Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Benz quality

710 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  Speedi 
G
#1 ·
I was reading with interest that thread because it proves my observations for that last few years and I rather comment on subjectives than technical because of the difficulty of distance, like a friend of mine, he calls me over the phone and explains to me the symptons, his dozer is sluggish, we agree is the converter, problem was the turbo or his P51 is rough, we agree is the carburetor, problem was corrosion on the cam lobes, have to realize is a 60 year old Merlin.<br> <br> A couple of days ago suddenly the front left brake on my ML started to drag, the burnt smell was strong, lucky for me the last two miles I knew people along the road, I made pit stops here and there to cool the brakes, they were smoking, the last stop I carefully used water because of the time factor, the grease on the hub was frying so was the anti squeal compound, at that point I did not care if I cracked the rotor, I had the reds that bad, because the third time recently. Now I have to do the rigamarole dance with the dealer, a painfull inconvenience.<br> <br> Which leads me to reflect, here is a premiun brand where I paid forty some thousands and it should be free of small annoyances, the percentages seem to me to be high. I was reading the chart that Wolfgang provided and the numbers there dont look bad, probably the ML is the biggest contributor to those numbers but for Mercedes it should be at the top of the list, period. It is my strong belief that today's automobile rests in great part on the technologycal achievements of German automakers, based on hystorical fact up to the present, but what we are facing here is not a question of engineering which Mercedes has it in the bag but one of execution and that one has many faces, like who your suppliers are and the quality of their parts, like the great amplitud that Mercedes gave to some suppliers to even design some of the components, the labor force, the pressure of the big stock holders as to company policy, modus operandy, tradition and integrity Vs amount of profit. Mercedes still has a strong reputation but we all know that is a lot easier to come down from a hill than to get back to the top, remember in the 70's Mercedes was synonimous for quality, not today.<br> <br> As a dedicated brand loyalist it pains me to see the star tarnishing (and I know that I am not the only one), I wish I could somehow comunicate to that isolated and unreachable top, HEY! HEY! QUALITY is the ISSUE, the whole house of BENZ seats on it, what are you doing?<br> <br> Have a good day gentlemen,

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Believe the quality problem began with the current CEO who I believe does not understand the problem nor does he know how to deal with customers that have always demanded quality. This all stems from the top and water runs down hill. He also has made a large irreversable mistake with the purchase of Chrysler which is taking much of his time and lots of corporate resorces to keep afloat. Believe that many MB assets that would otherwise have gone into QC have been going into Chrysler including cash and engineering resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.