BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Checkit13
(Thread Starter)
Question Rattling Noise Under ML320 (Passenger Rear)

I have a 2000 ML320 that has a rattling sound under the vehicle on the passenger side towards the rear. This sound is mainly heard while in reverse and turning the wheel, occasionally while in idle at a stop light, and sometimes while braking.

I looked under the vehicle while it was being parked in reverse gear and saw the rattling coming from the fuel tank.

I will try and shoot some photos of it and repost for further reference.

If anyone is familiar with these symptoms, or may have probable solutions, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
i have same problem with my ML-check out this topic http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ling-stop.html

PS i always thought fuel tank on the left ..
#3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkit13 View Post
I have a 2000 ML320 that has a rattling sound under the vehicle on the passenger side towards the rear. This sound is mainly heard while in reverse and turning the wheel, occasionally while in idle at a stop light, and sometimes while braking.

I looked under the vehicle while it was being parked in reverse gear and saw the rattling coming from the fuel tank. I will try and shoot some photos of it and repost for further reference.

If anyone is familiar with these symptoms, or may have probable solutions, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
One usually hears a sound (rattling in this case) but if you saw the rattling from the fuel tank, then you have isolated the problem and can now take steps to remedy it.

Quote:
Me too!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSLEG View Post
i have same problem with my ML-check out this topic http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ling-stop.html

Madsleg,

I read entirely the thread which you posted in the link above and didn't see how it was related to the problem checkit13 has.

If I understand the above thread correctly it is to do with problems of the engine shaking either as a result of plugs, wires or even engine mounts.

Checkit13 says he has a rattling sound.

When my mother's '98 ML320 had a rattle underneath it turned out to be the brackets which hold the exhaust/muffler in place.

Another culprit underneath the truck which can cause rattling, again in my mother's experience, is the round, tyre-sized hard board cover which covers the spare tyre which is under the truck. It can come loose and rattles when the truck is under load like when reversing, turning the steering wheel or when the A/C is on.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR888 View Post
Madsleg,

I read entirely the thread which you posted in the link above and didn't see how it was related to the problem checkit13 has.

If I understand the above thread correctly it is to do with problems of the engine shaking either as a result of plugs, wires or even engine mounts.

Checkit13 says he has a rattling sound.

When my mother's '98 ML320 had a rattle underneath it turned out to be the brackets which hold the exhaust/muffler in place.

Another culprit underneath the truck which can cause rattling, again in my mother's experience, is the round, tyre-sized hard board cover which covers the spare tyre which is under the truck. It can come loose and rattles when the truck is under load like when reversing, turning the steering wheel or when the A/C is on.
After reading last posts in that topic
it looks to me that its all related ,as rattling sound happen when vehicle shuddering.At least in my ML...

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class