Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

all keys similar?

999 views 10 replies 0 participants last post by  JimB 
G
#1 ·
are all keys similar in cut and only the programing differs? can I use somebody else key and just reprogrammed it to my vehicle? thanks

G
#3 ·
No, each key is not only individually recognized by the ingition system, but also is specially laser cut for the ignition switch of that vehicle.<br> <br> I believe pre-02 vehicles come with 2 key-fob combo keys and a non-fob valet key (at least my 01 has this key setup).<br> <br> pmo

G
#4 ·
Yes Patrick you are correct, The reason I have three keys, one time I thought I lost my other key and i order one right away, And guess what as soon I received the key that I order I've found my lost key, Darn it. Now I have 3 remote key and 1 valet key :-((. $109.00 for extra key.

G
#5 ·
Jim..........

I just realize that they have stoppped distributing valet key middle of last year so I can't have it. I guess I'll have to pay the kefob ($117) at my dealer. How's the DVD bid going BTW?

G
#7 ·
$109 for a key. That is actually a pretty good price compared to what I have heard from others.<br> <br> None-the-less, it is a bummer to have to put out the extra cash for something you didn't really need in the end.<br> <br> Just think of it as a very expensive battery for when one of the batteries dies :)<br> <br> pmo

G
#9 ·
Patrick, you just don't know how I felt when I found my lost key i almost hit my head on the wall, I said how S.....d I was. You guys want to know where I found my lost key, it was inside the map pocket behind the driver seat. :-(( Yes pretty expensive battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.