LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 ML500 power steering whining noise.

hey guys i'm new to forum, i have couple questions, first ML500 power steering whines a lot, i mean it would whine just standing still and turn little bit of steering wheel, it will start to whine very loud. i heard there are new design pump that will actually make it really quiet, is this true?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
There are several level of fixes, and there are many posts describing all the steps. One fix is to change the reservour screen, others add the official Mercedes additive Lubrizol or other additive, and all have different degrees of success.

The ultimate case is getting the updated power steering pump, and making sure the dealer or mechanic performs the air removal procedure..

My former 2001 ML 320 and my current 2005 ML 500 where very loud whiners until my power steering pump was changed to the latest part number and the air removal procedure performed. Now there is zero whine and only hear the V8 engine purr at low or higher revs...

There is a known design issue with the original power steering pumps, which causes them to begin whining loud. More even after they have a power steering hose incident and lose their power steering fluid.

Same as the engine valve noise, some people had very loud valve noises and the dealers say that is normal. Mine does not have engine valve noise (82,000 miles), after an engine head rebuild caused by an engine head defect at around 4,000 miles, and now I would have to open the hood and remove the engine plastic cover to clearly hear the valving sounds. Though valve noise is common, excessive valve noise is not and can indicate sludge in the engine, which is a very common problem in 2001 and earlier engines, or some other issue/tuning.. I do flush my oil regularly, though, to remove any sludge from my engine like I have done to all my engines.

AC

2005 ML 500
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.

Last edited by AC_ML; 09-26-2009 at 09:58 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
(Thread Starter)
do u have new part number for the pump? or where can i found this newer pump? how much does it cost around?
thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: ML-55 - 2000,
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedenali View Post
do u have new part number for the pump? or where can i found this newer pump? how much does it cost around?
thanks
Please do not shoot for the pump staight away. Replace the reservoir first and follow the correct bleeding procedure. If whine persist try using Lubrisol. These two took care of mine...
Search here for bleeding instr. and lubrisol...
If these dont work then think abt the pump.

AMG 19X9.5 Wheels,
Stock AMG 18X8.5 Wheels
Yokohama Advan S/T 295/45/19 Tires,
Bridgstone Dueller 285/50/18
SCHATZ Chrome Rear hatch handle,
SCHATZ Chrome Headlight Trim
Chrome AMG License Frame,
SCHATZ Chrome Side Light Surrounds,
German Howell Chrome Door Lock Surrounds,
German Howell Chrome Indash Air vent surrounds,
AMG Stem Valve Caps
LED Tail Lights
#5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 AM
tma
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Check your power steering fluid first before you go further. If it is low, top it up first. Check for the leak usually on the high presure side.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.