ML320 No Horn & SRS Light - Clock Spring, Child Seat or Fuse? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
ML320 No Horn & SRS Light - Clock Spring, Child Seat or Fuse?

I recently has an oil change at a local independent shop and soon afterwards my horn began to have problems and my SRS light came on.

I checked the fuse on the drivers side wheel well and it was very loose. I pushed it back in but I still have no horn and the SRS light. If I reset my SRS light would that alleviate my SRS problem?

Can I reset my SRS light by disconnecting the + terminal on my battery for 5 minutes?

I've seen postings of problems with the clock spring and also the child seat sensor. Could it be one of these? It sounds like the Clock Spring because I have no horn and an SRS light.

Is a clock spring difficult to replace?

Thanks.
MassAirflowDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Is it possible this problem originated at the shop by overcranking the steering wheel or pushing the wheels during the oil change?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassAirflowDude View Post
Is it possible this problem originated at the shop by overcranking the steering wheel or pushing the wheels during the oil change?
The answer to this question is aboslutely not.

What fuse was loose in the footwell fuse box? The fuse for the horn is #37 in the underhood fuse box.
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

P0030 No Horn & SRS Light

I'll have to look to see exactly which fuse, but it was one of the two large gray block fuses in the passenger side box.

Can I reset the SRS by disconnecting the battery?
Currently the SRS flashes on and off and on permanently everytime that I start the engine.

I only mentioned the gas station as a possibility because a previous post stated that one of the most common ways to break a clock spring is up on a lift. Is that true?

Since I have no horn with an SRS light, is it definitely the clock spring?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I'll have to look to see exactly which fuse, but it was one of the two large gray block fuses in the passenger side box.

Can I reset the SRS by disconnecting the battery?
Currently the SRS flashes on and off and on permanently everytime that I start the engine.

I only mentioned the gas station as a possibility because a previous post stated that one of the most common ways to break a clock spring is up on a lift. Is that true?

Since I have no horn with an SRS light, is it definitely the clock spring?

Thanks.

Usually, the only way the tape inside the clock spring breaks is when the steering column is disengaged from the steering rack and the steering column movement is not secured.

No the SRS light cannot be reset by disconnecting the battery. It must be done by a scanner.

First check fuse #37 to see that is good, if it is have someone press the horn pad while you listen at the right footwell fuse box to hear if the horn relay clicks.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

The horn relay is clicking, but I'm not sure if it is doing it everytime. If you pump the horn rapidly, it sounds like it misses some of the clicks. Could it be bad?

Also, when I briefly removed the horn relay earlier while testing the fuses, is it possible that it set off the SRS light and that relay needs to be reset to be recognized by the system for the horn to work?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
The horn relay is clicking, but I'm not sure if it is doing it everytime. If you pump the horn rapidly, it sounds like it misses some of the clicks. Could it be bad?

Also, when I briefly removed the horn relay earlier while testing the fuses, is it possible that it set off the SRS light and that relay needs to be reset to be recognized by the system for the horn to work?

Thanks

If the horn relay clicks, then the horns themselves are bad.

The horn relay has nothing to do with the SRS system.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

When the SRS light came on the horn did work partially, but I had to push several times. The horns failed completely and haven't worked since. Both failed right after my oil change.

Does this make it seem like a clockspring issue?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
When the SRS light came on the horn did work partially, but I had to push several times. The horns failed completely and haven't worked since. Both failed right after my oil change.

Does this make it seem like a clockspring issue?
It seems as if you want someone to tell you that the clockspring is bad and that you should change it. You have the truck to test, we do not.

In regards to the horns, if the relay clicks when you press the horn pad and fuse #37 is good, that means that there is nothing wrong with the clock spring, then the only thing left is the horns themselves. Remove the connector from the horn, and apply ground to where the BROWN wire was and then apply voltage to where the DARK GREEN wire was. If the horn does not sound then you need horns. If the horn sounds then you have broken wires.

In regards to the SRS light, a scanner must read the code(s) to pinpoint where the problem is. There is no shortcut.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Horn & SRS Light

Thanks!!!!

I only mention the clock spring because I saw a single post where someone said if you have and SRS light and horn malfunction it is the clockspring.

Excellent advice on:
In regards to the horns, if the relay clicks when you press the horn pad and fuse #37 is good, that means that there is nothing wrong with the clock spring, then the only thing left is the horns themselves.

I'll check tomorrow when it gets light out.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class