ML 320, BAS/ESP Light on... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2000 ML 320
ML 320, BAS/ESP Light on...

I have a 2000 ML 320 and the BAS/ESP light came on while I was driving yesterday. I turned the engine off when I got to where I was going and when I restarted it, the light was off, but then came back on w/in 5 minutes. I parked it when I got home and then left about an hour later. Light was off and stayed off until this afternoon when it came back on. What's w/ the on/off deal?

I'm not noticing any unusual noises and it handles fine. Brakes work fine too, but I noticed the ESP didn't work at all when the BAS/ESP light was on....

I have an appt on Monday at a Benz dealer, but am just wondering if anyone else here has run into this issue and what the issue was that caused the malfunction.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML500
Do a search, there's plenty of thread related to this issue.
aznxtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: ML55AMG,ML320,JETTA
theres a switch behind your brake paddle, remove the switch by turning it 1/4 of a turn, lube the pin and your problem is gone. i do it about once every 10 months.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: ML55AMG,ML320,JETTA
btw. cancel you appointment. its an easy fix.
AMG NUZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2001 ML 55AMG (on the way)
Check out this DIY thread:
Brake Pedal Switch Goes Bad
Benza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all of the responses.

I've read some of the other threads here about the brake switch and have read that some have had those replaced, but it did not resolve their problem. I am hoping that's all this is though and that I don't run into the same issue as others. I don't want to keep spending money on this thing.

I absolutely LOVE my SUV, but it seems as though over the last couple of years it's been in the shop more than I'd like...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: ML500 (2002) & C320 (2001)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Thanks for all of the responses.

I've read some of the other threads here about the brake switch and have read that some have had those replaced, but it did not resolve their problem. I am hoping that's all this is though and that I don't run into the same issue as others. I don't want to keep spending money on this thing.

I absolutely LOVE my SUV, but it seems as though over the last couple of years it's been in the shop more than I'd like...
Like said above, do a quick search and you'll find that you are not alone with that problem. Unfortunately, there seems to be not just one, but multiple things that can cause your problem, but the brake switch-, relay-, speed sensor problems might be the most common ones.

This thread maybe the most recent on the problem:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...bas-light.html

good luck

K
kah1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

kah1010 - Yes, I'm finding that this seems to be a fairly common issue and that there are several different things that can cause this problem. That's the frustrating part. Like I said before, I hope replacing the brake switch will resolve it.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 2001 ML 55AMG (on the way)
I tried the switch and it worked for a short time and then the lights came back. My breaks worked fine so I pulled the bulb/s? and I never saw them again! ;-)
Benza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Benza - I've heard that before too. That people replace the switch and it works for a short while, but then the BAS/ESP light is back on again. The service manager at the Benz dealer said he has seen that as well. Had one in recently where they replaced the switch and then 16 months later they had to replace it again. That same vehicle has been in every 10 months since that time to have the switch replaced. WTH?

I know someone else here told me to cancel my appt at the dealer since this is an easy DIY fix, but the fact is I don't have a lot of time to spare, I'm not mechanically inclined and would rather it be done correctly. I also want to be sure of what exactly it is that is malfunctioning before I start replacing things that don't need replacing. Been down that road before w/ another vehicle and it wasn't pretty.

So, my ML is at the dealer and I am waiting for their call.... Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not anything major.

Thanks again all.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class