Ignition Switch Problem - Stuck at first and now thinks key is still in when removed - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2003 ML 500
Ignition Switch Problem - Stuck at first and now thinks key is still in when removed

So this morning, I had the ignition switch problem that seems like something most people have had on this forum. I did spray some WD40 and got it to turn all the way so I can start it. It turns smoothly now but...

When i remove the key, the car still thinks the key is in there so the steering wheel won't lock and can't lock the doors using the remote. I'm goign to try and remove the cylinder when I get home from work but can someone point me to the problem of the key removal and the sensor/switch that triggers this?

I've read it's some kind of hair-pin trigger but not sure if I'll have to replace the cylinder or what? Thanks in advance for the help.
trifest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Lifetime Premium Member
WD40 is the WORST thing you can put in a lock.

Your entire lockset may be bad. Maybe someone who's had this trouble could jump in.
cmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

there was a previous post about using it and then some lock ease which i did. lock assembly moves smoothly but i suspect it may be some kind of pin or switch that's not detecting it. does anyone have the ignition switch diagram
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 02 ML 55 - Performer, 02 ML 320 - Beater
i think to remember there is a little metal latch that comes down from top that acts as a switch and also makes the steering wheel lock. I had this trouble took it apart cleaned and put wd40 in and it worked fine.

why is wd40 the worst thing to put in a lock?
sgtpepperaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

is the metal latch a part of the ignition assembly or is it on the steering wheel assembly itself. I tried to mess around but didn't have the tools to remove the ignition cylinder. I'm suspecting it may be a bad ignition switch?

If I put the car in neutral and try to remove the key, it won't let me so there's some components working so i'm trying to rule out different scenarios.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quote:
why is wd40 the worst thing to put in a lock?
Put your mind at ease, there is nothing wrong with using WD40 on a lock. This fallacy was started by another member (Gene Horr) and for what reason I do not know. You can take it for what it is worth, but I have used WD for many years on all types of lock cylinders, door and ignition. See for yourself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (389.1 KB, 233 views)
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Will Moderate For Cigars

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
Put your mind at ease, there is nothing wrong with using WD40 on a lock. This fallacy was started by another member (Gene Horr) and for what reason I do not know. You can take it for what it is worth, but I have used WD for many years on all types of lock cylinders, door and ignition. See for yourself.
WD40, by it's nature, is a moisture displacement, which means it draws moisture to it. There are several different kinds of lock lubricants available that are made for this specific purpose. I got a dressing down from a locksmith for using WD40 in a lock. He, too, said he gets more calls to Wal-Mart for frozen locks because, at one time or another, someone used WD40 in their ignition and it eventually froze it up. A clock repairman said the same thing, that WD40 gums up clocks and locks. He recommended 3 in 1 oil.

You may have luck with it and that's okay. I won't use it on my locks, though.

For those who don't believe me, here's a link to a locksmith site warning of the pitfalls of WD40: http://locksmithservices.com/can-i-u...ozen-car-lock/

Last edited by cmitch; 05-11-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

turns out to be the ignition switch. $25 part and 5 hours of labor...gotta love it. I couldn't find any DIY for the ignition switch and they're saying i need a new tumbler too...thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
WD40, by it's nature, is a moisture displacement, which means it draws moisture to it. There are several different kinds of lock lubricants available that are made for this specific purpose. I got a dressing down from a locksmith for using WD40 in a lock. He, too, said he gets more calls to Wal-Mart for frozen locks because, at one time or another, someone used WD40 in their ignition and it eventually froze it up. A clock repairman said the same thing, that WD40 gums up clocks and locks. He recommended 3 in 1 oil.

You may have luck with it and that's okay. I won't use it on my locks, though.

For those who don't believe me, here's a link to a locksmith site warning of the pitfalls of WD40: Can I use WD-40 in a Frozen Car Lock?
CMitch, with all due respect, DISPLACE means 'to take the place of' or 'replace'. So 'displaces moisture' means that it takes the place of moisture. Why would the manufacturer tout its product as attracting moisture?

Displace | Define Displace at Dictionary.com

Here is a forum of locksmiths commenting on the use of WD40. After reading 5 pages, the yeas and nays are almost a dead heat. It's a matter of choice or preference.

Lock Picking 101 • View topic - WHY IS THE WD-40 SO BAD?
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Will Moderate For Cigars

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
CMitch, with all due respect, DISPLACE means 'to take the place of' or 'replace'. So 'displaces moisture' means that it takes the place of moisture. Why would the manufacturer tout its product as attracting moisture?

Displace | Define Displace at Dictionary.com

Here is a forum of locksmiths commenting on the use of WD40. After reading 5 pages, the yeas and nays are almost a dead heat. It's a matter of choice or preference.

Lock Picking 101 • View topic - WHY IS THE WD-40 SO BAD?
I have found that older, more experienced locksmiths hold this opinion just as my recently deceased clock man, Mr. Farley. WD40 is Kerosene, basically. It ATTRACTS moisture as a tool to get rid of moisture in tight places. WD40 considers their product a moisture 'displacement', their oxymoron, not mine. It is no mystery that many gasoline additives contain petroleum distillates similar to WD40 for the express purpose of removing minute amounts of moisture from your fuel tank. Alcohol is even a better/worse moisture attractant (depends on how you look at it, if you want to remove, attract moisture, then it's great. But it also can attract moisture from the air if there's none present in the area).

I'm not surprised that we have a division in this issue. it's sort of like opinions and tailholes. You have your opinion it's harmless. It would make more sense to me it's harmful, judging from it's properties. If one were to use WD40 to free up a froze lock, then lubricate with 3 in 1 oil, that would probably do the trick. But most people spray it in there and leave it to cause trouble later.

My question is: Since there are more suitable lubricants for locks available, why not use them instead?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class