Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone know how to adjust Torsion Bars to raise the car up/down. thx

2K views 16 replies 0 participants last post by  Chris Krikorian 
G
#1 ·
[No message]

G
#2 ·
It's like a 'key.' The dealer I believe can do it, but you would have to know someone well. The place I took mine to get lowered had purchased the 'key' from Mercedes Benz. I may be wrong, they might have been BS'ing me, but that's what I was told.<br> <br> -Chris

G
#4 ·
Just need the right wrench, but will it affect the

<br> You just need the right socket size, I have an ML 320, 2001, and did it after reading in this forum how to do it. You need a way to know how much you have lift it (maximum + or - 1 inch), I just measured the height to the fender lip, but this may not be the best/ recommended way to do it. There is a hole on the left and right sides (only for the front) where you find the tightening nut...<br> <br> But... I wonder if it will affect the shock absorber efficiency.. Do the ML shock absorbers have a sweet spot? Are we compressing the gas more? Can we use this to tune how soft/hard our vehicle is?<br> <br> On that note, does anybody know what are the working principles of the ML shocks..? Maybe.. how they differ between the 320, 430, 55? Can we interchange them..?<br> <br> AC<br>

G
#5 ·
I'm 10 minutes north of Boston

Exit 33 off 93. I have lowered my car 1.2' in the front and 1.25 in the rear. But I am swapping out my H&R springs and putting in the stock ones again because the car has the most uncomfortable ride imaginable when I have the 20' rims on in the summer. Seems like my 2 Bilstein shocks are shot in the front so they are replacing those under warranty. My front end is also higher than my rear, but once I put the stock springs in, it will look better. Plus if you do decide to lower the front, I urge you to change the shocks. Because at first I didn't, and my ride got progressivly worse, the stock shocks won't handle the lowered ride height.<br> Let me know watsup<br> <br> -Chris

G
#6 ·
Thanks AC, I'll give mine a shot one weekend, but it is not good for the stock shocks.

I experienced it. It was pretty crappy, but then again I had the 20' rims also. But I changed the shocks and that made a huuuuuge difference.

G
#7 ·
What shocks did you use..? Voids the ML warranty..?

What shocks did you get?.. My understanding is that Bilstean only have 1998-1999 shocks and that they are still working on the shocks for the ML 2000-2001 models..?<br> <br> In addition, my dealer 'Mercedes Benz of Houston North' mentioned that they will void my extended warranty if I change shocks..'<br> <br> thanks,<br> <br> AC<br>

G
#8 ·
I lowered my ML55 front around 1.25

There are two screws under the car that adjust the ride height, be very carefull to adjust them to exactly the same turns each. After lowering the car say 10 turns you will need to move it a couple of meters so the suspension will settle down, after you make final adjustments you need ot go and align the car again. I have lowered my ML55 with the stock shocks and it has given me a better control over my handling.<br> Let me know!<br> Thanks<br> Jose

G
#9 ·
Torsion Bar adjustment - Info

You'll find the information you need here<br> http://4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_torsion.html<br> <br> Anyone who's new to this site should check out these web site's they contain a wealth of knowledge.<br> <br> Harold's<br> http://4x4abc.com/index.html<br> <br> Wolfgang's<br> http://www.whnet.com/4x4/

G
#11 ·
Re: JB did you change the rear springs? what type?

I originally replaced my rear springs with H&R ML430. This gave me confort up front, real input from where my trunk was since it was very sensitive and stiff but I ended up removing them due to the harsh ride if I had passengers in the back. Otherwise I would have kept them.<br> I enjoy the ride with the stock AMG shocks and springs and lowered front!<br> take care,<br> Jose

G
#13 ·

I've ordered Eibach springs from TireRack. The Eibachs were said to be a lot smoother than the HR's.<br> <br> i'll let you know how it turns out.<br> <br> jd

G
#14 ·

As far as I know no one makes specific ML55 springs, that may explain some problems in my ride. The people that make springs for the ML offer the same model for the 430 and the 55, which is not right since the 55 has the AMG tuned suspension, (shocks, springs and bars).<br>
Hopefully one day they will make the suspension kit! <br>
Another thing is that no one has a specific ML55 exhaust system. <br>
I believe that every system is tuned to the cars output and sound, and that simply adding the ML430 system will not be the same. <br>
Imagine: on top of the ML430 exhaust is the ML55 power output and for desert add my supercharger to it!!!!! Ohh Boyyyyyy!!!!!!<br>
One exhaust that I really like is the Remus 2 piece, its a center resonator and the exhaust. I guess there will be no chance to ever getting one from Remus, but I will find one eventually

G
#15 ·
So from what I understand you can adjust the height....

So from what I understand you can adjust the height in the front about an inch and the back about an inch right....or is it just the front that can be adjusted....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.