Brake lights stay on and SBS light is on! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Unhappy Brake lights stay on and SBS light is on!

RE: 2000 ML320 with 70,000 miles

Last week my SBS light came on. I researched it on here, assumed it was a sensor somewhere in the car and decided to try to find a MB mechanic who could do some side work in Denver. Then yesterday one of my co-workers who pulled out of our work garage behind me called me to tell me that my brake lights are staying on (all three rear). I checked to see if turning on my headlights would make a difference (no) and I checked to make sure my e-brake wasn't on (nope). I don't know that these two items are connected and I wish I knew when this brake light problem developed. I did get my front and rear brakes replaced a couple weeks ago if there is any way those items would be connected. I have no other dash lights on except the SBS.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? I am about ready to run away from the car and get something else but I love how the ML handles in the snow. Plus I have no payments and don't really have the money to start making them again.. although I don't want to continually pour money in to this one too.

I need help soon so I don't end up wrecking! Thank you so much!
MeghanD82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanD82 View Post
RE: 2000 ML320 with 70,000 miles

Last week my SBS light came on. I researched it on here, assumed it was a sensor somewhere in the car and decided to try to find a MB mechanic who could do some side work in Denver. Then yesterday one of my co-workers who pulled out of our work garage behind me called me to tell me that my brake lights are staying on (all three rear). I checked to see if turning on my headlights would make a difference (no) and I checked to make sure my e-brake wasn't on (nope). I don't know that these two items are connected and I wish I knew when this brake light problem developed. I did get my front and rear brakes replaced a couple weeks ago if there is any way those items would be connected. I have no other dash lights on except the SBS.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? I am about ready to run away from the car and get something else but I love how the ML handles in the snow. Plus I have no payments and don't really have the money to start making them again.. although I don't want to continually pour money in to this one too.

I need help soon so I don't end up wrecking! Thank you so much!
Could be a faulty brake light switch, see -
The M-Class Outpost - The M-Class Enthusiasts' Site
azinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
I second that.

Don't give up on the truck just yet.
FAR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Talking Problem solved!

Thanks guys. I should have written back sooner to let you know that it was indeed a faulty brake light switch. For the ML, there are two types of switches so for anyone else out there, get the last six characters of your VIN when you call to order a part. I got mine in town and it didn't cost any more than ordering it online. The switch was hard to get out (for a lefty) but your help saved me loads of time and money. Thank you SO much for the step by step instructions.

I'm going to try to replace the child safety seat airbag sensor before I move on to other things because that seems like a likely cause.
MeghanD82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class