Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Complete Differential Service Kit

10K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  ECSTuning 
#1 ·

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Genuine Mercedes-Benz Differential Service Kit - $27.78*

In order to keep the front and rear differentials functioning properly, it is recommended that their fluid be changed every 50,000 miles.

ECS Tuning has made it easy to follow this service recommendation with this differential service kit.

This differential service kit will work for either the front or rear differential in your M-Class, but if you need to change the fluid in both differentials, you will need two kits.

This kit includes the following items:

One (1) Differential Drain Plug
One (1) Differential Fill Plug
One (1) Differential Drain Plug Seal
One (1) Differential Fill Plug Seal
Two (2) Liters of Mobil 1 75W-90 LS Synthetic Gear Oil

This kit includes all genuine Mercedes-Benz products, so when you change the fluid in your differential, you can do it with confidence knowing that you are using the same products that are used by the Mercedes-Benz technicians at the dealership.

*Price subject to change.

See less See more
#4 ·
In the original post

"This differential service kit will work for either the front or rear differential in your M-Class, but if you need to change the fluid in both differentials, you will need two kits."

I would probably order one of these if it used the 85-90 Oil that is used from the factory.

#8 ·
I would like to clarify some things about our Differential Service Kit that we have for sale.

It has been pointed out that it does not include Genuine Mercedes-Benz gear oil, but instead includes Mobil 1 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil. This Mobil 1 oil is branded as a Genuine Mercedes-Benz product because it comes from the Mercedes-Benz dealership and is sold with a Mercedes-Benz part number (Q1090085). Mercedes-Benz sells many Mobil products as Genuine. Anyone that has ever bought engine oil from the dealership knows that you get Mobil 1 bottles from the parts department. The same holds true for this gear oil. It is stocked at the dealer and sold as a genuine product.

That being said, there are also Mercedes-Benz branded gear oils of various MB specifications. We also carries these Mercedes-Benz branded options for gear oil, as well as for many other products in the Mercedes-Benz model line.

It was also brought up that the Genuine Gear Oil we offer for the W163, sold here and in this kit, is the incorrect fluid. This is not the case. As you can see on the back of the fluid container, this Gear Oil meets MB Spec 235.7 as well as MB Spec 235.74, which is the specification for the fluid that is to be used in both differentials on the W163 chassis M-Class per the WIS (Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A).

According to the Mercedes-Benz fluid specification sheets, the only genuine MB oil on sheet 235.74 is 001 989 33 03

Furthermore, the gear oil in question (001 989 33 03) is not specifically for the W210. The screenshot of the MB EPC that 43sqd posted, with the green and red arrows, shows part number 001 989 17 03 as being the oil for the W210. This oil is No Longer Available from MB, and was superseded to a new part number, which is 001 989 33 03. This oil (001 989 33 03) takes the place of 001 989 17 03 because it meets the specifications, however, it was not designed specifically for the W210.

As far as the kit containing drain and fill plugs, we include these because many people will find that that their drain or fill plugs are damaged during removal. Or, if you are not the first owner of your car and you go to service the differential, you may find that the previous owner or shop damaged these plugs by using the incorrect tools for the job. We include these plugs for your convenience. If you would prefer, we do offer each component in these kits individually.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings about this differential service kit, and if anyone has any further questions, please feel free to post or send a PM.

#10 ·
There are no haters here. The picture posted is from a ORIGINAL Benz container. It doesnt look like a mobile 1 to me....

Plus ML takes SAE 85W 90. That is a FACT. If you choose to use 75W 90 its your choice. I know people who uses 140W 75. Its up to you.........But that doesnt change the fact that recommended gear oil for the ML is 85W 90

#14 ·
I don't understand everyone's obsessive need to stroke their internet ego, on the w163 pages. If anyone other than the regular 10-15 people, says anything slightly different or in conflict with before mentioned "regulars" they get assaulted with overwhelming amounts of elitism, arrogance, and derogation. Dont get me wrong I appreciate the information as much as the next person, but really your going to argue with an website sponsor?!?! What a great way to show our appreciation and understanding of his monetary contribution to keep this website running by than nit-picking a HELPFUL sales pitch. Hes not selling a below MB standard product, hes not duping people (I apologize if your a female), he does not have overly expensive products sold, hes trying to get a little kick back for his investment.

Sure you can quote noodle and others of his stature and reputation on this website to help deface other peoples position, but please note that you are quoting someone that cannot understand why a automobile is more likely to over-heat traveling up hill and is conversely related while the automobile is traveling down hill.

