Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 ml320 engine oil

48K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  mattml430 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me which synthetic oil I should use, my mechanic put 10w30 synthetic in my car now is that ok?

#2 ·
It depends on what brand. There are several spec oils in various viscosities.

If it's Mobil1 that is *not* spec oil. Check it yourself on Mobil1's web site. If that's the case you need new oil...and a new "mechanic". ;)

Good luck.

#4 ·
5W-40 is what I use. Made for diesels and works like a charm in our trucks. No muck and I stopped using oil.

Not sure what MB says to use now...I think it's either 0W-40 or 5W-40. I like Rotella...but Mobil 1 is spec.

#7 ·
@ almost 230000 miles on my ML 320 now I think 5W-30 or 10W-30 Mobile 1 is good. That's what I have been using for years and my engine still runs perfect and uses only about 1 quart every 10000 miles... I get whatever Costco has on hand at the time...

#8 ·
Hey guys,

Anyone here used this kind of engine oil in an ML320 ( not Diesel ) ?

Red Line 0W40 Motor Oil - Case of 12-1 Quart : 11124

In the spec it is saying "Mercedes-Benz 229.5" so it should be fine, I just want to make sure this is a good one.

The problem is that noone can order the Mobil 1 in my town and I ordered it online more than a month ago, but it still has not arrived. Hard to get this Mobile 1, and I need to change the oil ASAP, so hopefully the Red Line arrives next week.

#11 ·
Another Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic fan here. This oil is downright amazing. I use it in my RV, motorcycles, ML, and even my past Porsches. Many hundreds of thousands of miles of great service. Plus it is available anywhere, something that has kept me from buying boutique oil. I have been building high performance motorcycle engines for over 20 years that place incredible demands on oils. Rotella always handles the challenges. I even think that this oil performs better than Mobil 1. Not that there is anything wrong with Mobil 1, it is a quality oil, as are many others. But the fact you can get it anywhere and that it is priced very well makes it a clear winner.

#13 ·
To the OP of this thread.

Redline does not make a an approved by Mercedes oil. Yes they make great oil, but they never sent it to MB for approval.

AMS Oil, Mobil, Total, Fuchs, Liqui Moly are all good to go.

Google Mercedes BEVO 229.5 and you will be directed to the list of oils that has official MB approval.

DrX already provided the link n the post above mine.

#18 ·
If you don't really care about the list, why did you seek advice here?
Because maybe some owners tested different engine oils that are on the MB list.
I couldn`t get hold of the one which is on the list, but I could order something that is not on the list, which I actually never heard of, so I thought someone here can help me with this.

It`s a bit like buying aftermarket parts instead of MB original parts. They are not on MB`s list, but a few owners here tested those products and some are not recommended but of of them are ( tested by users ). Clear now?

#21 ·
Not at all mate, I just need something ASAP and wanted to know if that Red Line is something that I should put in my Benz or not.

Here is the test:

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

( someone uploaded the pdf to this website, but it`s not their test )

Anyway, the Mobil1 oil that I ordered more than a month ago just arrived today, so I will use that ofc and maybe send the Red Line back.

#24 ·
Is that just opinion or do you have some fact to back it up? Oils marketed for HD applications, as long as they meet the weight requirements, are generally better for any engine. They do a better job of holding contaminants in suspension so the filter can clean them out, they resist breakdown from chemicals better, they are designed to last longer under very grueling conditions, and the detergents keep the internals cleaner.

HD oils like Rotella T6 have been widely used in the motorcycle world for the last 10 years or so once people really started looking at the benefits.

But in order to not start a huge oil wars, I also agree with the statement that just because an oil is not approved by MB does not mean it would not have been approved had it been tested. There are a lot of good oils out there that do not have a MB approval. Run what you want as long as it meets the weight ratings, or at least close to it. There is nothing really magical inside a MB engine that is not in any well designed engine, no matter who makes it.

But take what I say with a grain of salt, I only work on high performance motorcycles for a living......

#27 ·
Lets see, their first point about higher Zinc levels, while it is true, is no longer valid. Zinc levels in modern HD oils are almost non existent because of emission regulations. T6 also has the appropriate ratings (SM, SL, SH) to be used in a gasoline engine with cats as well as motorcycle ratings. It is good stuff.

I reread my post and it reads like I was being a real prick. My apologies to all of you. Long day.... I meant it as to just highlight that I have many years (20+) building very high performance engines and I understand oil pretty well. T6 is my favorite oil, bar none. Not that there is not better oils, but one of my major factors in choosing any oil is availability while traveling. This eliminates boutique oils.

#28 ·
I`m really sorry about starting this oil war, I feel bad now :grin

It looks like everyone has their own ideas about what to use in a car.
I think I will keep on feeding my baby with Mobile1, hopefully she will run for another 150-200k ( has 200k now ).

At least I learned something today: in places like Labrador ( behind nowhere ) I have to think of the next step well before I want to make it. Will run this oil for 15k and I will order the next cans in time to avoid arguments :angel

We are a big family :wink

#29 ·
I am at fault for being argumentative in my response. Without discussions like this we/I can never learn anything. I have been in the industry for years and years, but I try to never stop learning.

We went through this years ago with T6 in motorcycles. The argument was that T6 was not JASO-MA (Motorcycle) certified. People went up in flames and stated that you must use an oil rated JASO in bikes. Many like myself argued that just because Shell did not pay the big $$ to get that certification, does not mean that it did not meet or exceed the standard of those certifications. Shell finally ponied up and not only got the JASO certification, but I can see they also got the certifications for gas engines using a cat.

There are many good oils out there. Of course, some inferior ones as well. I am quite positive that if Shell sent samples to MB and paid their fees, it would be approved without an issue. But why should they? Mobil 1 has a corner on the high end car market and Shell has little to gain for the expense. Some will use it, many will not. Life goes on.

Frankly, I think you would have a pretty long service life even if you used no name synthetic oil and changed it regularly with a good OEM oil filter. But, even I will not do that..... =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.