Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help! - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
I looked under the latch (on my 98 ML320); you have to look right above the electric fans. I saw a small plastic cap that is immediately below the latch. with a screw driver, I was able to move the latch. If this cap is there for all MLs, then this is the way to open the hood when the cable breaks.

If the hood is locked and the cable is broken, then the way to get to this opening is by removing (partly breaking) the grill. Once the grill is removed, then just look up right in between the 2 electric fans. You will see the plastic cap. Remove that cap with a flat-head screw driver and just push the latch-to-cable attachment towards the driver side, the latch moves and the hood releases.

The only use for that plastic cap and the opening under the latch mechasim is to be able to open the latch when the cable is dead. So, MB engineers thought about this situation.

Look at the diagram posted by 43sqd, part labeled 18, that is the plastic cap that is under the latch.

I attached a cable where the latch attaches to the hood-release-cable and I ran it down towards the drivers head light (behind the bumper) and toward the horn on the drivers side. I secured the cable. I tested it. I can open the hood using that cable. This is my backup, if my hood release cable breaks.

Orientation of the pictures below - All pictures are taken looking straight at the vehicle (that is, right hand side is the drivers side).
Last picture shows the cap off and my manual over-ride cable attached to the latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-dsc00642_resize.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-dsc00643_resize.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-dsc00644_resize.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-dsc00645_resize.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-dsc00646_resize.jpg  

Last edited by pcy; 05-09-2009 at 07:41 PM.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1998 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
I looked under the latch (on my 98 ML320); you have to look right above the electric fans. I saw a small plastic cap that is immediately below the latch. with a screw driver, I was able to move the latch. If this cap is there for all MLs, then this is the way to open the hood when the cable breaks.

If the hood is locked and the cable is broken, then the way to get to this opening is by removing (partly breaking) the grill. Once the grill is removed, then just look up right in between the 2 electric fans. You will see the plastic cap. Remove that cap with a flat-head screw driver and just push the latch-to-cable attachment towards the driver side, the latch moves and the hood releases.

The only use for that plastic cap and the opening under the latch mechasim is to be able to open the latch when the cable is dead. So, MB engineers thought about this situation.

Look at the diagram posted by 43sqd, part labeled 18, that is the plastic cap that is under the latch.

I attached a cable where the latch attaches to the hood-release-cable and I ran it down towards the drivers head light (behind the bumper) and toward the horn on the drivers side. I secured the cable. I tested it. I can open the hood using that cable. This is my backup, if my hood release cable breaks.

Orientation of the pictures below - All pictures are taken looking straight at the vehicle (that is, right hand side is the drivers side).
Last picture shows the cap off and my manual over-ride cable attached to the latch.
Thank you so much! That worked. Thanks everyone for helping. If this happens to anyone else in the future, hopefully they'll be able to easily fix the problem. It's pretty simple to open it this way. Thanks again!

I have found what the exact problem was with my hood latch. The cable was originally connected to the latch by a small plastic piece. Not surprisingly, that piece broke so the cable was no longer connected to the latch. My plan of action now is to order another plastic piece, or probably the complete cable (Part# A1638800059) since I probably can't get the plastic piece separately.

And I was able to somewhat save the grille. I removed it by first removing the large strips of plastic. They sort of snap out. They were damaged somewhat in the process but it is not really noticeable and the pieces are all secure. After I snapped out the strips, I unscrewed the screws backwards with needle-nose pliers for the top two rows. After those strips were removed, I used a short screwdriver to unscrew the bottom strip. It's somewhat tricky but I found it was the easiest and best way to remove the grille.
Attached Images

Last edited by ewick12; 05-10-2009 at 09:54 PM.
ewick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2009
Okay, I just went through this, using this forum and a handful of mercedes mechanics I called up, including a roadside who passed by and had no solutions. My options were to break the grill, or bring to mercedes so they could charge me between $145-350" to open the hood. I chose breaking the grill (replacement between $50-$150, depending used or new). Here is the process, as it is a little tricky:

1. brake the grill

a. zawsaw or saw would have been easier, but we used a crowbar. Be careful not to damage the fasteners so they'll be in good condition to fasten the new grill back on, but it's relatively easy to tear it off, and if you are a first timer to try and find the release, it offers you enough room to see what you are doing.

2. The black cover case.

Once the grill is off, you will see a little black cover case just to the right , below the center of the hood. you can crow bar that off too if you must.

2. Electric confusion

Once you get in the box, you will be confused because you will see electrical wires.Yep. as a 40 year mercedes expert said- You are going to have to replace it anyway. So, gently remove the wires, and brake that little metal thing off. (this is the electric portion that works in conjunction with the release for the original hood pop)

3. The release lever is located back up inside the remaining hole. It releases by sliding to the right. While doing that, you need someone else to release the latch on the hood (where the grille use to be) for the final release.

