#1 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
02 ML320 BAS/ESP/ETS/ABS Lights

I know here we go again another post about the 3 famous lights on. I've read a number of posts already dealing with the issue and potential problems and things to look for . I've already done many of the recommendations that are just check this and check that but now I guess I'm at the point where I need to start spending money so I'd appreciate any help on where to start. Here is the problem which by the way is intermittant. Sometimes while driving and going around a turn I'll get the pulsation in the brake pedal like the ABS is applying the brake to one (or possibly more ) wheel(s). This will not produce any lights on the dash. At other times when I try to accelerate like maybe off of a stop or merging into traffic I get the hesitation or loss of power accompanied by the 3 lights on the dash. Things I have already done with no success: replaced the ABS relay , Inspected te plug on the ABS module for corrosion (none), Verfied the ABS pump runs by jumpering terminals in the relay socket, Reset the Steering Angle sensor, Inspected/cleaned the wheel speed sensors (no noticible damage or chafing to the wires but I didn't start peeling back the eletrical tape like I read one of the posts on here said), Pulled the low range motor on the transfer case and got it to work (It was inoperable and I was having the low range light too ) and replaced the brake light switch, Put a standard OBDII scanner on it but it didn't have anything to offer.
So there I think I tried all of the "don't cost much to try" stuff . Any suggestions on where to go from here??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: S320 (W220) and Zotye 1.3/Rolls Royce on back order (LOL)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You need to read the fault codes and a simple OBDII scanner will not cut it. It sounds to me, from the symptoms you have posted that the yaw rate sensor may be in question but we need codes.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

This is the area I suspect, the lateral acceleration sensor or the yaw rate sensor, the yaw rate on the 163 is a fairly common failure. Click the pic to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap12.jpg
Views:	2583
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	356641  

ERIC.

#4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '00 w163 55 amg,-bah bye, '02 w208 55 amg & sucker for a '03 w163 350 inspiration
Send a message via MSN to oreif
np, I appreciate your research but he is right. without the codes being known you could throw countless hours your life at this site & dollars at your star. borrow a scanner if you have to. I think certain AutoZones, Oreilly's, etc. might still read them for free. they no longer clear them for legal reasons. also please update your miles. without the codes, you are just stairing at three famous lights of doom without a clue.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreif View Post
np, I appreciate your research but he is right. without the codes being known you could throw countless hours your life at this site & dollars at your star. borrow a scanner if you have to. I think certain AutoZones, Oreilly's, etc. might still read them for free. they no longer clear them for legal reasons. also please update your miles. without the codes, you are just stairing at three famous lights of doom without a clue.

Lights of doom, I like that one

ERIC.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
(Thread Starter)
I have one of the "generic " OBDII code readers similar to what local auto parts dealers have and as I said it doesn"t show any codes. I realize that a higher end scanner that will read the Mercedes specific codes is what is needed. One question I have is since this problem is intermittent , will this be a stored code or will the condtition have to be present at the time the reader is plugged in to "catch" it? I will attempt to find an indy in my area who has the proper equipment. I hate to think I have to rely on a trip to the dealer. I guess that'll be a last resort.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by np90fxrp View Post
I have one of the "generic " OBDII code readers similar to what local auto parts dealers have and as I said it doesn"t show any codes. I realize that a higher end scanner that will read the Mercedes specific codes is what is needed. One question I have is since this problem is intermittent , will this be a stored code or will the condtition have to be present at the time the reader is plugged in to "catch" it? I will attempt to find an indy in my area who has the proper equipment. I hate to think I have to rely on a trip to the dealer. I guess that'll be a last resort.
I believe the fault code will only be present when the lights are on, but we will have to wait and see.

ERIC.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2007 E63 AMG
My experience with these three lights was that it was due to the abs pump motor where the brushes had worn out. If yours are getting close to being worn out, it might explain the 'occasional' nature of the issue. You can check their condition without any cost, it doesn't take too long. One of the other threads goes into detail of how to do this.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This is what scott is referring to.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ghts-come.html
#10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
my three lights coming on are intermittent and not due to brushes in abs pump...seems like has something to do with car wash...short somewhere.

ScottB

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class