Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Belt tensioner brand.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  art_arev 
#1 ·
Hi guys.
Has anyone have any experience with some of these belt tensioners. Which brand is advisable?
The dealer quoted $ 475-00 for original MB.
Amazon.com: 2000 ml320 belt tensioner: Automotive

PS. Is "Hella" fan clutch good? I saw a Hella fan clutch at Amazon for 85-00

#2 ·
Hi, Art.

Anything but URO is acceptable, so the one on your amazon link should be avoided. Their parts are just crap, okay for cosmetic stuff, but not for anything that will leave you stranded (or do other collateral damage when it fails).

Autohausaz.com, rmeuropean.com, bmaparts.com and of course parts.com are all good, reliable suppliers. (Though they sometimes will offer a URO part, so still avoid it.)

If your tensioner is troubled, then be sure to check the idler pulley, it's a part that will fail anywhere north of 85,000 miles or so. Easy to change, particularly if you're already going after the fan and tensioner. ;)

rmeuropean.com has a kit that includes the tensioner assembly, idler pulley and belt for $178: Mercedes CONTITECH Drive Belt Kit ADK0034P - RM European Auto Parts

Autohausaz.com has the Litens tensioner for $123, the Ina idler pulley for $18 and a Conti drive belt for $30, totalling $171, so a bit cheaper than rmeuropean. I'm not sure about rmeuropean but I think autohausaz does international shipping.

Hella is a quality manufacturer, and I would trust them.

Good luck all around.

#3 ·
Tks Check Codes. I know very well about URO. On the same page a bit lower there were another 3-4 other brands I wanted to ask out....
I am not able to buy from the suppliers you mentioned because of my location...So my only source is Amazon US.
Thanks again

#4 ·
Ah, okay. I usually don't trust parts listings on Amazon, but I'd look up the part on the manufacturer's site and use that to search on Amazon.

The Gates branded tensioner is fine, many folks have used it without issues.

Per their online application guide, the #38174 is correct for the tensioner assembly. The idler pulley is #38082 (both listed on the Amazon page). You could safely use the Goodyear belt that is shown at the top (#4060940) or the Gates is #K060942 and Amazon sells that for US$24.38, which is a bit cheaper than the Goodyear.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: art_arev
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.