Now I must replace the serpentine belt, and idler pulley, which is the reason I needed to enter the hood apparently. Thankfully I was in line at a fast food restaurant (not for the people behind me, but for safety reasons). Turns out the idler pulley was shredded in half. no clue as if all is connected, as no prior hood cable issues, and the cable that is attached to the release runs up the drivers left side of the car, and into the middle of the front of the hood....so maybe the belt whipped it outta whack or who knows, but there was nothing to be done by pulling on the cable with pliers on the inside, even though it appeared to be still attached (at least the one cable I saw pretruding at the top did), there was nothing happening, but it seems to me that it should be a safety hazard no to be able to open the hood without busting into a grille. I have yet to figure out what the issue was with the cable in the first place, but when I know I will post.
ML320XXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewick12 View Post
... The cable was originally connected to the latch by a small plastic piece. Not surprisingly, that piece broke so the cable was no longer connected to the latch. ..
I will add this to the list of umpteenth little plastic pieces which can break and cause a bundle of headaches on this truck.

Dooloogssst!
mlfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Hey merc owner's, I have minimal experiance with my roommate's Mercedes ml320 1999. He's having this exact problem (where the hood will not pop open), the latch inside is not working and we've tried every conceivable option to get it open (like one of us pushing down outside while another pulls on the inside). I really like him and wanna help him, I'm pretty handy mechanically except I've only worked on my saab 9-5. To make matter's worse his battery is dead. I feel especially bad because when he first noticed the problem was right after I bought him a new oil cap and he went outside to put it on (because he lost his). I'm pretty sure I could get it open if we "broke" the grill, but I don't wanna have to do that and neither does he. I noticed that the grill is comprised of removable segements. Well at least it looks like it can be removed and popped back into place. Pretty much i'd like a solution that doesnt involve breaking his hood, any help would be awesome!
FriendsBenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML 320
Hi Everyone. I'm a long timer lurker, but first time poster. This forum has helped me a lot in the past and I am very thankful for that. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with something.

I have a feeling my hood cable broke. I pulled the latch, it made a sound, but the hood did not open and now the latch just swings back and forth. After searching the forums, I realized that the cable must have snapped. I took it to the dealer and asked if they could just change the cable for me. At first, they were like sure and would cost me $225 which I thought wasn't a bad deal - since a grill probably cost me about $150 and the cable probably $65 if I did it by myself. After leaving my car with them for a day, they told me that they can't change the cable and had no idea how to open the hood. They wanted $900 to investigate and "try" to repair it for me. No thanks.

So long story short, I'm back to square one. I got my car back from the dealer and I brought a grill on ebay for $80. I went ahead and took the old grill off and looked under the latch (on my 00 ML320) right above the electric fans. I see a plastic part with wires next to it. Before I accidentally break something I'm not suppose to, I wanted to see if any of you know whether this is the Electric confusion that ML320XXX was talking about or if that gold metal thing is the latch. I tried sticking a screwdriver blindly into it and moved it around, but nothing happen. Here's the pictures that I took. As always, thank you very much for your help:
Attached Thumbnails
Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-img_8015.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-img_8017.jpg   Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-img_8018.jpg  
Argofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Yes, that's the location (where you circled) where the cable attaches to the anchor. It looks like the cable broke right at the anchor.
Insert a long screw driver and lever the screw driver - the handle of the screwdriver should be pushed toward the passenger side; in other words, the tip of the screw driver should be pushing towards the driver side.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1998 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argofx View Post
After leaving my car with them for a day, they told me that they can't change the cable and had no idea how to open the hood. They wanted $900 to investigate and "try" to repair it for me. No thanks.
I like how the dealership can't even figure it out. Maybe they should issue a TSB!
ewick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes ML 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewick12 View Post
I like how the dealership can't even figure it out. Maybe they should issue a TSB!
lol, I agree. I'm glad they didn't charge me anything for holding my car hostage for a day

pcy, thank you very much for your help. I just tried inserting a screwdriver into the left side of the latch and pulled the handle towards the passenger side. It didn't seem to budge... I'll try again in the morning since it's actually nighttime here. Here's a picture of where I inserted the screwdriver... or do I insert the screwdriver after taking out the black plastic part. Not sure how that comes out though.
Attached Thumbnails
Hood Release Cable Broke...Can't Open Hood..Help!-img_8015_2.jpg  

Last edited by Argofx; 02-23-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote coding
Argofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

I think you are trying to move the anchor for the cable (immediately next to where you inserted the screwdriver). The anchor won't move. The latch that's behind the anchor is what needs to be pushed. You need to insert the screwdriver furthermore deep, and the goal is to move the latch towards the drivers side. keep trying. You are almost there.

The picture below shows a red arrow - you need to move that metal piece in the arrow's direction (towards drivers side). The end of that metal piece attaches to the hood-release-cable. The green arrow shows what needs to move to get the hood to open.
Attached Images

Last edited by pcy; 02-24-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class