This is a site for the transfer and collection of knowledge. what you do with that knowledge is your own personal choice. As such I encourage the free transfer of information, but not to the point that it turns into a high school gossip circle of attacks to protect your own self developed elitism!

So go-ahead tear down those that support the infrastructure for your pedestal. Continue to wow people with your expansive knowledge in regards to MB standards and operation (that totally has to get you laid) and shove your values and car morals upon those without the personal fiber to tell you to shove off. :smashpc:

#15 ·
Mike's ML,

On your recommendation, I have put together kits that include Two (2) Drain Plugs, Two (2) Fill Plugs, and Three (3) Containers of Oil, so that customers can have an option to buy a kit that will service both the front and rear differentials.

The kit with the Genuine MB Branded Oil can be found HERE.

The kit with the Mobil 1 can be found HERE.

Also, if you do not want to buy complete kits with drain and fill plugs as well as the sealing washers, you can buy each component individually, so that you are only getting the components you want.

You can buy the Genuine Mercedes-Benz Branded Oil, which meets MB Specs 235.7 AND 235.74, as noted on the back of the bottle, and mentioned in the WIS (Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A) HERE, you can buy the Mobil 1 Oil HERE. The Drain and Fill Plugs, along with their respective seals (Drain and Fill Plug are the same part number, as are their seals) are available HERE.

As far as the savings versus buying these items directly from the dealership, I cannot say for certain. Many dealerships will charge a different retail price than the next, although I can say that our price on the gear oil is significantly less than the dealership suggested retail price.

I hope this information helps in your decision, and if there is any more information I can provide, please don't hesitate to post or send a PM!

#16 ·
HappyFeet,

Thank-You for the kind words.

As was mentioned, in no way am I trying to perpetrate any sort of ruse. I am only trying to offer quality parts at competitive pricing. The products that are being offered here will not damage your M-Class in any way, but the bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable using a particular product, don't use it.

As for the oil being 75W-90 instead of 85W-90, we are simply offering in our kits what is recommended for use by Mercedes-Benz in the WIS (Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A) to meet specifications. These specifications, by the way, that mainly correlate with API GL-5 specifications (which the Mobil 1 oil meets, by the way). 75W and 85W, being SAE WINTER Viscosity Grades, really only make a difference in extremely cold temperatures.

Per ASTM D 2983, the Maximum temperature for a viscosity of 150,000 cP in the following Winter grade oils is:

70W = (-55°C)
75W = (-40°C)
80W = (-26°C)
85W = (-12°C)

Meaning, the lower the W number on your container of Multi-Grade oil, the colder the temperature that oil is able to offer protection at. The 75W offers protection at LOWER temperatures than the 85W. So if you live in a climate that could see temperatures as low as -40°C, it is recommended that you use a 75W oil. If you live in a hot climate, you can use whatever you like as the WINTER number, since it will not likely be relevant.

You will do no damage to the differentials in your M-Class by using a 75W-90 instead of an 85W-90. In fact, you will actually be offering protection to the gears at a broader temperature range by using 75W-90.

I hope this offers some clarity to the difference between multi-grade oils and their WINTER weights. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or send a PM.

#17 · (Edited)
43sqd,

I am truly sorry for any confusion that my original post caused to you, or any others on the forums. I posted the kit with the Mobil 1 because of its excellent price for a complete differential service kit, especially a kit with all of the items coming directly from the Mercedes-Benz Dealership. I was unaware that so many people took issue with Mobil 1, especially since it is a product recommended by Mercedes-Benz, and meets API GL-5 specifications. I doubt Mercedes-Benz would sell this oil at their dealerships if it caused damage to customers vehicles.

As far as the 85W-90 Hypoid Gear Oil (000 989 28 03) that you mentioned as being for the ML, you are indeed correct. This oil, which again, is an 85W-90 can be used in the ML. In fact, in the WIS (Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A), there are two circles filled in for 'Front axle (4Matic)' and its recommended fluid specifications, as well as SAE grades that can be used noted to the side under SAE grade. One of which is 85W-90 for the Can Be Used oil. On the sheet you will notice the two circles, one is an empty circle (meaning CAN BE USED), which corresponds to Specification Sheet 235.0 (which, by the way, is the specification sheet on which you will find 000 989 28 03). The other circle is a solid circle (meaning SHOULD BE USED), which corresponds to Specification Sheet 235.74 (which is the sheet on which you will find 001 989 33 03). That is for the 'Front Axle (4Matic)' only.

