Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil Sludging ?? 2002 ML320

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bavenda 
#1 ·
I have my wifes 2002 ML320 oil light comes on Last time i posted got advice to ingore dealer and switch back to 0w40 i did several oil and filter changes same problem maybe little worse gonna pull off passanger side valve cover just picked up gasket from dealer any advice or anything to look out for does any one have tourque specs valve cover bolts ??? Thanks for any help !!!

#2 ·
You should do both sides.

BE VERY GENTLE with the screws and DO NOT over tighten them. I used degreaser and break cleaner (works better) to clean the sludge. Rinse it with water and dry it to remove the residual chemicals completely. The valve covers have gaskets only. If there is dust or dirt on the gasket, it will leak sooner or later.

Do not ignore the evaporation chambers on top of the covers and clean them at the same time. Evaporation chambers are sealed with a black silicone sealant (part number A 003 989 98 2010). Be careful removing the evaporation chamber covers. They are held in place with 2-3 long screws to the valve covers but sealed with a sealant. One way to remove it is to melt the sealant first with heat.

There are several posts about cleaning valve covers. Here is the link that has pictures.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1309153-valve-cover-torque-specs.html

Keep in mind that blocked crankcase ventilation tubes can facilitate sludging. Check these tubes replace if the are in bad shape. Cracked tubes are cause of air leak and rough idle.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks for advice i will go back to dealer to get gasket for other side when i was at the counter i asked if the gaskets needed sealer he sold me the black sealer i think you are talking about for the evap. chambers does the valve covers need sealer or just gaskets????

#7 ·
Have you considered an engine flush?

You're going to remove valve covers to clean and replace valve cover gaskets anyway. Why not try a flush FIRST. If it doesn't work, THEN do this option.

#9 ·
dis, on your previous post in May, you said;
need help please i have a 2002 ml320 the oil light keeps coming on then going out the oil level is fine
If this does not help you with the oil light coming on and off, you know that chances are very high oil light sensor is the culprit. If sensor DIY was an easy task, everyone would ask you to replace that. But it is not. On the other hand, your engine will benefit from cleaning valve covers, vent chambers and hoses. Clean up will also not hurt your vallet since gaskets and sealant will not cost more than $100. So, there is a favorable benefit to cost ratio here as long as you don't break anything. But be aware that oil light problem may not be solved by this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.