BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1999 ML430 blk on grey leather
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
fan pulley really loose and wobbly!

I was looking down at the fan while it was idling last night and noticed the pulley was walking back and forth quite a bit. I turned off the engine and wiggled the fan and the fan and pulley rocked back and forth a lot. has anyone had this issue before? The bolts dont look loose and they stay tight against the face of the pulley which is worrisome. Can I try to tighten them upand if so how do I get to.them. There isnt much clearance there.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
You need a new water pump. Don't drive it again until it is replaced unless you want to take a chance of causing more damage like a broken radiator of overheated engine...

True success is being the master of your own time.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: '02 ML320
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There might be two reasons for fan pulley to feel loose when you grab it. You said bolts are tight. Second possibility is that the water pump bearing is getting loose. If you see a leak from the pump nipple, it is definitely time to replace the pump. Watch the engine temperatures. If it is getting too high already, replace it as soon as possible. This is NOT an emergency replacement to make you stop driving the car as long as engine temperature remains within normal limits. However, this doesn't mean you should ignore it.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Your description of pulley walking back and forth quite a bit would worry me quite a bit. I would be afraid of throwing the fan belt, possibly causing more damage and leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I, myself, would not drive it until I could get it fixed.
Mike
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's ML View Post
I, myself, would not drive it until I could get it fixed.
Mike
That's your choice.

It needs to be replaced but this should not prevent you from driving the car. It takes a long for the pump bearings to go bad (10 years on mine). Fact is that we drive our cars months and years, until one day we find out about this issue, either by the help of nasty fluid on the garage floor, or engine temperature at worrisome levels.

If you are worried about belt coming off because of the pump shaft is sliding out, the shaft is attached to the blade on the back side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ML320_Wpump_042-e.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	486862  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
I think it is kind of a toss up on the not driving until fixed. I used to think no big rush, but then when the ml320 waterpump with no other warnings started squealing a bit I went ahead and drove just couple days until pump was replaced. Here is the weird thing: I took off the old felt it, it was kind of gravely no surprise. I set it aside finished the job, cleaned up whatever. Then next day I examined the old one and it would not turn it was stuck.

I think it was basically seized and then starting car broke it free...It could have broken the shaft at any time soon, i would guess.

ScottB
#7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbordo@hotmail.com View Post
I think it is kind of a toss up on the not driving until fixed. I used to think no big rush, but then when the ml320 waterpump with no other warnings started squealing a bit I went ahead and drove just couple days until pump was replaced. Here is the weird thing: I took off the old felt it, it was kind of gravely no surprise. I set it aside finished the job, cleaned up whatever. Then next day I examined the old one and it would not turn it was stuck.

I think it was basically seized and then starting car broke it free...It could have broken the shaft at any time soon, i would guess.
Squealing is sign of pump getting jammed. You could not drive the car for couple more days if the pump remained jammed. Engine would sound like the pigs in the slaughterhouse. I agree that's the end of the road for that pump and needs to be replaced ASAP. My point is that, if you accidentally checked your pump pulley weeks prior to the squealing day, it would feel loose.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all of the replies. Damn something else to fix haha. its not squealing temls are normal. There arent any leaks either. i have to figure out my p0170 code first and once i figure that out ill move on to the waterpump. Its off the road right now anyways
#9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2003 ML-350
I'm going down this road as we speak. Started the truck this morning and heard quite a bit of noise. Thinking I was low on oil or something I popped the hood and saw the fan pulley (and fan) dancing ALL over the place. And not just a little shuffle, but a visibly alarming amount of boogie.

So...it's a new water pump for me, fast. And wouldn't you know, we have a large family vacation/road trip scheduled this weekend so I won't have time to try and fix it myself. So that's another $1000 at the stealership I'm sure.

Why do major problems always seem to happen at the wrong time?

---------------------------------------------------

#10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
that blows man! Mine will have to wait as I have found my intake manifold is leaking giving me the p0170 code and now p0304 f*cking missfire #4 code grr

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class