Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

update on parktronic

871 views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  Drew 
G
#1 ·
I received an e-mail today on parktronic quote:<br> <br> <br> 10 Sensor 49.25 492.50<br> 10 SPACER RING 2.00 20.00<br> 1 Center Console 265.55<br> 1 Control unit 136.45<br> 1 Cable Harness 12.00<br> 1 Cable Harness 101.00<br> 1 Cable Harness 101.00<br> 1 Buzzer 85.00<br> <br> <br> Aside from all of this -- you need to replace the front and<br> rear bumpers to accomodate the parktronic sensors.<br> <br> kinda expensive huh!

G
#2 ·
Ed, it looks like this is the Parktronic system that you buy for the '02 MLs as a factory option (6 sensors up front, 4 in the rear). It is definitely not the Bosch Parkpilot system that I have. The '02 spacer rings will not work for the pre-'02 models because of the different bumper shapes.

G
#3 ·
Did you think about any of the other aftermarket ones?

I like the idea of the Parktronic as well, but I had a hard time justifying the idea of a $950 distance sensor. I'm opting to go for something a little less expensive and still pretty functional - I hear that Poron released a new version of their Micro system that is accurate down to 6', and it runs for less than $200. If I find the time, I think I might give that one a shot.

G
#4 ·
Re: Did you think about any of the other aftermarket ones?

John, I would recommend the PoronUSA 3 sensor system (www.poronusa.com). In fact, they have a special on it right now I think. I have tried it personally and I know that it works quite well. Granted, it's not as fancy as the Bosch Parkpilot, but it definitely works. <br> <br> You can also mount it in a variety of ways, and paint the sensors so that they blend in nicely. Autotoys.com installed theirs in one way (check the DIY section), but the instructions are helpful nonetheless. If you need more tips, I may be able to assist. It shouldn't take you too long (couple of hours or less; I know that you have some pretty tight time constraints nowadays), and I would STRONGLY recommend that you do the install prior to installing the rear mudflaps. I learnt this the hard way.

G
#5 ·
Thanks, Drew...

if I honestly thought I'd have any time this week to install it, I'd have ordered it already!<br> <br> BTW - you mentioned someone has it on special? Know who, by any chance? I saw a mention of it somewhere, but there was no site or price listed.<br> <br> Granted - it's nowhere near the integration or featureset of the Parktronic - then again, for less than $200, you can't expect it to match up feature-for-feature against a $950+ system. I'm also more concerned with the rear detection, not the front.

G
#6 ·
Re: Thanks, Drew...

Hmm, Poronusa used to sell it directly (www.poronusa.com), with a special of $199 for the 3 sensor system. However, I can't find that spot on their site any longer. You might want to call them and ask. The phone number is still on their website.<br> <br> Don't forget that the $950 quoted was for a 10 sensor system (front and back). I only have the rears on mine (Bosch doesn't sell an aftermarket front kit anyway; academic really since I have the brushguard), but it was more than $200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.