Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML320 rotor and brake pads replacement

5K views 14 replies 0 participants last post by  Drew 
G
#1 ·
my brake maintenance light is on again, today at the dealer he told me i need to change all 4 brake pads and 4 rotors, the car is 76k now.. does that sound right? and anyone done this, how much did u pay them? should i get aftermarket rotors + pads or mb brand? from this forum it sounds like mb pads wear down really fast, do the aftermarket ones wear down just as fast? thanks for your replies...<br> <br> dealer quoted me these prices<br> Rotors<br> F $116.25 EACH<br> R $107 EACH<br> <br> Brakes w/sensors<br> F $168.70 pair<br> B $146.0 pair<br> <br> $300 3 HOURS LABOUR<br> <br> total cost for parts will be $760 + $300 labour.. total $1060.. before tazes.. all prices are in canadian dollars<br> <br> <br> <br>

G
#2 ·
Price sounds OK. If you have not changed the pads before I think you set a new record. I god 40000 from my front pads on the 98 ML I had, rears were never changed. I am told that rotors usually last thru 2 sets of pads. The V8 ML's are a whole different story

G
#3 ·
At 76K, yes, that does sounds reasonable...

If you want the warranty (in case of squeaking or otherwise) go with the MB rotors and pads.<br> <br> Aftermarket pads may not wear down as quickly because they're harder, but they may wear your rotors faster as a result. If you would like to go with aftermarket pads, try the Porterfields ones. Those seem to be one of the most rotor friendly ones out there.<br> <br> Good luck!

G
#4 ·
Check below for parts+++++

http://www.parts.com/<br> Lists rotors for the ML320 at quite a bit less than dealer prices. Maybe you can buy them and tell the dealer somebody gave them to you as a birthday present. Actually, a good dealer will let you bring in your own parts/oil etc.

G
#5 ·
Re: Check below for parts+++++

Those parts prices are none too good. We offer the following:<br> <br> Front Rotors: $39 each<br> Rear Rotors: $35 each<br> Front Pads: $69<br> Rear Pads: $59<br> <br> Prices are in U.S. dollars.

G
#6 ·
If I am skeptical, but I can't help to notice in many boards the same complaint, ML's with as little as 35,000 miles in need of new rotors, and that means new, and shocked owners. I have a lowly GMC pick up with 148,000 miles and my rotors never have been turned much less replaced, I have to admit I am easy on the brakes, I anticipate and many of those miles are hwy miles, but is it not the main purpouse of the soft MB pads to avoid rotor wear? are your rotors cracked? are they worn so deeply? were your brakes pulsating? by your indications it was the brakes ligths that gave you the warning for brakes attention rather than you noticing some deficiency , when my ML needs new rotors, if it does, is going to be because it really does need them.<br> <br> On the other hand I will not fuzz when my Porsche needs new rotors, but then I know that in a Porsche they cant't be turned.<br> <br> I understand where many owners come from, peace of mind, dealer knows best, no time to hassle, convenience, no expertise, just get it over with and etc.

G
#8 ·
thanks for the tips guys.. maybe one reason why the the pads and rotors wear so fast because the weight of the truck and city driving(vancouvers gotta be the worst place to drive) my first brake change was 30K so i actually got 46K out of these brakes =P record eh? hehe.. sosh this is my 2nd brake change so i guess u're right have to change rotars but this is so lame since my integra is liek 10 years old and i never touched the rotars! anyone know the thickness of a NEW ml320 rotar compared to a worn one? thanks

G
#11 ·
Update on the squeal...

Sosh, just wanted to let you know that you were right (not that you didn’t already know it ;-) ) about the squeal. It is back! It came back within a couple of days (my SA also said it would). It is however significantly less than it was previously.<br> <br>

G
#12 ·
Tabo...

You're in Vancouver? Heh, I had no idea! Actually I haven't seen Porterfields being sold around here, so I don't know if you can even get them locally. You might want to check around though. Which dealership gave you that quote by the way?

G
#15 ·
Re: Tabo...

I go to the Boundary Road dealer to get my ML serviced as well! It's excellent there, and I always get good service. Don't be surprised if we run into each other one of these days. Don't forget to wave and honk if you see my ML.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.