Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil leak by AC Compressor

34K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Kuba Kalinowski 
#1 ·
Today i change the gasket, take a look at the pictures, Tomorrow i have to drive the car to see if the oil leak stop with the new gasket. Update soon

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That's a well-known issue on these engines, good you found yours and got it fixed. :thumbsup: Nice of you to take the time to take all the pics and add the details to help out others.

FWIW, there is an updated cover that is supposed to reduce further the odds of it leaking again.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

#8 ·
I was about to give this a shot on my ML55. Unfortunately my 8 cylinder engine bay is a pretty tight fit and I can't get access to this cover without taking off my serpentine belt. Not only that, but the only easy access to the belt tensioner seems to be from underneath the truck. I think it's time to get my tech involved.

#12 ·
Was under the car yesterday and found the exact same leak - thanks for the diagnosis my BP just went down about 50 points! Stupid questions: I have a 98 E320 will I be able to get at that without removing the belt? What type of bolts are those, are they typical metric bolts or are they some type of star drive? How much oil should I expect to lose?

Thanks again.

#23 ·
So after looking at that V8 down in the engine bay, in order to replace the little cover and gasket it looks like I'll have to:

1. remove the headlights
2. remove the cross member that goes over top of the radiator
3. remove the aux fans
4. remove the radiator fan (not sure I can do this if a special tool is needed?)
5. remove the radiator fan shroud
6. remove the serpentine belt

For anyone who's done this before, does that sound about right or am I complicating things? Or is there an easier way?

JD

#33 ·
Just felt like updating this since I found many different torque settings for the bolts that hold on the cover. My dealership said 9nm for the center plug bolt, and 10nm for the 2 bolts holding on the cover. I broke one of the bolts replacing the cover, and it turned into a nightmare real quick. This was on a '99ml320 (not mine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.