As for the rear differential / 'Rear axle model 163' (Per Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A), there is only one circle, a solid one (meaning SHOULD BE USED), and it is under Sheet No. 235.74 (Once again, the sheet that shows 001 989 33 03 as being the only genuine Mercedes-Benz oil to be used).

As was pointed out in my previous post, you will do no damage to your differentials by using a 75W-90 vs. an 85W-90. In fact, you will be offering protection to the gears and bearings at lower temperatures, and covering a broader temperature range.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of using any grade of oil that they choose, from any manufacturer that they choose. After all, it is your car and it is your choice what products you use and who you buy them from. I am only trying to offer the products that Mercedes-Benz recommends for this vehicle. If you would prefer to use the 85W-90, which again, Mercedes-Benz approves for use (Per Document No. BB00.40-P-0231-01A), by all means, do so. We carry it, along with many, many other Genuine Mercedes-Benz service products. You can find it on our site HERE.

Attached to this post, you will find the WIS Document BB00.40-P-0231-01A. Notice that under 'SAE grade' it list 85W-90 as well as 90 (indicating that it is not a multi-grade oil suitable for Winter use), and an empty circle under 'Sheet no. 235.0, meaning that the 85W-90 oil (000 989 28 03) CAN BE USED, and also notice that there is a solid circle under Sheet no. 235.74, meaning the 75W-85 (001 989 33 03) SHOULD BE USED. Again, also notice that there is ONLY A SOLID CIRCLE under 'Rear axle model 163' (Meaning the Rear Differential in W163 Chassis M-Class vehicles) for Sheet no. 235.74, once again, meaning that 001 989 33 03 SHOULD BE USED in this application. Notice also that under 'Rear axle model 163' there is no empty circle for Sheet no. 235.0 meaning that oils on Sheet 235.74 are the ONLY oils that should be used for the rear differential in the W163 Chassis M-Class. The only genuine Mercedes-Benz branded oil on Sheet no. 235.74 is 001 989 33 03. The only other product on this sheet is a Mobil 1 product.

Please have a look at Oil Specification Sheet No. 235.74 as provided by bevo.mercedes-benz.com HERE.

Attachments

#23 ·
... and also notice that there is a solid circle under Sheet no. 235.74, meaning the 75W-90 (001 989 33 03) SHOULD BE USED.
The above came from post #17.

@ECSTuning: Thanks for these bundles. Bad timing for me because I bought a bunch of this fluid at one of your competitors (at a higher price) before you posted this. I will certainly check your site for future purchases.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused. A few times you mentioned that 001 989 33 03 is 75W-90, but the link is for 75W-85. I believe the 75W-85 that is listed is the correct stuff, right?

thanks!

#20 ·
It was no problem at all to clarify things. We are happy to help. We want to provide you with excellent customer service, and a full line of genuine and aftermarket Mercedes-Benz parts and accessories.

Again, please don't hesitate to post or send a PM with any questions you may have!

#19 · (Edited)
After reading this rather lively post (love it when someone defends their position with facts), I am interested in your kit.
When I clicked the link for the kit that includes the MB fluid to check pricing, I get an Amazon page selling: Mercedes-Benz Mesh Flexfit Baseball Hat, Genuine MB Product.
Don't think will fit into the diff too easily :)

Never mind. After I posted this reply and went back to the link, I get to the right place. Will be placing an order soon.

#21 ·
After reading this rather lively post (love it when someone defends their position with facts), I am interested in your kit.
When I clicked the link for the kit that includes the MB fluid to check pricing, I get an Amazon page selling: Mercedes-Benz Mesh Flexfit Baseball Hat, Genuine MB Product.
Don't think will fit into the diff too easily :)
Oldirty88,

I have gone through the links that I posted, and do not see any that lead to Amazon. Do you remember which link did you click on and in which post? I would like to fix any links that may be sending customers to the incorrect page.

Thanks

#24 ·
todd_raleigh,

You are indeed correct. That was my mistake saying 75W-90. The oil is 75W-85, but all of the information about it holds true. Thank-you for pointing this out. I have fixed my errors in the previous posts.

I'm sorry that you had to pay more for this product from a competitor. Be sure to check with us next time for great prices on Genuine Mercedes-Benz products, as well as aftermarket and performance parts. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.