BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brand new to MB, any help please?

I have owned audi's, lincolns, worked on bimmers, but Im under the impression MB is a whole new beast of its own... I attempted to use the search feature but Im not sure if the solution I found is the problem I am actually having.. with that said, here is the issues I am having if anyone has any insight:

2000 ML320

- Noise (faint squealing sounds... kind of like a belt) from the rear undercarriage.. read that it may be the differential, does that sound accurate?

- Piaa fog lights attached to the chrome brush guard in the front.. Are these lights factory? Are they controlled by the "AUX" light switch? Changed the bulbs and still dont work, they look to be wired directly into the headlights.

- When filling up the tank it seems the floater malfunctions and reads empty.. have to drive 20 miles or so to run out some gas and turn the car off in order for it to read correctly. Is the common? maybe Im just filling it up to much??

Thanks for your help guys, I look forward to being an active member of this forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Also, the "noise" is present while sitting still. When the car is started and its quiet outside you can hear the noise while standing by the drivers door. Fuel pump??
#3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
For what you think is a belt noise, get yourself a beeswax candle and hold it against the ribbed side of the belt while the eng. is running. Of course you will have to be careful.

If the noise disappears then it's the belt. If it doesn't then remove the belt and run the eng. If the noise disappears then it is one of the rollers or pulleys.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R&I Belt.pdf (56.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Belt Layout.jpg.pdf (17.3 KB, 17 views)
#4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
For what you think is a belt noise, get yourself a beeswax candle and hold it against the ribbed side of the belt while the eng. is running. Of course you will have to be careful.

If the noise disappears then it's the belt. If it doesn't then remove the belt and run the eng. If the noise disappears then it is one of the rollers or pulleys.
thank you for your response, but maybe I just wasnt clear in my initial questioning. The noise isnt coming from the engine bay. Its towards the back of the vehicle near the rear tires. When I pop the hood the engine and its components are pretty quiet and seems to be running as it should.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by durango03 View Post
- Noise (faint squealing sounds... kind of like a belt) from the rear undercarriage.. read that it may be the differential, does that sound accurate?
The noise is coming from the fuel regulator inside the fuel filter located behind the left (driver,s side) rear wheel. There has been two filter upgrades since the 1998 ML's.

[NOTE: Driver's side if in North America or Europe Left Hand Drive. PLEASE! update your User CP with a minimum of Location and Year and Model of your ML. -- Thanks]

Quote:
- Piaa fog lights attached to the chrome brush guard in the front.. Are these lights factory? Are they controlled by the "AUX" light switch? Changed the bulbs and still dont work, they look to be wired directly into the headlights.
If they are plugged in behind the left headlight fixture then that is the factory wiring harness for the fog lights. This plug is controlled by the fog light switch, both top and bottom switch position, located left of radio.

Quote:
- When filling up the tank it seems the floater malfunctions and reads empty.. have to drive 20 miles or so to run out some gas and turn the car off in order for it to read correctly. Is the common? maybe Im just filling it up to much??
No, you are not filling up too much. It's a common problem with the W163 ML's fuel pump/fuel level sender.

Mike

Last edited by Mike's ML; 06-24-2013 at 06:47 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's ML View Post
The noise is coming from the fuel regulator inside the fuel filter located behind the left (driver,s side) rear wheel. There has been two filter upgrades since the 1998 ML's.

[NOTE: Driver's side if in North America or Europe Left Hand Drive. PLEASE! update your User CP with a minimum of Location and Year and Model of your ML. -- Thanks]

If they are plugged in behind the left headlight fixture then that is the factory wiring harness for the fog lights. This plug is controlled by the fog light switch, both top and bottom switch position, located left of radio.

No, you are not filling up too much. It's a common problem with the W163 ML's fuel pump/fuel level sender.

Mike
Thanks Mike! Ill look into a new fuel filter and update my User CP immediately.

Also, as far as the fog lights are concerned, from what you have told me the lights are wired in to the factory harness. Ill check the fuses and connectors before venturing out and purchasing new Piaa lights.

Anyone know where to get the larger Mercedes fuses from (under the hood fusebox).. also I have read through the entire owners manual and the only mention of a fusebox is in the engine bay, is there another in the interior? Thanks again!
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The early year ML's only had the engine bay fuse box but later years had another located in the right passenger area under the right kick panel. I don't remember what year the second fuse box was added.

The fog light plug needs to be activated in the AAM computer when the fog lights are added. But if the ML already had fog lights when you bought it I would assume they are already activated. A simple voltage test should tell you if the fuse is good and if the plug is already activated.

Mike
Mike

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class