Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help needed in Phoenix, AZ!!

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MBSL250 
#1 ·
Hi, all.

I normally post in the W129 section (big 500sl roadster fan), so I'm new to this side.

My father-in-law spends his winters in the Tempe / Phoenix / Scottsdale area, and his 2001 Mercedes SUV has crapped out on him. He originally went to the dealer, but the problems went away, and they presented him with a big bill even though they didn't actually do anything beyond running a diagnostic. he's been to several shops with no success, they seem to think he's got electrical issues, but no luck fixing them. Now it's at yet another shop, been there two days, they haven't figured it out and aren't even returning his calls!

Anybody here have a suggestion of a reputable shop in the area that would treat him right? Somebody that can diagnose problems properly. Obviously, he doesn't want to get burned, but he's prepared to pay what's necessary to get back up and running.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

#2 ·
Welcome to the board and I hope you had a good thanksgiving. Anyway, I don't live in AZ but a lot of us here have experienced a ton of ML issiues. We may even be able to diagnose some or most of the issues your dad is experiencing. What are his ML's problems. Please supply as much details as possible. Some of the sruff can be simple DIY or just looking as a TSB.

#3 ·
Out of warranty service in Arizona

I've used Stuttgart Auto in Tucson for my out of warranty service on our (now sold) 1999 ML430. They can do anything that the dealer does for less money and they treated me well. They use genuine Mercedes parts as well. Of couse, you have a 200 plus mile round trip drive from Phoenix to deal with.

#4 ·
canuckcarnut said:
Hi, all.

He originally went to the dealer, but the problems went away, and they presented him with a big bill even though they didn't actually do anything beyond running a diagnostic. he's been to several shops with no success, they seem to think he's got electrical issues, but no luck fixing them. .

This forum is so popular, because the experiences like above are just too popular.
As already suggested, we can help with "brainstorming" the problem here, what would give your father an idea what to request from unqualified mechanics.
Can the truck be driven home with the condition?

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay replying. His SUV has some weird symptoms, it was running fine, then a couple of weeks ago he had a hard time starting it. The "automatic cranking" starter would time out a few times without the engine starting. Eventually it started, and was running fine. A couple of days later he had the same problem, took it to the dealer, they ran codes, looked things over, and said everything was fine, the vehicle had no issues (then gave him a $300+ bill for labour and shop supply).

It happened a couple more times over the next week or so, but always started eventually. He's been through more than a complete tank of gas since it started, and went to a different gas station just to make sure he wasn't getting bad fuel.

Then one day he was in traffic, at a stop light, and it died. Couldn't get it going again, called a tow truck. About 30 minutes later, as the tow truck arrived, it started and ran fine. Since then, he's had it in 3 different shops including the dealer (again), and it's been suggested that he has an electrical fault, but everybody's just guessing, since (of course) there are no symptoms when he gets it to the shop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#6 ·
canuckcarnut said:
Sorry for the delay replying. His SUV has some weird symptoms, it was running fine, then a couple of weeks ago he had a hard time starting it. The "automatic cranking" starter would time out a few times without the engine starting. Eventually it started, and was running fine. A couple of days later he had the same problem, took it to the dealer, they ran codes, looked things over, and said everything was fine, the vehicle had no issues (then gave him a $300+ bill for labour and shop supply).

It happened a couple more times over the next week or so, but always started eventually. He's been through more than a complete tank of gas since it started, and went to a different gas station just to make sure he wasn't getting bad fuel.

Then one day he was in traffic, at a stop light, and it died. Couldn't get it going again, called a tow truck. About 30 minutes later, as the tow truck arrived, it started and ran fine. Since then, he's had it in 3 different shops including the dealer (again), and it's been suggested that he has an electrical fault, but everybody's just guessing, since (of course) there are no symptoms when he gets it to the shop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Sounds like a CPS (crank position sensor) failure. Leaves no codes. Take it to a shop and have them replace it. Very common problem. My 2 cents.

#8 ·
The cps is toward the firewall on the left rear of engine. With a light you should be able to see it. If you can see it you can remove it. Pull it out. With it out and disconnected from the vehicle hook up a volt meter and check resistance. have a hair dryer near by and apply heat to sensor (don't burn it) watch the resistance it will increase slowly and around 2k ohms or so it will go to open (if its bad).

#10 ·
Why go to a mechanic at all? You guys were totally right, he had the CPS replaced today, and, so far, no problems. The mechanic who swapped it out said it was defective (not sure if he tested it or not).

Next time, I'll have him post here directly before he even gets near the dealer.

Can you believe they charged him "shop supplies" on a diagnostic call?

Thanks again.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.