replacing rear shocks and springs 1999 ml320 question - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Vehicle: 1999 ml320,05 cls 55 amg
Smile replacing rear shocks and springs 1999 ml320 question

hi to all great stuff and very smart people here. my question is i found springs on e bay brand new kyb original Mercedes spring and mounting plate for 90.00 each. part no.a 163 320 23 13 updated part. bilstein shocks 160.00 each total 250.00. my shop here in texas will do the pair for 50.00 each total 300.00. the original shock and springs cost 320.00. are the kyb on ebay quality? reading your posts i have not found any body going this way your getting the best rear shock and spring upgrade my ml has 113000 on it and they need shocks. but now your getting brand new springs instead of just upgrading shocks wouldn't this be a better way to go. im just would like some info on this for other people that might want to go this way as im looking to go this way
KTMJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
You can get the entire assembly all in one unit for $288 from parts.com.
No need to insert the biltseins. MB does not sell the springs as a separate item so I am guessing that the springs on ebay are a take off from an upgrade or not really OEM MB.
I have no idea how the seller huliganka1 on eBay got just the springs. I would put my money on the whole assembly for $30 more per side. You will get an even ride. The Bilsteins are a harder riding shock.

If you check that part number 163 320 23 13 at any online MB dealer that sells parts you will see it is the complete coil over spring and shock. The shock used in that part from MB is a KYB.

Have done the fronts yet? If not they are due and I strongly recommend the Sachs units. They have served me very well and also have a lifetime warranty.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1999 ML430
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJay View Post
hi to all great stuff and very smart people here. my question is i found springs on e bay brand new kyb original Mercedes spring and mounting plate for 90.00 each. part no.a 163 320 23 13 updated part. bilstein shocks 160.00 each total 250.00. my shop here in texas will do the pair for 50.00 each total 300.00. the original shock and springs cost 320.00. are the kyb on ebay quality? reading your posts i have not found any body going this way your getting the best rear shock and spring upgrade my ml has 113000 on it and they need shocks. but now your getting brand new springs instead of just upgrading shocks wouldn't this be a better way to go. im just would like some info on this for other people that might want to go this way as im looking to go this way
I too would recommend the KYB shock in the complete assembly. I changed mine out about five years ago and they are still going strong. It's not a difficult job, but if you have a shop that will swap them both out for $50.00, that's a GREAT deal !! I used the Bilstein's upfront and have been very happy with them, but the Sachs are excellent also.

This is another one of those projects that gives you a lot of bang for the buck and you will not believe how much improvement it makes to the ride and handling of the heavy ML's...
springerfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

again you guys are very will informed here. no have not done the front shocks yet but going to do the complete job soon been narrowing down witch way to go. looks to me like im going w the complete set at part.com just need to see witch front shocks im going to use. i like bilsteins used them in my race cars and really liked them but this is not a race car its a tank on wheels. will look at the Sachs units also. i replaced my spark plugs last month now getting almost 20 miles in city what a improvement. i dont believe any body should wait 100k to replace your plugs 3 miles per gal does add up quickly. like your post noodles thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2000 ML430 (Sold)
I re-did my fronts with kyb and did the whole assembly in the rears with oem from an ebay retailer. Not a difficult job for fronts or rears, but I was quoted almost 1400.00 for the rears alone with install. 50.00 is a hell of a deal. Its almost 3 hours shop time to do both sides!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

sorry the 50.00 was to put the shocks and springs together each and i would install the springs dyi me, but my info is im not sure if e bay sells the real mb part looking into it.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trained Observer

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 90 300E, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
The seller huliganka1 on eBay is where several of us got the complete rear assemblies from.
He does sell Genuine.
I have looked at all the rear complete assemblies on Saturday and found nothing I would
trust at this time as genuine.
That is why I posted the price from parts.com of $288.00 apiece. You really can't go wrong and have what the truck was built with from the factory.
Plus you do not need to have shop load the new dampers into the new springs.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

thanks for your input i did find at pelicanparts.com have complete kit with bilstein shocks not the 4600 hd probley the tc ones. would think they would be better than kyb shocks? also looking into the sachs springs might of found them here in the us but need to talk to my mechanic friend to know more. If not kyb in the back sachs in the front
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2000 ML430 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJay View Post
thanks for your input i did find at pelicanparts.com have complete kit with bilstein shocks not the 4600 hd probley the tc ones. would think they would be better than kyb shocks? also looking into the sachs springs might of found them here in the us but need to talk to my mechanic friend to know more. If not kyb in the back sachs in the front
"Better" would be in the eye and feel of the driver. The Bilsteins will be a harsher ride then factory. Will ride like an offroad truck. I stuck with KYB front and back because it was what the truck was supposed to feel like from factory.
I love the KYB for the rears, but would go with sachs for the front next time. KYB's are a little....."bouncy" for me.
Oeschj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

sorry guys had to replace all my motor mounts on my sel amg what a pain in the a**. who makes motor mounts w/hydrolics and oil only mercedes. has any body looked at adsitco.com they are in Indiana. they sell the super gas sachs w/ spring under special version shocks and struts original equipment sach part 032-6310. they sell for 355.50 each. i know kyb were selling for 288.00 but this is a upgrade and looks to be of better quality than oem stuff. also found at eaceuroparts.com replacement bilstein w/spring chassis # a093894 for 282.05 out of stock right now i believe there the b3 shock. they also have a 800 no to call

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class