Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

front ashtray removed, but can't remove bulb

22K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
hi all,

wondering if anyone can help me.

thanks to many WIS docs, and posts from others, i was able to remove the center console and the ashtray... but i can't seem to remove the lighter element and the bulb to replace the bulb.

there are no screws to separate the ashtray/lighter housing...

any thoughts/advise?

thanks,
maneesh

#3 ·
thanks

43sqd, thanks my friend.

i was able to use this WIS to remove the ashtray from the console. However, the ashtray, cigarette lighter is all inside one package... i'm trying to remove the lighter element to change the bulb.

I can't seem to find a way to disassemble the ashtray, lighter, casing, etc.

#5 ·
images

please see attached images.

first image is the ashtray and lighter - with the front wood facade removed.
second photo is the underside... The top of the photo is where the wood facade attaches to.

Thanks,
maneesh

Attachments

#6 ·
Pry here.
Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle

And here.
Automotive lighting Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

And here.
Audio equipment

The bulb is housed inside the blue casing. Slide/lift casing off.
On the opposite side of that copper strip, squeeze the sides, then pull/lift/snap the casing apart to expose that cute little bulb (try not to break it when attempting to remove bulb).

#7 · (Edited)
thanks...

really appreciate you figuring this out.

i did pry out the ones on the side and manage to pull out the round housing some more but did not know and could not figure out to pry on top of the housing.

i had to put it back together yesterday so did so w/o changing the bulb... I guess i'll do it another time..

Yep - I could see the bulb in the blue casing... so close but so far away... :)

again - thanks for your assistance..

I just realized... If the above is the case, then the bulb can be removed w/o removing the console. The only thing that would actually prevent you is that the wires for the lighter and bulb are held to the casing using a wire tie in the back. This would prevent the lighter from moving out of the housing. However, I cut the wire-tie, did not replace it, so my wires are more mobile now... I think I can actually do this w/o removing the console since there's no wire tie.

Update: not enough room to pry at the top. I guess i'll have to take out the console and try again...

#9 ·
The advice earlier in this thread is misleading. There is no way to remove the lighter housing with the ashtray in place.

As the photos show, the right rear corner of the housing has a peg that slides along a groove to lift the lighter as the ashtray opens. Prying at the top can only cause breakage of this peg, leading to sagging of the lighter housing as discovered by CGL. (The peg projects from an extension of the right side of the lighter housing that fits through a narrow gap between the hinged upper and lower sections of the ashtray.)

Attachments

#13 ·
Carefully cut through the cable tie behind the lighter. Pry at the sides of the lighter housing to remove. Push the lighter rearwards out of its mounting hole to access the bulb. The blue bulb enclosure doesn't need to be removed - open it by prying with your smallest flathead screwdriver at 6 places.

Attachments

#14 ·
The MB part number for the bulb is N 072601 012230, which you can substitute with Philips 12516 or Osram Sylvania 2721.

After you replace the bulb and squeeze the enclosure together, you will have to straighten out the copper strip at the back to ensure good contact.

Enjoy the restored function of your ashtray light.

Attachments

#17 ·
I'd like to resurrect this post and firstly thank Dr X and the creator of the video posted by 4wd430, the information in both was invaluable. I recently removed my console/ashtray to fix the sliding cover on the small storage box, and replace the cig lighter with a twin USB outlet. I have a few comments that may help anyone else doing this job and inevitably finds this post.

1. Sliding cover - Incidentally I have never seen such a badly overengineered example of automotive detail design, unnecessary complex and made to fail! The cover was sticking as two of the cross bars had come unstuck and another three were unstuck at the edges causing it to jam. The fix was simple, glue them back into place (I used Loctite 60second General Purpose glue and it worked a treat!) apply some silicon lubricant to the groove, and lo and behold it works as it should and is very smooth.

2. I ran into a few problems with the ash tray. Try as I might, once it was out of the console, I could not remove the tray and lighter assembly from the ashtray housing as in Post #12 above. In the end I pried the front of the lighter housing from it's swivel points in the tray, then stuck a small screwdriver in the outside edge of the tray and using a torch through the rear of the ashtray housing, managed to remove the final peg from it's sliding groove, and out popped the housing with lighter. Incidentally once it is out you can remove the ashtray by squeezing both sides, no need for leverage, it comes out easily. Once I removed the lighter from the housing, fitting the USB outlet to the housing was just a case of reaming out the hole slightly, cutting off the plug and attaching the + and - wires to the USB outlet (the illumination connection is not required). I tried to put back the tray with the lighter housing assembled to the tray but found it impossible. In the end I used much the same process as removal, fitting the ashtray first, then sliding the lighter housing in and with a torch in the back, feeding the peg back into it's slider slot. The lighter housing pivots were then pried back in to the tray, various covers and damper replaced, and I had a working ashtray once again! I do feel that an access hole cut out in the ashtray housing would have made this job a lot simpler. The power to the outlet switches on at the ignition switch position I.

