Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY Antenna Cover

10K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  idesignpete 
#1 ·
lost my antenna cover a while back and to my surprise MB does not sell this part on its own... well thanks to my 3D printer the problem was solved in 30 minutes :)

bad picture. it looks actually quite nice.

it also came in handy to print retainer plugs for the door panels and the anti noise capsule.

See less See more
#10 ·
3D printers just rock. I broke a brake cooling duct inlet that is no longer mad by Roush, but I had its twin from the other side. I gave it to the tech teacher at our local high school and the class made me a perfect pair. It really was amazing to watch it form.

We are seriously considering getting a MakerBot for and delving into it as a side line and for learning purposes.

#13 ·
considering getting a MakerBot
why a makerbot?

what you see in the pictures is a flashforge creator dual. which is basically a makerbot clone but at around half the price ($1100) minus the fancy led light and metal frame.
i fitted an $9 led strip from amazon and it looks just as nice in my opinion. actually i argue i have better illumination than the makerbots.

Then again if you have spare cash or an organization is buying it, the metal frame is surely a nice thing to have.

#24 ·
I think you should make the fender flares plastic clips .... at 20 per car the demand is there !

#29 ·
I installed mine tonight with Gorilla Super Glue. One of the four fit perfectly. One other could have been worked on to fit but the other 2 you sent me would look pretty on a tit cone bra at the strip bar. :D

Here's a pic of the finished product:

Attachments

#30 ·
I was under the understanding that the probe that sticks up is just the phone antenna and the GPS antenna is the base section and the radio antenna is in the back glass. If I am correct, why can't I just cut off the probe portion that is broken and just cap off with epoxy?
Mike

#31 ·
do it ...it would be curious as to how it looks. with some primer and a little bit of paint it will probably look good. personally i like the little antenna stub :) even if its totally useless as you mentioned. Clipping the little tip...ts ts ts a german car is supposed to be uncircumcised! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.