Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 Ml320 engine noise

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jaanusj 
#1 ·
Can any one advise me as what to do. My 2002 ml 320 started acting as if it was running out of gas... I was advised to change the fuel filter which I did, but wont start so I took it to a MB mechanic. they told me that the catalyc converter needed replacement So it was changed for a new offbrand. After driving it for a few miles engine started to make a clicking noise So I took it back to MB mechanic which after a few days of dinostics told me that some of the lifters needed to be change.....so he changed them, but noise did not go away so he changed some more plus adjusted the tiiming belt plus checked all the rocker and yet noise still there, car runs fine but sounds like a diesel truck I also changed the oil for a thicker oil 20-50 plus added an additive in the oil plus added a can of fuel system cleaner but knocking noise wont go away CAn AnY BoDy HelP PleasEEE

#2 ·
Please update your profile.

Click on USER CP.
Click on EDIT PROFILE.
Scroll down to ADDITIONAL INFO. And fill in the year and model of your truck and where you live.

Did you look under the truck to see if you actually received a new catalytic converter? It should be quite different from the original one on the opposite side.

Whoever this mechanic is and whatever he did to your truck is the cause of your noise. What has he charged you to replace the lifters and the catalytic converter? Have you paid for this work even though it hasn't corrected the noise?

Also, there is no timing belt, your engine has a timing chain. This mechanic seems to be incompetent or is taking you for a ride.

#3 ·
Dealing with same problem

I have same problem.
First felt like its not getting gas then they told me its the converters.. Then i got 2 new converters and car started to make noise from the engine. Clicking noise.. First it was light noise and now it escalated to 10/10 level.
I got main rod bearings changed , cranksaft changed and now they are talking about camsaft.
I'm really sick of all that and ready to go to court soon. I give them last chance to fix it , but who knows./.. Let me know when you get the solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.