Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please help: Replaced battery now car wont move.

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Pop45398 
#1 · (Edited)
!!! Please help: Replaced battery now car wont move - only idle speed???

Hi guys, I own a 2000 ML430. I didnt start it for about a week and went in to start and the battery was dead. Tried jumping it with my Volvo and it refused to start. I removed the battery and put a new one in and it started right up. Idle was good .... everything sounded fine .. except when I press the gas pedal, nothing happens and the BAS light is on. Here is what I tried since then ... I had my son press it and looked at the throttle cable and it moves fine, I disconnected the maf and the idle goes from consistent to erratic. I know its not the CPS because that was replaced new about 4 months ago. car had no cel or anything when I parked it off a week ago. From what Ive read on these forums, it sounds like it may be my tps (throttle position sensor). I read several ways to reset it .. all of which I tried. The key has 3 positions . I left it in pos 1 for about 3 mins w/out touching accelerator, then tried starting w/out touching accelerator.. same with pos 2 .... same with pos 3 .. (then tried slowly depressing and letting up gas pedal), tried the wheel turn to full lock both right and left several times. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how to reset the throttle .. please .. I'm desperate ... Mercedes stealership is about 40 miles from home and, after paying spousal support, I'm more than a little broke. cant afford towing charges. :bowdown: There must be another way to reset the tps adaptation without using the mercedes sds. :confused: Someone? Anyone? Any suggestions at all.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have an update. Had it towed into Mercedes and they said I need a new throttle valve. Cost:$1800, plus 130 bucks for the diagnosis (if I dont do the throttle valve with them). Anyone ever replace a throttle valve on an ML430? Any directions/advice would be helpful. I dont have a lot of faith in the service techs at the dealership so it may not be this .. but their attitude is start replacing everything and we'll eventually get it right.

#3 · (Edited)
I have an update. Took it into Mercedes and they said I need a new throttle valve. Cost:$1800. Anyone ever replace a throttle valve on an ML430? Any directions/advice would be helpful. I dont have a lot of faith in the service techs at the dealership so it may not be this .. but their attitude is start replacing everything and we'll eventually get it right.
You do not need a Throttle Actuator, so don't spend the money. Start all over again by removing the negative battery cable for 3 mins. or so and then reattach it. Turn the key to pos. #2 and leave it there for 3 mins. or so then press the pedal slowly to the floor and let up slowly. After you start the truck do not touch the gas pedal. Let the truck idle on its own for about 5 mins. This is the only resetting procedure available.

#5 ·
Hi guys, Thank you for the response. I removed the neg battery cable for 5 mins, put it back in (clock and stuff reset to 12.00), turned the key twice in the ignition (where all the stuff on the dash lights up), left it in for exactly 3 mins, slowly depressed (all the way) the gas, then let it up slowly, then turned the key all the way to start it up and let it idle for 10 mins without touching the gas. Went back to the garage after 10 mins, and pressed the gas pedal. Still nothing ... like no throttle .. and the BAS light is still on. Am I missing something or did I do a step wrong? Could it be the brake light switch or something? Its just so weird .. cos the car was perfect until the battery died ... and now its like something broke cos the battery died. It makes no sense ....

#6 · (Edited)
Thought I would provide an update. Towed it back to the dealer. After a few days and a few techs looking at it .... Apparently, my ECM experienced a voltage spike and stopped communicating. Thats why no resets worked and my computer would not show any errors. No way to fix it. Only fix is to get a new ECM. The dealer replaced it and my truck is back to normal. Total cost $2515.28. Apparently ECMs can only come from germany and each one is vin specific. You cant get one from a junk yard or of ebay. Dont know how much of this is a crock of you-know-what but my ML is running again.

#7 ·
Thought I would provide an update. Towed it to the dealer. Apparently, my ECM experienced a voltage spike and stopped communicating. Thats why no resets worked and my computer would not show any errors. No way to fix it. Only fix is to get a new ECM. The dealer replaced it and my truck is back to normal. Total cost $2515.28. Apparently ECMs can only come from germany and each one is vin specific. You cant get one from a junk yard or of ebay. Dont know how much of this is a crock of you-know-what but my ML is running again.
WOW!!!!! Owning a Legendary Mercedes Benz is not cheap. The Mercedes Experience, Unlike Any Other. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Thats what i think happened. When I tried jumping it, it must have somehow got spiked. The tech advisor said that late in 2000 or 2001 Mercedes put in something to prevent this spike from happening but all the prior models are prone to it. Bottom line is never try to jump a mercedes with another vehicle .. or if you have no choice, make sure the other vehicle is not running with keys out of its ignition. Hard, expensive, lesson learned by me. Hoping this helps another forum member that was thinking of jumping their car, or if they did and their symptoms are like mine was (where the reset doesnt work), you have my sincere, heart felt, condolences.

#12 ·
I have found bad things happen when jumping a Benz. My 400E had the headlight relay blow, Blower motor fuse go and a couple other relays when jumping the one time I "jumped it". I always disconnect the battery and charge now. Voltage spike are so common and ECM's are just too expensive. I spent the extra money on a warrenty battery so I get free charging when it dies. I love some of the deals companies have.

#13 ·
My battery died once and I tried to jump start from another vehicle. I called the Mercedes phone number for an assistance and they told me to try to jump start it first. It didn't work. There was only a clicking noise but nothing else. The engine didn't start. So, they have sent a roadside assistance truck (2005 ML) and the guy replaced the battery. After this, everything worked perfectly. Probably I was lucky enough not the get the ECM spiked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.