Getting Rid of the Power Steering Whine.. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
Getting Rid of the Power Steering Whine..

First the really great news...!! My Power Steering system is COMPLETELY quiet. When I drive in any gear and up-shifting and/or down-shifting, you will only here the low deep purring sound of the V8 engine.. NO WHINE WHATSOEVER...!!!

My former 2001 ML 320 and my current 2005 ML 500 always have suffered from power steering whines. One of the main reasons for trading my former 2001 ML 320 was it's very bad and horrible whine and the inability of the MB dealer to fix it. No matter what was changed: power steering pump, steering rack, etc; the noise was always there. My 2001 ML 320 whine was very bad, and it was just not a good feeling to drive it or to turn around with it.

My 2005 ML 500 is around 47,000 miles, so I got the dealer to perform the 50,000 mile Service B. This service included flushing the Brake system and the Power Steering system.

Somehow the power steering service messed up my power steering pump and the pump became very noisy again.

The dealer decided to try to fix the issue and, at the end, the service manager and the mechanic decided to change the power steering pump for the newly desiged power steering pump.

GENTLEMEN (LADIES)..!!, this newly designed pump changes completely the whole perception of your engine and the way the ML drives. You just hear the tire contact with the road and the engine purring away. NEVER I had driven an ML this quiet on the road..!! EVER...!!!

By now you all know me and how I really dislike bad services or when things work half way or are broken........ WELL..!!

I really have to recognize the "Mercedes Benz of Houston-North" dealer for the incredible service and the good will to put my 2005 ML 500 into it's best shape ever, and worth it of a Mercedes Benz drive and feel. Kudos to Mercedes Benz of Houston North and to his service manager...!!

If you have a bad case of power steering whine, and which is not caused by your power steering rack, then make sure you install the newly designed power steering pump and done professionally by an experienced MB mechanic. No whine driving at any gear and/or down/up shifting....

Regards,

AC

Disclaimer : This does not mean that my ML will not die today or tomorrow.. It just means it is working incredibly great today and worth every single dollar of those $28,000 lost in the depreciation over these last two years... I love my ML when it works as intended..!! and today I will leave it in this very satisfied and happy note..!!
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.
AC_ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML 320
I am starting to have the power steering whine but it only happens when the engine is cold and goes away after 5 minutes. There is a leak also either in the reservoir or the pump itself. According to MB USA it is covered under the extended warranty. I am dropping off the ML at the dealership next week and hoping for the best.

ML 320 2002
78,000 miles
Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 03 ML500
Do you have a part#? I need to order a pump, and I like to get the new design.
email rxra@msn.com
BLUE 08 GL320
WHAT'S NEXT MBUSA?
BETO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Kindof humorous..

Wolfgang or 43 could give more educated input..to my knowledge the design of the reservoir and the reservoir o-ring changed, but the replacement pump has remained the exactly same outisde and from the face of the pump (to my eyes, and I looked closely at one at my dealer on Tuesday).

The power steering whine/noise was endemic on all early 2000's MB with V6 (inlcuding the ML) due to both a poor o-ring design (which leads slow air leakage into the system) and the original design oil reservoir has noise (especially with some air in the system) similar to propellor "cavitation" which is high speed swirling in the fluid which causes the sound..and evidenced by swirled/foamy fluid if the system is not 100% air free and not 100% topped off with the original design reservoir.

A warranty replacement of the pump pays the dealer at MB/warranty expense, if out of your own pocket replace the reseroir and o-rign first, again see the other threads..

Keep the beat !
fabbrisd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class