Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Aftermarket Headunit

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RG-1999ML320 
#1 ·
So I was thinking about purchasing an aftermarket head unit as currently I have the stock unit (Bose surround, no navi)

I purchased a Pioneer head unit only to find out that it wouldn't fit. The one I bought was the AVH-X3500BHS. So I'm looking for another one and as long as it fits my suv, has an AUX port, and Bluetooth capability I'm fine with it, maybe some sort of Navi too?

Also I had a few questions about which head units would work with the Bose amp that's already in the car. I'm not looking for anything to pricey, I bought the Pioneer one for around $350 so I'm looking for something around there or even under ! I'm also looking to add an amp and 2 10" subs later on. For anyone who's upgraded there headunit and added subs I'd like to hear from you ! :D

Another thing is that I live in Ontario (Canada) So something that I'd be able to find here please !

#2 · (Edited)
I'm sure you will get some help here, but if you do an advanced search on the word "Pioneer" and limit it to the W163 forum you will get 250 threads on this very topic.

I'm not suggesting Pioneer is the way to go, but these threads all cover the same sorts of issues you face.

You will be able to answer most of your questions probably more quickly than waiting on others to retype the same answers for you.

And try this thread - its detailed and covers the same unit you have that you want to ditch : http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1721472-questions-about-new-radio-install.html

Reactions: art_arev
#3 ·
So I was thinking about purchasing an aftermarket head unit as currently I have the stock unit (Bose surround, no navi)

I purchased a Pioneer head unit only to find out that it wouldn't fit. The one I bought was the AVH-X3500BHS. So I'm looking for another one and as long as it fits my suv, has an AUX port, and Bluetooth capability I'm fine with it, maybe some sort of Navi too?
Please elaborate "wouldn't fit".
Too big for opening? Doesn't slide all the way in? Etc...?
There's a cage made for W163's. When you realize it wouldn't slide all the way in (flush), that means you'll need to snip/cut/saw the 2 plastic tabs that are sticking out (or inward, towards each other).

CONNECTS2 CT23MB08 Double DIN Install Dash KIT FOR 1998 2006 Mercedes M Class | eBay

#4 ·
Please elaborate "wouldn't fit".
Too big for opening? Doesn't slide all the way in? Etc...?
There's a cage made for W163's. When you realize it wouldn't slide all the way in (flush), that means you'll need to snip/cut/saw the 2 plastic tabs that are sticking out (or inward, towards each other).
Yeah there was 2 tab's sticking out. Also that Double Din Kit is pretty expensive, there has to be some sort of cheaper method !

#6 ·
I had a Kenwood DDX470 in my 98 ML320 that I just swapped out for a JVC KW-R900BT. One of the things I didn't like about the Kenwood DDX470 is that it didn't sit flush with the dash. Side by side, the JVC is the same size as the Kenwood, but the JVC fits perfectly. I think the problem was the cage. The Kenwood had the type where you push the head unit in until it locks in place, and it was locking in place before the unit was flush. The JVC has the type where you attach a couple brackets to the side, which have screw holes that line up with screw holes on the cage. That let me push it back until it was flush. I picked up the JVC refurbished, for only about $40 more than that W163 mounting kit.

#11 ·
Just in case anyone wants bluetooth without changing the head unit, the GoGroove Flexsmart X2 is amazing. It was $35.00 and I can stream music from my phone and my calls act just like a new head unit. It has a mic on it and the sound comes through the car audio system. It even mutes the music when a call comes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.