I am delighted with the results for what was not a complex or time consuming job, I no longer have to fumble in the passenger footwell with adaptors and cables to use my SatNav or charge my phone, the Aux 12v socket is reserved for my dashcam alone, and my sliding storage box cover now has a classy smooth operation more befitting of a Mercedes! The USB outlet came from Amazon by the way for not a lot of money.

I only broke one small piece of plastic, the locking piece for the long plastic cover that sits in front of the tray (post #10 RH Pic) but a dab of glue sorted that out. The ashtray slides in and out exactly as it did before. Note that the windows have to be reprogrammed for one touch operation after disconnecting the switches, simply winding down, then holding the switch to wind up and hold at the top for a couple of seconds. (I'm sure there's a much more technical explanation, but that's what I did and it worked!)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle

#19 ·
I'd like to resurrect this post and firstly thank Dr X and the creator of the video posted by 4wd430, the information in both was invaluable. I recently removed my console/ashtray to fix the sliding cover on the small storage box, and replace the cig lighter with a twin USB outlet. I have a few comments that may help anyone else doing this job and inevitably finds this post.

1. Sliding cover - Incidentally I have never seen such a badly overengineered example of automotive detail design, unnecessary complex and made to fail! The cover was sticking as two of the cross bars had come unstuck and another three were unstuck at the edges causing it to jam. The fix was simple, glue them back into place (I used Loctite 60second General Purpose glue and it worked a treat!) apply some silicon lubricant to the groove, and lo and behold it works as it should and is very smooth.

2. I ran into a few problems with the ash tray. Try as I might, once it was out of the console, I could not remove the tray and lighter assembly from the ashtray housing as in Post #12 above. In the end I pried the front of the lighter housing from it's swivel points in the tray, then stuck a small screwdriver in the outside edge of the tray and using a torch through the rear of the ashtray housing, managed to remove the final peg from it's sliding groove, and out popped the housing with lighter. Incidentally once it is out you can remove the ashtray by squeezing both sides, no need for leverage, it comes out easily. Once I removed the lighter from the housing, fitting the USB outlet to the housing was just a case of reaming out the hole slightly, cutting off the plug and attaching the + and - wires to the USB outlet (the illumination connection is not required). I tried to put back the tray with the lighter housing assembled to the tray but found it impossible. In the end I used much the same process as removal, fitting the ashtray first, then sliding the lighter housing in and with a torch in the back, feeding the peg back into it's slider slot. The lighter housing pivots were then pried back in to the tray, various covers and damper replaced, and I had a working ashtray once again! I do feel that an access hole cut out in the ashtray housing would have made this job a lot simpler. The power to the outlet switches on at the ignition switch position I.

I am delighted with the results for what was not a complex or time consuming job, I no longer have to fumble in the passenger footwell with adaptors and cables to use my SatNav or charge my phone, the Aux 12v socket is reserved for my dashcam alone, and my sliding storage box cover now has a classy smooth operation more befitting of a Mercedes! The USB outlet came from Amazon by the way for not a lot of money.

I only broke one small piece of plastic, the locking piece for the long plastic cover that sits in front of the tray (post #10 RH Pic) but a dab of glue sorted that out. The ashtray slides in and out exactly as it did before. Note that the windows have to be reprogrammed for one touch operation after disconnecting the switches, simply winding down, then holding the switch to wind up and hold at the top for a couple of seconds. (I'm sure there's a much more technical explanation, but that's what I did and it worked!)

View attachment 1950242
Love the look of that USB charger. Which one is that? I'm looking on Amazon, and all of the options there look like they'll stick out. Yours looks like it's literally the depth of the cig lighter, and slides back into place without removing. Nice work!

#18 ·
DrX.....great tutorial !!

The design on the earlier W163 (mine's a 99) is a little less complicated than the later models but still a case of design over-engineering . I usually admire the Mercedes designs but this whole lighter/ashtray setup is ridiculous. Cheap little plastic tabs that pop into place and can not be removed without breaking (particularly after years of high heat and vibration.) Tiny little electrical connectors that have to line up perfectly to illuminate a small bulb to shine through a piece of frosted plastic. Truly an exercise in futility to replace the bulb and clean the lighter socket.

Job was completed and it works perfectly, but I will rarely use this 12V outlet because I am afraid it will break !

Funny how times have changed over the years. I don't even think current manufacturers put lighters in cars anymore.....just 12V sockets for chargers !!

#20 ·
I used this one - Beetrie 12V Dual USB Car Boat Charger Cigar Cigarette: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'd originally bought this with the idea of radically altering the ashtray interior and fitting the whole thing but in the end I took the easy route. It does stick out vry slightly but not enough to interfere with the operation and you can even close the ashtray with a cable connected so there is plenty of room.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.