BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2004 M class Inspiration 270 cdi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
is safe to wash the engine?????

hello everybody yesterday i made a quick wash of mine engine, not with a pressure water but only with a degrasser, and a small amount of water, and today on the floor i found 2 drops that seems like oli, im not sure if it is form the engine or from the degrasser and the garbages that the engine had on the surface?

Nothing is stronger,than the mind .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From my experience, its perfectly safe to wash the engine as long as you don't deliberately focus the water in any delicate areas.

I tend to start the engine and leave it running for at least 20 minutes after that.

The grease/oil spot may be, as you say, some dislodged oil/grease from the washing.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 2000 ML430 (Sold)
I do mine with the degreaser spray at the car wash. Let it sit for five, and wash it all out really well. Never use high pressure, and you should be fine.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Many years ago (1980's) I used to clean my engine with degreaser fluid / engine cleaner on a regular basis. Probably a little too much. I ruined all the rubber components in the engine bay. Now I only clean areas if absolutely needed. I don't know how the newer vehicles and degreasers react to each other but I'm not willing to take a chance. I do wipe off all the plastic components on the top of the engines with a damp towel when washing the MLs.
Mike
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2000 ML320, engine code 172300
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Premium Member
I just watched a video yesterday from a professional detailer, I like how he uses the nozzle with a fine mist when cleaning his, and doesnt use anything harsh, just Simple Green.
Junkman's Engine Detailing How To Video - YouTube
#6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
I've been cleaning the engine bay of my cars for over 20 years. If you follow simple rules, mostly spelled out above, you'll be fine. I use diluted Simple Green (not full strength) and spray it where it is needed on a COLD engine. Let it sit for a while and hose it off. I use a garden hose and hose it down good. When finished, start the engine and let it warm up to normal temp to boil off the water and prevent any rust from forming. I've never encountered a problem other than some hard starting and rough running for a few minutes. Result vary. Some areas do not clean all that well this way, but none of the plastic pieces have suffered from this method.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
ITs good to keep your engine clean. A clean engine will run cooler and more efficiently. Theres no reason to over do it though. I clean mine maybe 2-3x a year. Once before the winter, to prep it for the winter, Once after to clear out any salt or residue and once in the warmer months. Prep work is key. I use plastic bags and aluminum foil to keep water away from the ECU, and other electronics under the hood. I also cover the battery, and later wipe it down by hand and wipre down any other things I covered up. I cover up the ignition coils and plugs and wires and any other parts that are dense with wiring or electronics. I use a dedicated foaming engine cleaner suck as gunk or something like that, an then agitate areas with a brush, then I use low pressure water to rinse but be sure to rinse throughly and not leave any cleaner anywhere. Once everything has totally dried Im sure to use a protectant on everything, especially the rubber and plastics parts so they dont dry out and become brittle and damaged. I like CD2 engine protectant, and I use a lite coat on everything under the hood. I let it sit for a while to try and if it looks to greasy or oily anywhere I wipre it down with a dry cloth. Ive never had any issues following this method, and my engine bay always looks pretty clean and tidy ands I never have any issues with rust, salt or corrosion related to the outdoor or winter elements. I think the cleaning and protecting pre-winter of the engine bay and undercarriage are crucial, especially in areas where your vehicle may be potentially be exposed to harsh winters, snow, salt and such. Ive have very little to know visible rust on any area in my engine bay or undercarriage. I use Fluid film to protect the undercarriage and have had awesome luck with it. That and rinsing thoroughly after any exposure to salt or snow has been a winning routine for me, same goes to lower portion of engine compartment.

2001 ML55 AMG, Silver
- 20x9/20x10 EXE Crowns
- Vredestein Sessanta SUV 275/45/20
- H&R Front Sway Bar
- Magnaflow Precats, Deleted Postcats & Resonator, AMG Muffler
- Tints, AMG Hood Badge, Polished Side Marker Trims, LED Rear Tag Bulbs, 02+ AMG Silver Grill & Bumper Grill, Custom 5.5 AMG Door Badges
- Brushed Aluminum AMG Pedals, Shifter Surround, Vent Trims, Cup Holder trims, AC Knobs, Glove Handle, Rear Window Switch Trim, Hexomats

Last edited by Big Dogger; 06-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class