BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
proper way to jumpstart a ML?

Just out of curiosity, what is the proper way to jumpstart a ML? I read somewhere that you do not leave your key in the ignition while it is being jumpstarted so how would you start the truck? Sorry for my ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 02:12 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
Send a message via AIM to DETANE
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoptr View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the proper way to jumpstart a ML? I read somewhere that you do not leave your key in the ignition while it is being jumpstarted so how would you start the truck? Sorry for my ignorance.
Don't jump start ever. What you do is get your self a Booster for about $30- $200.
http://www.nextag.com/battery-booster/search-html

You connect the wires to the battery and allow the Booster battery to allow you to crank the engine. Once you start your engine disconnect the Booster and close the Hood. Take your ML for a spin and allow the battery to charge. Battery while not charge well if at idle so please drive for a few miles before you turn your engine off. Trust me on that one

Hope that helped

Life is the thing that gets in the way of plans.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: ML 270CDI 2002
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETANE View Post
Don't jump start ever. What you do is get your self a Booster for about $30- $200.
Battery Booster - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

You connect the wires to the battery and allow the Booster battery to allow you to crank the engine. Once you start your engine disconnect the Booster and close the Hood. Take your ML for a spin and allow the battery to charge. Battery while not charge well if at idle so please drive for a few miles before you turn your engine off. Trust me on that one

Hope that helped

Surely connecting to a donor vehicles battery using jump leads (donor engine stationary) to jump start is no different than using a battery booster?

What's the difference?

busoptr....I think removing the key from the ignition issue applies when you disconnect/reconnect the ML's own battery.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
It's still amazing how a rudimentary task like jumpstarting a battery has to be discussed.There is no special way of jumpstarting an ML as opposed to any other vehicle. None whatsoever. There are so special components in an ML that millions of other vehicles do not have.

Most, if not all, problems arise from not correctly hooking up the cables. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Some accidently reverse them, others don't think it matters, but most of these errors happen at night. Once that happens the cash register starts warming up and sounds its' familiar tone. Batteries can explode and computers and modules start to burn up. Why because when you reverse polarity, everything that should be getting positive is now getting negative and vice versa. When a battery is half dead an accidental reversing can be caught in time because of the apparent high sparking involved. But not on a fully dead one. When the cables are reversed there is no forewarning and that's when electronics start to cook and wiring starts to melt.

Electronic keys go bad for a reason and probably the biggest one is error in jumpstarting. Removing one's key from the ignition, when jumpstarting, is always a good idea with any vehicle. Doing so will minimize battery drain but most importantly it will protect at least the key from damage in the case of a reversing error.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2005 ML500SE
Quote:
It is amazing to me how many people either don't have an owner's manual, or don't read it. In my 2005 owner's manual on pages 291 and 292 is a very detailed procedure of the proper method of jump starting an ML. It's not rocket science!!
#6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer Man View Post
It is amazing to me how many people either don't have an owner's manual, or don't read it. In my 2005 owner's manual on pages 291 and 292 is a very detailed procedure of the proper method of jump starting an ML. It's not rocket science!!
I dont know if you noticed but some of the guys asking the question drive a 1999 or a 2002 and dont have your 2005 manual. (Just my 2 cents)

#7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonsohall View Post
Surely connecting to a donor vehicles battery using jump leads (donor engine stationary) to jump start is no different than using a battery booster?

What's the difference?

busoptr....I think removing the key from the ignition issue applies when you disconnect/reconnect the ML's own battery.

Well you could connect jumper cables to another persons car battery if the engine is off but then of course your draining the other persons battery (Not Nice) and might leave the stranded too. Get a Booster, Save your self the trouble of getting stranded and waiting for road side to aid you (Unless you need the company I guess). JK

My next move is having 2 Optima yellow tops running parallel (one for the start, one for the toys)

#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETANE View Post
I dont know if you noticed but some of the guys asking the question drive a 1999 or a 2002 and dont have your 2005 manual. (Just my 2 cents)
I had a 2000 430 and it had a manual. I'm sure every year has had a manual. Because I now own a 2005 500 it was my only reference. For those that don't have a manual. Here's how it goes. Pos to pos and neg to neg always. Hook pos to your battery then pos to other vehicle battery. Hook neg to your battery. At this point start other vehicle and let idle ( thus no power spikes ) then attach neg to other vehicle. After your engine starts, unhook neg from other vehicle, then your vehicle. Same with pos! Same as I did 45 years years ago in cold Montana winters when I drove a wrecker!!
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ml430, 99 infiniti i30 limited edition
(Thread Starter)
i know about the pos and pos and neg and neg, what I'm asking is they said if you leave your key on while jumpstarting, the key electronics will be fried.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
i know about the pos and pos and neg and neg, what I'm asking is they said if you leave your key on while jumpstarting, the key electronics will be fried.
Make the final connection of the neg jumper cable to the neg post of the other battery, insert the key in your ML, and start the engine, remove the neg cable from the other battery, and you're finished! It makes no mention of leaving the key in or out of the ignition during this procedure in my owners manual! Bye the way I had a sign on the wall in my office that said"Who the hell is they".

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class