Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone install a CD changer in an 02 yet?

742 views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  Jeff in CT 
G
#1 ·
My 02 320 is due in during March. I am going to purchase a MB CD changer from either Clair or auotclass. My dealer says that if they don't sell it they won't install it. I would imagine it is a pretty straight forward install. Has anyone done it? I understand that I need to get the mounting arm as well as the changer. Anything else??? Thanks

G
#2 ·
I had the dealer install mine, but I'd imagine the cables are already run and it looks pretty easy. Look for an orange fiber and a black power cable in the passenger-side cargo area (where the spare tire tools are). I can get details about where they come from (above/below opening, etc.) if you need them.

G
#3 ·
A buddy told me you have to tell the computer the changer is there. true?

A friend thought that the dealer would have to set the computer to tell it that the CD changer is now present. Anyone know whether this is true or not? Thanks

G
#4 ·
Re: A buddy told me you have to tell the computer the changer is there. true?

That's a good question. When I hit the CD button on my MCS without the changer installed, it tries the in-dash CD first. A second hit will give me a 'No Changer' message. If you get the same thing then I'd imagine that you don't need to program the MCS. If you do need to get it programed you can still probably save some money by doing most of the install yourself and having the dealer turn on the feature. <br> <br> I should warn you that my first CD Changer did turn out to be bad; troubleshooting an install like this may be tough if things don't go smoothly. Did you manage to find the optical and electrical cables?

G
#5 ·
Jeff - do a search for nav installation instructions...

AJM threw up some scans of the TSBs from Mercedes on how to install the nav.<br> <br> Why is that pertinent? Well - the first half of those instructions are on how to install the in-dash CD player. It involves removing the MCS from the dashboard, putting the drive into the MCS, and returning the MCS to the dash.<br> <br> All depends on how handy you are - I don't think that install is very difficult, so I'd give it a shot. YMMV though. What your dealer is telling you is BS though - you tell them that if they won't install something you bought, you'll just go to another dealer, and use them for service as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.