Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Key question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pmount 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2000 ML 320 as a project car. If I provide the vin does anyone have the capabilities of checking to see if all the keys have been used up? It only has one currently. Or do I have to call Dealer

Thanks

Phil

#2 ·
If you get an honest dealer they can tell from the VIN how many keys have been used up.
However with a 2000 model you do not face the dreaded 8 slots being used and costing $2500 or more to fix.
In 2000 the AAM and EAM were tweaked and the drive authorization system became a much easier and cheaper issue to fix if keys became the issue.

#4 ·
I have a 98 and was absolutely paranoid about how many keys had been used. I think it was that Noodles dude that made me that way :D. Mine came with two key fobs and one would start the car but not work the doors and alarm. The other would not start the car but would lock doors and set the alarm. So my wife manged to loose the one key that didnt start things and I drove around with one key thinking it might be cheaper to buy a new(er) ML than replace the 98's single AAM and get new keys. Well not much more expensive anyway to get a newer one. The parts guy here is really good and helps with parts and info and what he said was he orders the new key and then the MB key place in Texas will check the records and if there is a slot they will make the new key and if not they cancel the order and inform the ordering dealer/parts department. It turns out that in my case only three slots had ever been used so my new key was the fourth. However my wife just managed to loose the other key AGAIN so guess what I'm doing AGAIN this week :crybaby2::surrender:

Your 2000 has 24 slots so the previous owners would have to have multiple wives like mine to get you into trouble....

Reactions: B2FiNiTY
#5 ·
Thanks, did purchase a 2000 ML 430 so I think I will be on here a lot! Too much spare time or something. 2 owner, 117,000 miles with all the lights on so when new Foxwell scanner gets here I will see if I am smart enough to run it!

Many questions to follow.

#6 ·
I've had mine for just over 2 years now and have zero regrets on buying it over a much newer Explorer. So you'll learn to love yours once you get past the paranoid about everything stage LOL.

The ML's aren't near as bad as the reputation makes them out and they are surprisingly easy and sometimes fun to work on so you'll enjoy your 430 for years to come. Stuff is usually easy to get at and it makes sense on how to do things unlike other domestic cars which is surprising. If you DIY the maintenance and order the good parts from the online places (check here on the forum on whats good or bad first) then its pretty cheap to maintain. I compared parts prices to that 08 exploder and the MB bits can be 1/3 the price. My 98 is also still much more solid feeling than that one was as well.

Welcome to the forum!

#8 ·
Appreciate the support, please remember when either Art or 43 or Noodles or all the other fantastic posters here get real upset at my stupid questions, I will learn and then hope to help in future. Been through 123's, 124's, 210 's, 164's, and now have the 166. Kids have 203 and 163 and now I do and I just love them, at least now I do. Looking forward to a group of enthusiasts !

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.