Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Star C4 Diagnostic tool?

44K views 79 replies 24 participants last post by  Paul600600 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Be careful a lot of chinese crap doesn't work. check out the jcrecording forums on this.

#4 ·
The cloned C4s are not using the same circuit layout as the OEM ones. For stability
and DAS/Xentry stability issues the a well made C3 clone is preferred by people that
choose to get a SDS system and use it on multiple MBs.
You can read up on the C4 issues at digitalkaos.co.uk

#5 ·
I'd love to find one which is guaranteed to work and isn't someone who takes a chineese knockoff and tries to sell it for Original money.

Noodles: Any pointers?

#7 ·
i have just got one from eobd2.com
fastest shipping ever. very trustful guys.
they sent it with the hard drive. all you need to do is take out your hard drive and put the one that they sent. but be careful you need to have a laptop with serial port on it. i thought i can get usb to serial rs232 converter and use with it but it did not work. you need real serial port rs232 on your laptop. it means that you need old laptop. it works perfect and it really is same with the original one.
get one....

#13 ·
Buy.com just put Dell D820 factory refurbs on sale for $279. 2.0ghz Core2Duo.
I have a T30 2.4 and a Dell D830 2.5. The Dell runs circles around the T30 and
is more rugged. Frequent DAS/Xentry users end up beating the serial port to death
and then it is mobo time for the T30.

#14 ·
Actually I've been using the D820 for day to day for last 4.5 years. It's very delicate, at least the one I have is too sensitive. It has video adaptor malfunction by the way it sits, I have to twist the housing to recover. I did open it up, cleaned everything and got it put back together but didn't get better at all. I never dropped it or it doesn't have any cracks. But I did carry it with me for over 100k miles on the road. and countless airline miles. Maybe I should just buy a T30 just for SDS.

#16 ·
ok any one have a manual for the benz star c4, i work at a euro shop been 2 training for BMW gtr (everyone said it was the same but its not i just like a manual on how 2 use it lol (i mean i can use it but theres programing of ecus ext ext any one found out how 2 log on 2 benz web site with out a dealER code?

#21 ·
The software is released every quarter for the laptop.

There are issues with the W204 in recent releases of Star with the clones of the C3.
The C3 is much more rugged and unless you have to have wireless then the C3 is
a good choice.
All you ever wanted to know can be found at mhhauto.com or digitalkaos.co.uk.
The gurus at those sites have found ways to get into the W204. If the vendor says they
have it setup so that it can get into the W204 then they probably have applied one of
the safe patches to the Star software.

#25 ·
There is actually one more now, our Chinese friends call it a compact C4, I have a older C3 and a C4 and upgraded my laptop from a Dell to a Panasonic toughbook.
First I have to say this is a unbelievable cool tool and it will pay for itself no matter how much you spend on it.
The software can be installed on almost any laptop, but if you use a compact or C3 you need a serial port.

C3 is the older version I have seen some roomers that you cant use it on vehicles newer the 01-2014, I have not been able to verify this. (have to wait 10 years to afford a 2015)
use serial port for communication
no WiFi or Ethernet

Compact C4, I have never used one
also use a serial port for communication to the computer
no WiFi or Ethernet

C4 is the latest you can get on the aftermarket and is still used in most MB service centers at least in my area
uses WiFi or Ethernet for communication and is faster
has a LCD display and 2 status LED's
you can install a 6 AA rechargeable's to keep the unit from rebooting on disconnect.

I like the WiFi option I can sit in my heated living room and work on the Benz in the Garage.

Paul

#31 · (Edited)
I also updated to Xentry 12_2015 love it so fare boots and runs way faster.
I haven't realy had a chance to test it on a vehicle but it connects.
Being windows 7 now opens the door to install it on more modern laptops.
Be careful if you if you have an older MB and need HHTWin.
HHTWin will only run on the 32 bit version.

#32 ·
I run the C4 both on XP(Xentry) & Win7 32bit (XDOS)(with HHTWin) 12.2015.
Running Xentry on Win7 64 bits without HHTWin limits one seriously. You cant go into specific ML modules without HHTWin . It sucks......64bit is so much faster...........
The speed workaround is using SSD's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.