BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do you program the KEY?

I recently got a 99 ML320 and the key was not the original one. It fits the locks OK but is not programed to do any of the remote functions. How do I program it to work these functions? The key is a factory Benz key from a dealership. I do not have another key. It is the type of key that will fold into the plastic housing when you want to put it in your pocket. I would sure like to be able to use the remote functions.

stoic
Saratoga, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
So does it open the door manually?

It may just be a dead set of batteries.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoic View Post
I recently got a 99 ML320 and the key was not the original one. It fits the locks OK but is not programed to do any of the remote functions. How do I program it to work these functions? The key is a factory Benz key from a dealership. I do not have another key. It is the type of key that will fold into the plastic housing when you want to put it in your pocket. I would sure like to be able to use the remote functions.
Have you tried synchronising the key as prescribed in the truck manual?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ML430, 2006 BMW 325i, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Was the key ever programmed into the computer at the dealership? (I can't imagine why it wouldn't have been at purchase, but hey, stranger things have happened.)

#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The vehicle was a repossession. I was the legal owner and the debtor hadn't been making payments. I had to prove to the dealer that I was the Legal Owner and furnish the VIN. They ordered me a key for $150. I got the key and repoed the truck. Do I need to take it to the dealer to program the key for remote operation? That'll probably be another hundred bucks. I have programed keys for Fords and GMC without having to go to the dealer. The key is only about a month old so the batteries are probably good. I don't have an Owners Manual.

stoic
Saratoga, CA
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Quote:
The vehicle was a repossession. I was the legal owner and the debtor hadn't been making payments. I had to prove to the dealer that I was the Legal Owner and furnish the VIN. They ordered me a key for $150. I got the key and repoed the truck. Do I need to take it to the dealer to program the key for remote operation? That'll probably be another hundred bucks. I have programed keys for Fords and GMC without having to go to the dealer. The key is only about a month old so the batteries are probably good. I don't have an Owners Manual.
That's an interesting story by itself, but let's keep that for another post. As far as I know, they keys are programmable only via MB equipment which is usually available only at MB shops. Now, if you have a means of doing the Fords and GMC outside of the dealer, you may want to try that if you don't want to go to a MB dealer.

Regarding cost, it seems like that depends on the dealership. I have had three keyfobs replaced and programmed and I never paid a penny for programming - just paid dealer cost for keyfobs (maybe the dealer cost included programming, I don't know!). In your case, seeing that you already have a proven relationship with the dealer, talk them to programming the key for zero charge! Just ask - nicely. You'd be surprised at how charming you really are!!

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
#7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
...I don't have an Owners Manual.
You didn't respond as to whether you had attempted to re-synchronise the key with the truck.

Here is a pdf on key synchronisation from the truck manual as posted in a recent thread (Courtesy of 43sqd):
Attached Images

#8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
'FAR888" --Thank you very much, and also "43sqd", for the info. I read your post and then stated that I DO NOT have the owners manual for my truck. Now I have something to go on. I'll attempt to re-synchronize my key tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

stoic
Saratoga, CA
#9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Something is missing here. Is your car still with the dealer? You cannot possibly drive the ML with your newly ordered key without dealer program it into your car's AAM. If dealer has done so already, your remote should work. If you received the key straight from the parts department and you can use it to drive your ML, I am quite surprised.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
"FAR888" --I tried to re-sychronize the key as per the instruction provided by "43sqd" from the owners manual. It didn't work. As "supradupe" posts - it needs to be done the first time at a dealer. After that then I guess you can re-synchronize it if it has a battery replacement etc. I ordered the key from the Mercedes dealer using the vehicle VIN number. I did not have the vehicle with me when I picked up the key from the dealership. I'll just take the truck AND the key back to the dealership and let them fix it. Thanks everybody for the help.

stoic
Saratoga, CA

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class