Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear Brakes - '00 &'01 V8's - Service Report

1K views 14 replies 0 participants last post by  Pete Fagerlin 
G
#1 ·
I just got a call from my SA on my ML55 and the rear brake. (I had not been able to get to the dealer before Service closed on Friday because of bad rain and an accident blocking all traffic. The sales people were nice enough to get my car out for me.)<br>
Anyway, he said that the mechanic noted that BOTH rear pads (each wheel) were worn to within 1 mm of each other. Meaning, the right WAS NOT worn more than the left (as described in below posts). He said that on the car it look such but that when removed thay were clearly more equal.<br>
He said that the rear brakes wearing before the front brakes seems to be the norm for the V8's (except for '99-430 with the smaller OLD brakes).<br>
<br>
Maybe we need to do a poll to find out what is happening? For my part, my '00-55 got rear brakes at 25K, front brakes still good for 10-15K. The '99-430 got front brakes at 38K and rear brakes still good at 47k w/10K remaining.<br>
<br>
What is your experience with '00 & '01 V8 brakes?<br>
Post here so all may evaluate. (Also, my new brakes do still squeek at bit at parking. Still, no complaints since they did it for free.)<br>
<br>
Anyway, stay safe and keep on s<b><font color=#831525>M</font></b>i<b><font color=#831525>L</font></b>ing. - - - - <b><font color=#831525>Jüri</font></b>.<br><br>

See less See more
G
#2 ·
'00 ML430 22,000 Miles....

All front & rear pads changed at 22,000 miles. <br> One of the inside front pads was down to less than 1mm (did not have sensor) - other three front pads were at 4mm ish.<br> Rears were also down to about 3mm - so they were changed as well.<br> <br> I'm still amazed that the rear brakes wear quicker than the fronts - would seem to imply that the rear pads are undersized for this to happen ? Cost cutting ??<br> <br> Brakes still squeal - just like they've always done.... Tried pressure washing them - as suggested by another poster, no success.<br> <br> Tim in San Diego

G
#3 ·
I think he's full of it.

Why would the rear brakes wear more quickly than the fronts when the weight of the car is shifted to the front under braking, making the front brakes work harder than the rears?<br> <br> front brakes @ 21k and 43k<br> rear brakes @ 52k

G
#4 ·
Re: Thinking . . . Hey, I did my wife's brakes and mine WERE down in back.

Remember, I also tow a boat trailer (at 3,000 lb.)with the 430 and even do a good part of the regular driving with it. And I drive both ML's (about) the same.<br>
<br>
Let's see what others report so that the next of use has more ammunition when we go in with a problem. Let the numbers prove what is right or wrong.<br>
<br>
Keep the faith - - - - <b><font color=#831525>Jüri</font></b>.<br>

G
#5 ·
Re: Rear Brakes - '00 &'01 V8's - Service Report

My left rear outer pad wore out first, at about 20K miles. It gouged the rotor, so the MB dealer replace both rotors plus new pads under warranty. Fronts had about 30% remaining, so I paid to replace those.<br> <br> I was of the opinion that the caliper piston had stuck, but I never did learn for sure what happened. However, the Dealer did not indicate that they did anything to the caliper.<br> <br> Hope this helps.

G
#7 ·
Thanks for the kind words, whoever you are.

What is your experience with the ratio of front to rear brake wear in the ML (or any other car for that matter)?<br> <br> Anonymous sniping is easy. Supporting your claims is much more difficult.<br> <br> Pete<br> <br> p.s. '2001 ML V8' is pretty funny, in an ambiguous kind of way.

G
#8 ·
Who is full of what ?

Not sure if the above comment was aimed at me or what it means - although I could hazard a guess ;-)<br> But to re-iterate my findings - the rear pads were worn considerably more than the front and although this wear pattern would seem to go against the laws of physics, it is none the less true. Therefore it would imply that the rear pads are possibly undersized. Further the SA told me that rear pad wear exceeding that on the front is not unknown on ML430's.<br> I expect to change the pads again in 4-6 months at which time I'll photograph them as I expect the rears will be worn more.<br> FYI I don't tow anything, go off road, as far as I know the ABS / ESP or whatever has never activated on our ML.<br> Tim in San Diego

G
#9 ·
Actually Ive seen this happen a lot on the LX470s and landcruisers.

I work at a toyota dealer and noted a high amount of rear brake discs and pads being changed while the fronts were left alone on vehicles ranging from 15-20K miles. The technition said the EBD send more pressure to the rear of the vehicle to prevent nose diving and with the weight of those vehicles, the rear brakes take a beating(rear vented discs). He said most owners are unaware of such early pad wear on the rears making the pad backing grind into the rotors which cause the customers to come in the first place. Therefore the rotors get ruined. If the owners are lucky enough to ruin the rear brakes within the first 12K miles, they get a free set. Otherwise tough luck. I also noticed a lot of cars now having bigger rear rotors than front, the new dodge ram does, my lexus IS300 has 12.09 inch rears and 11.9 fronts.

G
#10 ·
Very interesting....

Hi Al,<br> <br> Maybe MB does something similar - certainly given the complexity of the ESP and other aids it wouldn't be beyond the relms of possibility.<br> Maybe they'll increase the rear rotor size (similar to Lexus) to alleviate this problem - if it is indeed a wide spread problem.<br> Tim in San Diego

G
#11 ·
Re: Rear Brakes - '00 &'01 V8's - Service Report

The ML has brake force distribution which transfers some of the braking power to the rear brakes under straight line braking. This is to aid in more even brake pad wear. This system does not function however under braking while cornering. Also the functioning of ESP/ASR and 4-ETS could also have an effect on the uneven wear as well.

G
#13 ·
Re: Force Distribution . . . Well aware of MB design. Question is, "What's YOUR experience....

Well I had my front pads and rotors replaced under warrenty at 34,000 KM. Now at 42,000 KM I need to have the rears done. I'm look for aftermarked rotors and pads as I'm not pleased with the short lifespan of the OEM ones. I'll most likely pick up a set of portified pads and cross drilled/slotted rotors for the rear. Another possiblity is purchasing a whole new brake system by brembo.

G
#14 ·
At the last service, they said 60% left in front and 40% in rear.

I have read articles about brakes becoming out of balance on older braking systems if you don't use the parking brake. I don't know how accurate this article was but it said over time on older braking systems the brakes would bias more to the front. With EBD always regulating the brake balance, maybe more rear wear is common. Maybe it has something to do with the more power from the drivewheels to the rear of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.