Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Projector headlamps for ML55 with factory xenon

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  MeBenzButNotBreak 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased a 2001 ML55 and would love to replace the factory xenon headlamps with projector lights to get an updated look.

From what I've read, the plug is different on the factory xenon lights and as such, the after-market projectors will not be plug-and-play...

Is there any solution for this? Ideally I would like to put on a set of the projector lights with the DRLs built in (such as those from Ebay).

:confused:

#2 ·
And the journey begins for you. Good stuff!!!! I think there is a pigtail adaptor for that you will probably find that on eBay as well. I got the same lights of eBay from the seller fishcake. My LED driver died in them in one after about 18 months but I did a complete LED upgrade to 3w LEDs and drivers in mine they a as bright now as the factory ones. The rest of the headlight has been great and still is their getting on to 2 to 3 years old know. They where the Bi xenon ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Hmmm. I've had all of 2 days to look at my ML55 so I'm not sure of my facts (and I'm not with the car this week). But I think my factory Xenons may have self levelling motors in them to adjust the up/down trim on the beam ?? If this is true, and you have the same, are you banking on losing that when you swap over to projector lights?

What do you mean by "DRLs built in". I know DRL means Daytime Running Light but what do you mean by "built in"? Do you just mean the low beam lights are switched on automatically in low light conditions - like in the post face-lift MLs - as this feature entails a light sensor and switching which is external to the head light unit.

#8 ·
Hmmm. I've had all of 2 days to look at my ML55 so I'm not sure of my facts (and I'm not with the car this week). But I think my factory Xenons may have self levelling motors in them to adjust the up/down trim on the beam ?? If this is true, and you have the same, are you banking on losing that when you swap over to projector lights?

HNY Rob the lights he's looking at still have that feature. They are also bi xenon and the LED strip is under the projector.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
Pretty much all the information you need is here in this forum. I updated my '01 ML430 with a pair of '02+ Xenon projector assemblies and encountered the wiring change requirement. The headlight connectors are the same, but for some reason a few of the pins were re-assigned in the connector year to year. Instead of using an adapter I rewired the headlight connector itself, which isn't all that difficult to do once you find good information (what pin needs to go where). I don't remember more than one wire needing to be relocated (but that was years ago now). With the appropriate tool, the pins of the connector are removable and then relocatable, but if you are not comfortable with taking on this job or have never done something similar, I would advocate you search for the adapter. Years ago an outfit called Performance Products used to carry this adapter assembly (see pic) for their aftermarket headlight unit.

Pre-Projector M-Class headlight connector pinouts

All MY2000 M-Classes have these two headlight connectors
Some versions may not have all of the wires/pins in the connectors

Eight position connector with two rows of four
==============================================
pin A pink wire low beam
pin B orange wire range adjustment motor
pin C blue wire range adjustment motor
pin D - not used
pin E tan wire ground
pin F blue marker lamp (sometimes called city lights)
pin G white high beam
pin H gray foglamp

Three position connector with single row of three
=================================================
pin A tan wire ground
pin B blue wire standing/parking lamp
pin C green wire turn signal lamp'.

Attachments

#19 ·
Not good practice to post the same question on two threads by other members just 20 minutes apart. It won't get you a quicker response - it just splits the discussion and will likely diminish the value.

If you have a question, post it once and wait patiently for some help to arrive.

Also, consider starting your own thread if your question is significantly different from that of the person who started the thread, or is likely to divert the discussion from solving their original problem.

Reactions: art_arev
#20 ·
Renn,
Ebay answered your question:
IF you have Factory Xenon Headlights:
* For the Originally Xenon equipped car owners, this set of headlight is NOT for you.

Noodles answered your question on this tread...
RJV answered your question on the other tread..
Please dont open a new tread about the same issue...

#21 ·
I normally would have deleted it but was reading from bottom to top with older posts first and running my giant Xerox iGen for a perforated postcard job. I was all over and had to log in a couple of times. So once I saw Rob answered it I repeated the answer here.

If the double posts were not part of existing threads with useful info one of them would have been gone.
Just had one in the W164 forum start a new thread about the same thing three times in a row. I deleted two of them. Then got a hostile response so that newbie is gone.

Renntech55 is learning the site and we should all stick together as W163 owners. It is the last of the body on frame built mid size true SUV with much better than SUV manners on paved roads. A rare beast and if not abused basically indestructible.

I plan to add 2005 ML500 to our household very soon. Just looking for that perfect deal. My wife really wants a G55. I can't afford that at this time.

#22 ·
So I guess the string begs the questions: (I have a 2000 ML55, original headlamps, self leveling motors).

I don't like the old look. I want the new look. However I don't want to spend a lot of money (I clicked on the link above and do not think that new headlights (at least those ones) are worth paying essentially 10% of the cars value.

1. What is the best solution to get the new look?
2. Does the pig tail work or does it not and is it available?
3. What is the cheapest (viable) solution?
4. I bought Depot Projection Replacements. Obviously they don't work. I cannot return them. I would like to try the pigtail option, give up the self leveling thing and make them work. Otherwise I will post them here for sale for what I paid for them.

I thought this would be the easiest upgrade but boy was I wrong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.