Wipers only work on fast setting. Any ideas? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
LT1
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ML 320 Sport
Wipers only work on fast setting. Any ideas?

The washer motor seems to work, and the wipers work in the fast setting but dont seem to work on slow or intermittent. Fuse is fine. Any ideas how to fix?
LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
In all probability you need a new combination switch. That's the part underneath the steering wheel with the two arms. It's about $200 for the part alone.
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
43sqd, is the 'combination switch' repairable? (like repairing the windows switch pack). Replacing the entire 'combination switch' when only one of the function is not working seems like wasting money.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
43sqd, is the 'combination switch' repairable? (like repairing the windows switch pack). Replacing the entire 'combination switch' when only one of the function is not working seems like wasting money.
Comparing the combo switch to the window switch pack is like comparing night and day. Whether or not it can be disassembled........I don't know. But I can tell you that the combo switch is much more intricate than the switch pack. It takes in too many funtions; emergency flashers, regular flashers, flash to pass, high and low beams, front and rear wiper and washer. One screw up in disassembly and reassembly and nothing could work. It's just not worth it.

The choice of replacing the switch would have to lie with the owner depending on whether or not he felt the feature was necessary. There always isn't a quick fix to everything.
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1998 ML320
my combination switch is broken as well. I have to manually turn off the left /right turn signal, or if I turn the wheel the opposite direction with the signal on it either doesn't turn off or flips all the way to the opposite signal.

Not that big of a deal though, I would rather manually operate it like this than pay what the dealer quoted me ($350 for part + what ever they would charge for install)

http://www.ulethstudents.com
University of Lethbridge Forum
"Connect With Your Campus"
TheGodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
Comparing the combo switch to the window switch pack is like comparing night and day. Whether or not it can be disassembled........I don't know. But I can tell you that the combo switch is much more intricate than the switch pack. It takes in too many funtions; emergency flashers, regular flashers, flash to pass, high and low beams, front and rear wiper and washer. One screw up in disassembly and reassembly and nothing could work. It's just not worth it.

The choice of replacing the switch would have to lie with the owner depending on whether or not he felt the feature was necessary. There always isn't a quick fix to everything.
43sqd, I concur with your explanation. I was just asking if that combination switch is repairable. As a consumer, I would feel that I was throwing away a good part if I have to replace the combination switch because one of the functions is not working. But, I guess we can't expect a quick fix for everything :-)
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 2001 E320, ML350
when updated switch was installed, did the wiper again work normally?

in my garage the wiper in front only works in fast mode. and interestingly the rear wiper works when ever i back up.

could these problems be addressed by a new combination switch too?

Bill
billmay34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class