Low Beam Light Replacement - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Low Beam Light Replacement

Hello,

Can anyone tell me step by step how to change the low beam light bulb on my 02 ML320?
I have read the manual but after I remove the cover in the back, I get lost. The manual doesnt' do a good job describing the rest of the steps (mostly due to lack of good pictures).
Thanks for your help!
E
elvis_tcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 03 ML500 Silver / Charcoal Interior with Sport Package
Just changed the bulbs on my ML500, assuming you have halogens. It's pretty simple- however if you have large hands get your wife or someone with small hands, otherwise you will spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to fit your hand into the small space.

If you're facing the truck, once you remove the cover; the bulbs have a turn and click mechanism. Turn the bulb to the right to loosen from the housing and it will come out. Unplug the bulb from the connector, replace with new bulb. Make sure bulb is lined up with connector or it won't seat when you put it back in.

Once you have the bulb connected properly, put it back in, turn to the left to seat back into place. Driver side is worst due to lack of space, coolant reservoir is there so you've got about 3 inches from the frame to the reservoir to manuever.

It's simple, just find someone with small hands and good dexterity.
SilverMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Much easier to do if you remove the complete headlight unit. After removing the painted vinyl strip under the headlight just remove three 10mm screws and your there. Might want to mark exactly where the light was mounted with masking tape so that you install the light back in the proper position. My 2 cents.
azinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 03 ML500 Silver / Charcoal Interior with Sport Package
Azinn,

I had to do that with my STS, didn't think about it pulling the whole headlamp unit out. That should make it way easier.
SilverMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
The easiest way is to partially remove the headlamp assembly. You do not need to disconnect the wires, since once you pull out the headlamp assembly, you can turn it so that the bulbs sockets are facing up. Once you get the vinyl strip and the screws/nuts out, then you can carefully maneuver the assembly out of its location.

There is another plastic tip at the top (closed to the top screw), that secures the headlamp in place, this tip can break and then it is difficult to correctly align your headlamp assembly. When you are removing the assembly, you need to carefully pop it out, and when you are placing it, you need to carefully pop it in before you put the screw and nuts.

Be patient and carefull when removing and placing back the painted vinyl strip. It can break easily and there is this plastic piece, at the edge, which can fall and then the strip will not fit tightly..

AC
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.
AC_ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2014 C250 sports coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by azinn View Post
Much easier to do if you remove the complete headlight unit. After removing the painted vinyl strip under the headlight just remove three 10mm screws and your there. Might want to mark exactly where the light was mounted with masking tape so that you install the light back in the proper position. My 2 cents.
That's what I did to install my xenons and it was a snap.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2009
Red face Removing clear plastic headlight cover (passenger side)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMerc View Post
Just changed the bulbs on my ML500, assuming you have halogens. It's pretty simple- however if you have large hands get your wife or someone with small hands, otherwise you will spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to fit your hand into the small space.

If you're facing the truck, once you remove the cover; the bulbs have a turn and click mechanism. Turn the bulb to the right to loosen from the housing and it will come out. Unplug the bulb from the connector, replace with new bulb. Make sure bulb is lined up with connector or it won't seat when you put it back in.

Once you have the bulb connected properly, put it back in, turn to the left to seat back into place. Driver side is worst due to lack of space, coolant reservoir is there so you've got about 3 inches from the frame to the reservoir to manuever.

It's simple, just find someone with small hands and good dexterity.
Lots of great help information here and I was feeling a little dumb, because I thought the replacement was happening from the FRONT of the headlamp housing. But it is from the BACK of the headlamp housing. So it is possible to replace the lamp without removing the headlamp housing assembly. Forewarning, though, you must have strong fingers to reach into the housing from the back, turn the bulb-and-wire mount counterclockwise and unsnap. Have some bandaids handy. ;-) My ML500 is a 2006 model with sport package.
Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by pebblebeachbum; 01-31-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: I figured out what I was doing wrong.
pebblebeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class