Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel Filter Never Needs Changed?

7K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I took my car to an indy shop that I always go to and asked them to replace my fuel filter since I'm at 110k miles on the original filter. The mechanic said the fuel filter on ML's don't ever need changed and basically talked me out of doing the work. I thought this was strange since he could have made money off it. About a week later I decided I would have it done anyway and took it in to a different mechanic, and this one told me the same thing and I left without having it replaced. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

#3 ·
The mechanic said the fuel filter on ML's don't ever need changed and basically talked me out of doing the work. I thought this was strange since he could have made money off it. About a week later I decided I would have it done anyway and took it in to a different mechanic, and this one told me the same thing and I left without having it replaced. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Time for a new mechanic. If he is that misinformed on a fuel filter imagine what other routine service or incorrect fluids he may have used?

#5 · (Edited)
I took my car to an indy shop that I always go to and asked them to replace my fuel filter since I'm at 110k miles on the original filter. The mechanic said the fuel filter on ML's don't ever need changed and basically talked me out of doing the work. I thought this was strange since he could have made money off it.
You thought right. I have a 05 500 and the book says to do the FF every 60K/5yrs to maintain peak performance. However, my maintenance booklet calls for FF replacement at 65K, 130K and 195K....every 65K. If you do a lot of off roading/drive in dusty environments, I would suggest 30K intervals.

#10 ·
I don't know what is involved with replacing a FF on an ML, but $600 for the FF sounds steep, very steep. Find and independent shop in your area to do it. Most of it is labor. Buy the FF yourself and if you don't trust independents (if you have one available), ask your local Nissan/Mazda/whatever to do it for you. The task is same but the cost will be less.

#11 ·
I had to change mine at 90k because it was clogged. The truck wouldn't run. It was a complete pain to do it and I ended up breaking the plastic clip that attached to the pump thereby requiring additional parts. Not a hard job, just very very difficult to get to because of enclosed space. You have to remove the rear wheel and a cover under the back seats... possibly the wheel well as well..

That was 150k ago and no problems since. It's likely that I was getting bad/dirty fuel for a while there.

#12 ·
Thanks for that testimony - it is mostly labor (like we all didn't know that!). That is why I advise the OP to get the part and use someone else with a lower labor rate to do the job - I do that all the time because it's my $ anyway and I don't like DIYs that involve fluids.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't think there is such a thing as a filter that never has to be replaced. I mean all filters are meant to filter somthing, which means they accumulate that something, and they cannot do that indefinetly since their capacity has to be limited by their size and all. That's pretty basic common sense, tell me if I'm wrong. Having said that, I've never replaced mine, it may have been done at one time before, but not during the last 4 years or so. It's under the plastic wheel well cover, easy access once you manage to pull that cover off, gotta put it on jack and take the wheel off naturally, but I don't know what's involved into dismantling it. I'm sure it's not worth $600 of labor, though the filter itself costs like seventy bucks. Still, even $500 is a crapload of money for a freakin' filter.

#20 ·
quick question my fuel filter was replaced at 65,000 with the larger filter a163-477-07-01. does that mean my fuel lines were updated as well? i believe i should be able to see it when i rotate my tires on the frame well, but if you can only put larger filter only w/ updated lines cool, but i dont have anything to say it was updated

#23 ·
Got a question, are the upgraded filter and 3 lines standard on '02 and up ML 320 models. I just found a nice black '02 at a scrap yard with some parts I need. Figured I would grab that filter as well if someone here can confirm, Thanks

#27 ·
I am due for an fuel filter as well and while searching for part RM European came up with this number for my MY03 ML350 "163 477 08 01".

Anybody know if this is a newer version to replace the 163 477 07 01?

#28 ·
i would think so, as they usually change one number on the filter higher, but let the experts on these machines verify it for you. thank you 43sqd and Mike's ML for your help again. took wheel off and cover,because i wasn't sure w/my lighted mirror what i was looking at and i do have the line loop which i was looking at w/the mirror. so around every 65,000 miles replace it so it is do on my ml soon. thanks again as i am very much still learning this wonderfully built ml. every body is great on this forum:thumbsup:

#31 ·
But what if saving $50 for a $5 used one doubles the job? IMO it is not worth risk. This filters are so annoying to replace that I would only put new ones in.
Mahle makes a great OEM replacement and they are about $50-55 all over the interweb. Now getting the lines is another story. Getting them for $5 is a steal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.