rough idle ml320? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2000 CLK430 Cabriolet, 2001 ML55, 1993 190E 2.3L (Greece)..
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to hyprr1
(Thread Starter)
rough idle ml320?

Ok this is the deal. I've own my ML for 2-3 months now and it's been great, so far!
But one week ago I put some gas from a station out in no-man's land. I was running fairly low, so I stopped
and filled her up. I usually use the middle brand of gas. As I approached my fill up, I noticed a lady in a 2007
Altima that had just finished pumping gas in her car. When she tried to start her car, she had to crank it 6-7 times until
it started. I didn't think anything of it. My ML started no problem, but the next day the issue started. CRAZY rough idle.
I poured some Octane boost & water remover and it solved the problem within 10min. The next fill up I used 94 octane and the
problem came back......My truck is running so bad. It has a rough idle and feels like it's mis-firing (sputter). It still idles around
600-700 rpm, but the needle bounces a bit up and down. No CEL, just crapy running ML320.............
Any ideas???
Fuel filter?
spark plugs?
coil pack?

Spiros aka "1BADAMG".....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 99 White ML320, 84 300ZX Turbo, 02 Audi A4, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv; How's that for eclectic
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe the Altima was just coincidence? You wouldn't think a late model Altima would have any other problems and that first start Should be on the "good" gas from the lines. If anything, I would think what your ML did would be more indicative of bad gas (starts fine, runs okay for a while, then develops problems).

Anyway, some of the more experienced guys may have suggestions, but I think you answered your own question with the fuel filter thought. Seems like it would take longer for plugs to foul.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Yeah your right. I haven't really performed a tune up on my ML yet, but I think I'll
start with the fuel filter.
The Altima did start at first because of the exsisting gas, but she actually turned into
the coffee shop which was next door to the gas station. She then came back out after getting her coffee and that's when she had trouble starting the car.
In the meantime I was filling my truck and noticed this whole situation. It was just so weird?
Basically before I filled up at this station, my ml ran amazing. Since this gas fill-up (a week ago) my truck has been running so bad. I'm letting it go 1/4 empty and then I'm going to Sunoco and filling up with 94 Octane. And if that doesn't work, I'll start performing a general tune-up (plugs, filters, etc.....).

I've never experienced this with my C36 AMG (in which I think is a better built vehicle than my ML320)....No offense to anyone..............lol

Last edited by hyprr1; 04-07-2010 at 09:04 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re; I'm going to Sunoco and filling up with 94 Octane

the only time in the last 30 years when i got bad gas was when i filled up (my motorcycle) with *94* octane from sunoco!
the stuff does not sell in large volumes - stays around much longer - gets old (lose of volatility) and gets the wrong seasonality (my fill up in the fall likely gave me a tank of summer gas despite it being 2 degrees c. my point - go with the 89 octane for maximum freshness.

you likely know this but a clogged fuel filter can strain your fuel pump.... might be worth changing the filter. however if the gas is bad but not impure i'm not sure the filter is impacted. does a fuel filter catch water? i dont think so. bit late now but you could have pulled a 1L sample from your tank and put it in a jar and seen if water separates out. as a minimum i think you should go back to the gas station and get your money back for the bad gas. i would have done this myself but i did not figure out the problem till the spring.

#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 99 White ML320, 84 300ZX Turbo, 02 Audi A4, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv; How's that for eclectic
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah, the story on the Altima now makes sense.

Just thinking out loud: Maybe get your regular gas and put an octane boost in it? Never done that, just throwing out there to see if anyone has negative opinion / experience.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
I'd just try running it til it's near empty, going to your usual trusted gas station, filling it up, plus a bottle of Techron for good measure, unhook the battery cable for a few seconds, put it back on, start the car, and see how it runs.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P View Post
I'd just try running it til it's near empty, going to your usual trusted gas station, filling it up, plus a bottle of Techron for good measure, unhook the battery cable for a few seconds, put it back on, start the car, and see how it runs.
Yes, I'll try that for sure. Hopefully it'll work out ok.
If not, I'm taking it to my trusted mechanic. There really isn't a way for
me to test out a few other culprits (fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, coil packs, catalytics
etc..............) so it's best for me to just take it to him and hope it's not something
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....
I usually do the repairs to my cars myself, but i'm extremely busy with some home repairs these days..........."I guess, when it rains, it pours"!................lol

Last week it was my differential on my C36 AMG, now it's my rough running ML320!
"Come-on Mercedes", I'm not lovin you lately!.........lol

Thanks to everyones feedback & I'll let you guys know what the results are!
Attached Images

#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
I would think that fuel starvation will give you cel by now. You can check your fuel delivery volume by taking off the fuel supply line on your engine at the fuel rail with 19mm open wrench and turn the key on while catching the fuel to a container. If you get 1 qt./liter in less then 30 seconds, and the fuel rail pressure is about 50-55 psi at idle, your fuel filter is fine. I'm still on the small original at 165K miles running fine.
Check your air filter too while you have your hood up.
Bernard

1999 ML320 230K miles
2001 ML320 162K miles
2003 Lexus GX470 285K miles
1980 280SE W126 EURO 142mph top speed (sold)
#9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprr1 View Post
Yes, I'll try that for sure. Hopefully it'll work out ok.
If not, I'm taking it to my trusted mechanic. There really isn't a way for
me to test out a few other culprits (fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, coil packs, catalytics
etc..............) so it's best for me to just take it to him and hope it's not something
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....
I usually do the repairs to my cars myself, but i'm extremely busy with some home repairs these days..........."I guess, when it rains, it pours"!................lol

Last week it was my differential on my C36 AMG, now it's my rough running ML320!
"Come-on Mercedes", I'm not lovin you lately!.........lol

Thanks to everyones feedback & I'll let you guys know what the results are!

Well, I'm getting my truck back tmrw.
Codes came up as mis-firing cyl. 4, 5, 6.
Basically my ML was in dying need of spark plugs and wires replacement.
My mechanic says that the truck is running amazing now and this tune up was long over due.
Original plugs and wires, so maybe now my gas mileage will be better?
$800 (replaced all 12 spark plug wires, 12 spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter).....

Pic. below: just joking, I still love my Mercedes.................
Attached Images

Last edited by hyprr1; 04-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
i hope you didn't pay for the 4 spark plug wires that aren't attached to anything. :-)

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.