ML 320 battery specs - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
ML 320 battery specs

Hey guys, I need to replace my battery on my 2001 ML320. The dealer here in Canada is asking way too much for one 220 dollars plus taxes. I cannot see this battery being any special type of battery. Can anyone provide me with the original specs on the battery and I'll try and match with a cheaper aftermarket battery? Mine only says 500A 100a/h does not say the cca. Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
borvaprops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
ML 320 battery specs

Below is a link with some information, and below that is an old post of mine. Remember to use a battery memory saver. It just costs like $4.00 and you plug it into the accesory lighter and it will keep your computer and radio codes alive while you change your battery. Very handy. Don't forget your radio code, just in case...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...uctions-2.html

================

It's size #49. I bought an Excide Battery from NTB and they cost around $100.00.

The main problem is removing and loosening up the battery container in the engine comparment and moving away the cables. Remember how the cables go because they are not too long and you will have to route themin the same way to make your life easier. I think there are two small screws that will help loosen the battery enclosure.

If you are patient and loosen everything around, then you will have enought space to slide the heavy battery inside. It's not hard just takes time to do it and to figure out how to loosen the enclosure.

AC_ML
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.
AC_ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD, JDtractor. Seeking diesel pushmower
For some reasons MB is putting very big battery in ML and that size is hard to buy.
E class, who has the same engine (same cranking power) but also has more electronics is using smaller battery and I bough replacement for it at Costco for $74.
The 100 months warranty beats 24 from Mercedes hands down.
Kajtek1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
pcy
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
Only two factors we need to keep in mind for a battery replacement in an ML:
1. It must be 100Ah battery (this happened to be #49 on some manufacturers' lists)
2. The battery posts/terminals must be flush on the top (they can't protrude out).

As long as the above 2 conditions are met, you can put any battery that you are comfortable with (especially if it comes with long warranty, like the one Kaztek says above. You can't beat a battery with 100 month warranty for $74.)
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
There are three major producers of automotive and marine batteries, Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. Each one has a grading system of good, better and best, depending on the quality of the lead (recycled as opposed to freshly mined). The #49 battery you buy at Costco's is not the same battery bought from Mercedes. Absolutely not.

So I pose this question to those who want to save and cut corners. Your truck is still under warranty and your battery gives out. They allow you to watch while your new battery is installed and you see the mechanic bring over a Kirkland/Costco battery. Before he even has the chance to hoist it in, the first words out of your mouth would be "hey what gives here, why isn't it a Mercedes battery"? Would his answer of "all batteries are the same" satisfy you? The answer is quality gentlemen, plain and simple.
43sqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I did some digging and found at canadian tire for the candian counter parts an exact fit for the car. It's a motormaster battery 49-850 Size 49 and 850 cca for $100 that is less than half compared to dealership.

Thanks again
borvaprops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: ML320, E350
Post Battery replacement;

info from the Tappit bros. on NPR idicates batteries failure is do to insufficent charging, which causes sulfates to build up in the battery. I have a 2000 Ml 320 with the original battery and 2006 E350. I have received low battery messages from the E class. The ml is drive almost everyday, the E once a week. I have intstalled a battery minder on the E it seem to be working with the tricle charge. does anyone else have knowledge regarding battery life.

BTW I have a CO. vehicle which is on the HW for most of its miles and it still has the original battery MY1999 Ford Taurus. This seems to give creedence to the Tappit Bros.
Bobcat27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD, JDtractor. Seeking diesel pushmower
The original battery on our ML320 will be 10 years old in just weeks. Even remotes still have originals.
No battery minders are equal. I've been using cheap battery maintainers for my motorhome and boat and generally they do excellent job. Even revived motorcycle style battery from my PWC.
But one time it boiled small battery dry. Everything is prone to failure and can do so without monitoring.
Kajtek1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
I too am on my original 1999 ML320 Battery. I have a load tester and all is well. Yet on the auto talk radio show the pro's often warn of using old batteries and want you to swap them out every 3-4 years.
Ive saved a bunch by not doing that. I am amazed I have a strong 9 year old battery.

July 1st 2009 Update.
Now my original Battery is 10 years one Month old.

I REPLACED MY 10 year 8 month old origional battery today.
The origional was getting sluggish. Its 30F here today in Michigan.
Went with a $95 AutoZone DuraLast Duralast 49-DL. 2/17/2010

Last edited by sdanville; 02-17-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Updated information.
sdanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: Mercedes ML320 1999
Highly recommend Roadside assistance service for Battery replacement

This morning woke up with ML320 not starting. It was working great till last night. Ok time to make some early morning changes to the schedule urghh
Wify stay home because working as teacher doesnot pay bills, I will hide my face driving ur van to work. Called Geico roadside assistance to come and give jump start. Free courteous service. Anyway my wife called me at work and told me jump start worked and it's running idle for 20 mins before she turned engine off. I utilized some time during lunch to go over benzworld forum to look for some alternatives to OEM battery. Anyway came back home and tried starting my ML320 and rats it was again dead beast. Tried jump starting from my Van and even had Van running but ML320 would not take juice from Van. Finally I gave up and decided to change battery over the weekend. Had my dinner and started my computer back on. Voila I came across post here about Mercedes roadside assistance service. It was 9:30 pm by now but the opportunity was too good to pass another day. Called MB roadside service and by 10:00 pm the person was here. He jump started fine with his Mbenz running but decided it was 4 year old battery and go with the change. He changed in less than 15 mins. It was great service and total was only $149. Interestingly the service technician was from Austin MB dealer. Very happy with good service and not so bad price
jhdhaliwal is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class