#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Thumping/Knocking Sound - Torsion Bars? NO!

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share my experience in relation to the above subject so that others may hopefully benefit from it.

I have been experiencing a thumping/knocking sound on the passenger side front of my ML55 whenever I was on rough roads (which is all the time here in West Africa!) and the vehicle rocked from side to side. From my research on this Forum I thought it may well be my torsion bar bushings or some related part. Some members kindly sent me diagrams of the torsion bar and the bushing/parts required.

Luckily for me (cost wise) I decided to take it to an independent mechanic who had an assistant lie under the truck on the passenger side whilst the vehicle was rocked from side to side and lo and behold, it wasn't my torsion bars or any part of the front suspension at all. It was a piece of plastic insulation which is attached under and near to the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't know quite what that part is or what it is called but it is attached to the near passenger underside of the vehicle by 10 plastic screws and is about 3 feet in length. (Maybe 43sqd and other technically minded MLers will be able to tell us what that part is) This edge of this piece of plastic was rubbing against the chassis as the vehicle rocked from side to side and producing a thumping/knocking sound. It is worth checking that out before proceeding to the dealership who may simply put it down to your torsion bars.

I hope I have relayed and described this properly and that it helps someone save some money like I did someday.

ps. Can someone please tell us all what that part is and it's function?

Last edited by FAR888; 02-06-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Hello??? Anyone??

Last edited by FAR888; 02-06-2008 at 09:40 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Since this is the age of digital cameras, could you take and post a pic?

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Transmission

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good find Far! I too would love a picture if possible.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2004 ML500 w/ Sport Package
on my drivers side when i go over a hump or bump in the road, i hear this like knocking or not quite thumping noise sound i suppose, but not all the time. you cant feel anything while driving it, but you hear that it is something in the suspension. you think its my torsion bar or the plastic or what? it started around when it started to get cold here and i thought it was something just due to the cold. should i have it checked out? the truck is under warranty.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Send a message via AIM to laxman0324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburgundy View Post
should i have it checked out? the truck is under warranty.
Is this a serious question. Look at the vehicle you drive. GO. You could get all kinds of goodies out of this while they just replace things until they find it.

1999 Mercedes-Benz ML 320 - updated headlights and chrome grill strips...SOLD

1996 Honda Accord LX - 17x7 ADR Venomous Rims...STOLEN

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE - Clear turn signal lenses and Ravens spare tire cover...3" suspension lift, 17x8 Xterra S/C wheels with Rugged Trails, bull bar with KC Daylighters...SOLD

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE - VQ35 (250hp), 5 speed, 3" Suspension lift, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, Warn manual locking hubs
#7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2004 ML500 w/ Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman0324 View Post
Is this a serious question. Look at the vehicle you drive. GO. You could get all kinds of goodies out of this while they just replace things until they find it.
hahaha no no, what i meant is should i have it checked out RIGHT AWAY, as in is it a serious problem, or could i just wait for something when it really needs to go in. i have the warranty for another 2 years so i have plenty of time
#8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Send a message via AIM to laxman0324
Oh, that much is up to you...jack up the front and make sure none of the suspension or anything else you can grab hold of is loose...otherwise its your risk to take

1999 Mercedes-Benz ML 320 - updated headlights and chrome grill strips...SOLD

1996 Honda Accord LX - 17x7 ADR Venomous Rims...STOLEN

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE - Clear turn signal lenses and Ravens spare tire cover...3" suspension lift, 17x8 Xterra S/C wheels with Rugged Trails, bull bar with KC Daylighters...SOLD

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE - VQ35 (250hp), 5 speed, 3" Suspension lift, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, Warn manual locking hubs
#9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR888 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share my experience in relation to the above subject so that others may hopefully benefit from it.

I have been experiencing a thumping/knocking sound on the passenger side front of my ML55 whenever I was on rough roads (which is all the time here in West Africa!) and the vehicle rocked from side to side. From my research on this Forum I thought it may well be my torsion bar bushings or some related part. Some members kindly sent me diagrams of the torsion bar and the bushing/parts required.

Luckily for me (cost wise) I decided to take it to an independent mechanic who had an assistant lie under the truck on the passenger side whilst the vehicle was rocked from side to side and lo and behold, it wasn't my torsion bars or any part of the front suspension at all. It was a piece of plastic insulation which is attached under and near to the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't know quite what that part is or what it is called but it is attached to the near passenger underside of the vehicle by 10 plastic screws and is about 3 feet in length. (Maybe 43sqd and other technically minded MLers will be able to tell us what that part is) This edge of this piece of plastic was rubbing against the chassis as the vehicle rocked from side to side and producing a thumping/knocking sound. It is worth checking that out before proceeding to the dealership who may simply put it down to your torsion bars.

I hope I have relayed and described this properly and that it helps someone save some money like I did someday.

ps. Can someone please tell us all what that part is and it's function?
If i am not mistaken far, this is the rock and gravel protective shield on the passenger side. When I installed my side step bars this is what the installation manual called this part. It shields the underside from rocks and other debris.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If i am not mistaken far, this is the rock and gravel protective shield on the passenger side. When I installed my side step bars this is what the installation manual called this part. It shields the underside from rocks and other debris.
Eureka!

It looks exactly like what you describe busoptr!

It does appear to be some sort of protective cover/shield and just under the part of the vehicle where side steps would be attached to. That protective shield was rubbing against the chassis and producing a thumping/knocking noise in my case.

Quote:
Since this is the age of digital cameras, could you take and post a pic?
Ha ha ha - Touche! I will borrow my sister's digital camera and take pictures by the weekend! - It's just that I hate the things!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.