#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help!!..brake,EST,BAS/ESP lights won't go off

and the car won't stop beeping. I was replacing the 3rd brake light and the two small license plate lights and afterwards, the car would not start. It only took me a few minutes to swap the lights but I figure the battery might need a jump start. On first attempt, the jump start seemingly did not work. Out of curisotiy I opened the fuse box under the hood of my 2000 ML430. I pulled the relay for the ESP/BAS lights just because i was at a loss and thought maybe i blew a fuse replacing the lights. Turns out my moron of a cousin did not connect to jumper cables to his car correctly, and when I reconnected the cables to both cars my car started up instantly. Then the real trouble started! At first when I drove the car, around certain turns the BAS/ESP, EST, and Brake lights on the intrument panel came on, the car also makes a beeping noise. Yesterday was day two and the problem got progressively worse. Now the BAS/ESP and others will not go off at all(except maybe for a second here and there, while driving) the car in incessantly beeping. All the brake pads have been changed less than 1k miles ago, the fluid is fine, and the streering sensor "trick" did not work. Also, interestingly enough the car does not seem to lose performance while driving. Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me? I'm desperate for DIY answers because I can;t afford to go to the dealer right now. They will inevitably say they will fix it by replacing the motor and charging me 30k to do it, with a smile. They alwasy lie and make small problems into expenisive repairs. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I can't deal with the beeping incessantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
(Thread Starter)
ok, fixed the problem...here are the details

Basically what I did was re-calibrate the brake sensor behind the brake pedal and then discontected the brake fluid sensor cleaned the contacts and topped off the brake fluid. After a couple hours driving around, all lights are still off and no beeping. I think I have statisfied the mercedes gods for today. I found this post very helpful and i did what this guys says....the link has a great brake line bleeding DIY indstrustions as well...post is about halfway down the threst by a poster named "pleubner"

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ing+constantly

On a side note, Never buy or bring your vehicle for service to RAY CATENA MB in Edison, NJ. I have been there several times when my ML430 has had various issues and every single time they completely misdiagnosed the problem and told me other more expenisve things were the culprit and needed replacing.....well over a grand in parts and labor estimate each time. Every time I fixed the issue(with the help of this board) for under 100 dollars. But i guess thats what you get bringing a car to a dealership owned by a known mafia associate....but hey, thats Jersey for ya.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
My best advice is to have the dealer/ private MB shop "diagnose" the problem. In my case, I tried all the possible DIY thing. the lights will just comes off sooner or later. I have my lights coming on and off since last year although there is no strange sounds or driving change but it is irritating to see those lights. My ML is now at the dealer diagnosed with ABS pump failure. First, they put the computer to check all the codes and then erase all the codes then drive the ML around the block still the computer attach to the ML. They conclude that it was the ABS pump failure. check this thread for additional info.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=159490

Quote 4 da` day : MODDING is very essential to make your ML very SPECIAL
#4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: ML55
Williams1279 ... I sent you a PM ... I had exactly the same problem, I disconected the battery for almost 2 months when I left for vacation, after I returned and re-connnected the battery I found out that my rear - all three brake light - bulbs were burnt ... rest in PM ... good luck !!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 98-slk230; 02-ML500; 04-slk32; 08-E55; Ford150
Had the same problem!!! Took it into the stealer and it took them 1 1/2 week to find out there was a "short" in the computer box. Cost $1200 to replace!!! Luckly i told them my car was still under warranty.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1999 Benz. ML430, 2006 Toyota Avalon, 2002 Jag. S-Type (sold), 1985 Benz 380-S
Question ok, fixed the problem...here are the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams1279 View Post
Basically what I did was re-calibrate the brake sensor behind the brake pedal and then discontected the brake fluid sensor cleaned the contacts and topped off the brake fluid. After a couple hours driving around, all lights are still off and no beeping. I think I have statisfied the mercedes gods for today. I found this post very helpful and i did what this guys says....the link has a great brake line bleeding DIY indstrustions as well...post is about halfway down the threst by a poster named "pleubner"

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ing+constantly

On a side note, Never buy or bring your vehicle for service to RAY CATENA MB in Edison, NJ. I have been there several times when my ML430 has had various issues and every single time they completely misdiagnosed the problem and told me other more expenisve things were the culprit and needed replacing.....well over a grand in parts and labor estimate each time. Every time I fixed the issue(with the help of this board) for under 100 dollars. But i guess thats what you get bringing a car to a dealership owned by a known mafia associate....but hey, thats Jersey for ya.
What Did you mean by "re-calibrate the brake sensor behind the brake pedal "? How did you re-calibrate that switch???
My lights came on all of a sudden...I checked my brake fluid sensor and brake lights they are all OK. The dash light still won't go off? I never heard a beeping noise?
Thanks for your input,
"V"
#7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430 / 92 190E Sportline
Send a message via AIM to trickm911 Send a message via Yahoo to trickm911 Send a message via Skype™ to trickm911
mine has thesame ligth came on...took it out in a shop that have the scanner.
code came out with
C1200 - Stop lamp switch(s9/1) short/open circuit
C1210- Brake Fluid level switch (s11) short/open circuit
C1025 - Can Signal Stop Lamp switch
C1140ESP - Steering angle sensor
C1141ESP - ESP break pressure sensor 1 & 2

Monday im going to find out how much to replace all sensor from a local Mercedes shop and go from there.
it also gave a code of N47-5 which is the traction control module, which cost an arm and leg. im going to do the sensor first.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickm911 View Post
mine has thesame ligth came on...took it out in a shop that have the scanner.
code came out with
C1200 - Stop lamp switch(s9/1) short/open circuit
C1210- Brake Fluid level switch (s11) short/open circuit
C1025 - Can Signal Stop Lamp switch
C1140ESP - Steering angle sensor
C1141ESP - ESP break pressure sensor 1 & 2

Monday im going to find out how much to replace all sensor from a local Mercedes shop and go from there.
it also gave a code of N47-5 which is the traction control module, which cost an arm and leg. im going to do the sensor first.
Do yourself and the pocket you keep your money in a big favor, buy a Brake Light Switch from the dealer ($20) and install it.

If you have a scanner or code reader clear the codes or remove the negative battery cable for 1 min. and then re-attach.

After that turn the steering wheel all the way to the right side and then all the way to the left. This will reset the steering angle sensor on the steering column.

Then take it for a short drive making numerous turns and stepping on the brake and see if any ESP/BAS lights reappear.

Do not replace any sensors as you intend to do.

Also N47/5 is the Traction Control Module and does not need replacing. It is only mentioned in one of your codes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R&I Brake Light Switch.pdf (13.7 KB, 138 views)
#9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430 / 92 190E Sportline
Send a message via AIM to trickm911 Send a message via Yahoo to trickm911 Send a message via Skype™ to trickm911
thank you for the info 43sqd..i will try and get the part on Mondau and do it myself....i will let u know....

*If you have a scanner or code reader clear the codes or remove the negative battery cable for 1 min. and then re-attach*

so you are saying if i dont have a scanner or reader..i can just remove the negative battery cable for 1 min..and it will do the work like having a scanner?

Last edited by trickm911; 06-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 90 300E, 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It will clear soft codes. Hard codes will be stored in non volatile memory.
So with no power the soft codes clear out.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.