Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Overhead pod removal instructions?

1K views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  jimb 
G
#1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the overhead pod - the one that holds the garage remote in the pre-99 ML? I had a recall repair of the trip computer, and now there's a little gap on one side. Not only that, I want to remove the pod to make it easier to place some wood (OK, fake wood) pieces on it.<br>
<br>
There are two visible screws once you pull the door down. I removed them, but I couldn't get the pod to pull loose. I really want to only remove the door and the curved piece that surrounds the sunroof control.<br>
<br>
One of the complaints about the add-on wood kits is that they too 'stuck-on'. By coloring the surrounding exposed plastic black, it helps to disguise the fact that the new wood is stuck on top. A Sharpie permanent marker can do a good job for very small places, but larger areas would benefit from using vinyl dye. <br>
<br>
BTW, I got my kit from wooddashfactory.com, and the match is perfect, even if it isn't 'real wood'.<br>
<br>
Chester

G
#3 ·
Re: How much di dit cost you for the kit and what are they?

The kit I got was the factory match add on wood kit. It is not real wood, but a plastic that looks 100% authentic, perfect match, none of that Buick-looking fake stuff. It has more pieces than I plan on installing, like the glove-box cover, but it does fill-in some of the needed areas.<br>
<br>
I ordered it from www.wooddashfactory.com. It currently sells for about $200. There are plenty of places that sell similar kits, and you can even get real burlwood from myroadster.net, but it is a bit pricier.<br>
<br>
HTH,<br>
Chester

G
#5 ·
Re: Hey Jim, here is ebay seller for the trim......

As long as you know it is not real he sells a complete kit for a reasonable price. I have had a few emails with him and he swears you will like it. I don't know anything for a sale. Just check his feedback. Seems to be the same kit others are selling at twice the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.