Help! ML320 looses acceleration at all speeds - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Exclamation Help! ML320 looses acceleration at all speeds

My 1988 ML320 looses power at all speeds (175k miles). While driving straight at highway speeds, the engine rpm drops all of a sudden slowing down the vehicle from 65 mph to 40mph within several seconds. Pressing the accelerator paddle does not have any effect. However most of the time power comes back. Car speeds up, but again looses power. When engine power and RPM comes backs, it thumps and jerks the car. Sometimes, a little tap on the brake helps restore power. This issue gets worse with each passing day. It happens more often and now happens at lower speed. I have no codes. I checked with Carsoft. Nothing. I suspected ABS and traction control. I disconnected a speed sensor to disable ABS ETS. Same problem persisted. I do not have ESP. I checked brake rotors. They were not hot after driving. I replaced fuel filter. I cleaned intake with seafoam through vacuum line. Changed engine oil (0W40), changed transmission fluid and filter (shell ATF134). Erased adaptive learning using carsoft. No improvement. The previous owner replaced mass airflow sensor. My next guesses will be CPS, fuel pump, throttle position/paddle transducer or throttle actuator. Any guesses? I will borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check the car out. Any suggestions? Please help.
Zigaratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
when you lose power, does the vehicle behave as though you turned the key ie dash lights turn on?

EDIT: wait nevermind, the engine doesn't completely stop does it? does it just idle, causing the slow down?
teqvexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: BMW 2007 X3 3.0si, 1999 ML 320 -Sold-
First off, you might want to upgrade to a newer model, the 1988's are known to have many issues.

That being said, when you reach 65, do you notice what gear it is in? count it up when you go up to that speed next time. Just a start.
falconnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
I don't know what Carsoft is capable of, but it would be a good idea to have the truck scanned with something that has the capability of reading M/B codes. There are many M/B codes that do not have a generic Pxxx code attached to it.

The pdf below shows Cxxx codes in the Traction System and again I suggest getting it properly scanned to save you and you pocket from rebuilding the entire truck. It's going to get real expensive.

You don't mention it, but have you considered replacing the brake light switch ($15) before you go on to CKP sensor and fuel pump.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ETS.pdf (27.5 KB, 284 views)
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqvexed View Post
when you lose power, does the vehicle behave as though you turned the key ie dash lights turn on?

EDIT: wait nevermind, the engine doesn't completely stop does it? does it just idle, causing the slow down?
No, car still had power but much less. RPM drops as if I took my foot off of gas. However, this RPM drop is more abrupt compared to taking my foot of the gas paddle. Feels like that transmission was still engaged and sudden drop of RPM was bogging the vehicle down. Vehicle slows much faster as if engine low RPM is working as brakes. I touch brake rotors and they seemed just warm, not hot.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
I don't know what Carsoft is capable of, but it would be a good idea to have the truck scanned with something that has the capability of reading M/B codes. There are many M/B codes that do not have a generic Pxxx code attached to it.

The pdf below shows Cxxx codes in the Traction System and again I suggest getting it properly scanned to save you and you pocket from rebuilding the entire truck. It's going to get real expensive.

You don't mention it, but have you considered replacing the brake light switch ($15) before you go on to CKP sensor and fuel pump.
Carsoft 7.4 multiplex specially designed for MB, reads all engine, transmission, abs, ets, and many others. It can also show live data. I have not tried the live data yet. Maybe I should drive and monitor what’s wrong. It’s a two person job, one watching data on laptop and other driving. This morning, I saw check engine light. Maybe I got something. When I go home I will hook up carsoft interface and my computer. I already changed brake light switch 2 months ago. I should change the CPS anyway. Its time. I need two cranks to start
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
How's your fuel pump/fuel pressure?
FAR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
You must be anti-Toyota! Sorry, couldn't pass on that after news of more Toyota problems today.
Darkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Fuel pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR888 View Post
I have not checked it yet. I will get a tester and check it this week.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

53-56 psig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR888 View Post
I borrowed a fuel gauge and connected to the fuel injector rail valve. Read ~55 psig. Needle was vibrating a bit. Drove around with gauge taped to windscreen. 53-56 psig. I had several episodes of rpm dropping off, as if the car was choking, speed dropping, light tapping of brake and pressing gas brought rpm back with thumps (I guess at transfer case). All the time the pressure did not drop below 53 psig. I parked ML320 with gauge connected. Went away for an hour. Came back and saw that the pressure bled to 20 psig. This might explain the second crank for starting. I dont know what else can be wrong.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class