Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Serdar
(Thread Starter)
P0410 Secondary Air INjection System Malfunction

Hi,

My CEL just appeared and I found out that it was a P0410 Secondary Air INjection System Malfunction. I just need to know what this is exactly. If I drive it will it cause for more problems? Also, how can I fix it, is it a severe problem?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Send a message via AIM to laxman0324
RE: P0410 Secondary Air INjection System Malfunction

It is another air pump that pushes air into the exhaust so the cats can burn more pollution. I have the same problem, and have been driving with it since November. It does not affect drive train, just emmisions (I failed). Go to and indy, and it shouldnt cost more the $400 if it is the air pump, less if it is not. Im getting mine done soon at a place near me that replaced another man's for that price.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Unhappy p0410 problem e320

do you feel power loosage and acceleration as well?
i have same code i am planning to do it my self soon
robert
#4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
c32

Do you know the part number ? I'm having the same problem on my C32. GOD DAMM IT.... i do noitce my TEMP stays Over 95-97 when iam in traffic.... b4 its always max at 90.... could it be just the relay replacement ? rather than the whole unit ?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

To be honest, its something that you cant really do on your own unless you are really good with electrical things. I can tell you where the pump and the valve are, as the mecahnic that fixed mine described to me, but its hard to determine wether its just a wire or the pump itself on your own. Also, mine did run hot with the code, but that has a lot to do with my water pump on its way out while i had the code. I got hit with fixing both at the same time.

1999 Mercedes-Benz ML 320 - updated headlights and chrome grill strips...SOLD

1996 Honda Accord LX - 17x7 ADR Venomous Rims...STOLEN

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE - Clear turn signal lenses and Ravens spare tire cover...3" suspension lift, 17x8 Xterra S/C wheels with Rugged Trails, bull bar with KC Daylighters...SOLD

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE - VQ35 (250hp), 5 speed, 3" Suspension lift, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, Warn manual locking hubs
#6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 02:45 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: SL55
Power "loosage"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz334
do you feel power loosage and acceleration as well?
i have same code i am planning to do it my self soon
robert
I have the same issue, but no loss of power. And, I can only hope there is no loosage... sounds frightening to me... Acceleration? yes, I feel it, usually when I accelerate. But that's normal, isn't it?

Ok....any more questions?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Don't be so quick to think that it is the Air Pump that has gone bad. More often than not, problems in the Emission System of any vehicle are caused by bad solenoids or duty valves. In your case the Air Pump has a Switchover Valve attached to it, which could be bad.

When necessary the engine computer commands the switchover valve to open and at the same time it commands the air pump relay to activate which turns on the air pump.

I know you said you checked the fuses, but fuse #45 (40 amp) in the underhood fuse/relay box gives power to the Air Pump. Prior to the fuse is the Air Pump relay. Either one of these could be bad.

The Air Pump lists for $765.........not a wise investment since you really don't know it is bad. Pull off the top engine cover and the pump, is dead center on the top of the engine. Take off the two wire elec. connector and disconnect the hoses. Attach a wire from the neg. cable on the battery and a wire from the positive cable (long enough to reach the pump). Apply the neg. wire to where the BROWN wire was on the pump and then apply the positive wire to where the RED/WHITE wire was on the pump. If the pump works you can almost be assured the pump is good and the problem lies elsewhere.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
Don't be so quick to think that it is the Air Pump that has gone bad. More often than not, problems in the Emission System of any vehicle are caused by bad solenoids or duty valves. In your case the Air Pump has a Switchover Valve attached to it, which could be bad.

When necessary the engine computer commands the switchover valve to open and at the same time it commands the air pump relay to activate which turns on the air pump.

I know you said you checked the fuses, but fuse #45 (40 amp) in the underhood fuse/relay box gives power to the Air Pump. Prior to the fuse is the Air Pump relay. Either one of these could be bad.

The Air Pump lists for $765.........not a wise investment since you really don't know it is bad. Pull off the top engine cover and the pump, is dead center on the top of the engine. Take off the two wire elec. connector and disconnect the hoses. Attach a wire from the neg. cable on the battery and a wire from the positive cable (long enough to reach the pump). Apply the neg. wire to where the BROWN wire was on the pump and then apply the positive wire to where the RED/WHITE wire was on the pump. If the pump works you can almost be assured the pump is good and the problem lies elsewhere.
I have a 1998 c280 with the same code P410 secondary air injection system malfunction. Would the same fuse you mentioned in your message apply to the c280 or is it a different number? Also, there are five relays in the relay box next to the fuse box under the hood. Is one of these the air pump relay? Is the air pump on the c280 on top under the engine cover also? Sorry for so many questions, but this thing has been doggging me for months, and $1600 at teh dealership still hasn't fixed it. Anuy help would be much appreciated. Thanks
c280parent
#9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

its a simple repair if its something they can fix, its either a wire not sending power or not being grounded, the valve, the pump, the fuses associated, or the COMPUTER...

in my case everything was good but the computer, and they were quoting me 3k for a new computer and labor

1999 Mercedes-Benz ML 320 - updated headlights and chrome grill strips...SOLD

1996 Honda Accord LX - 17x7 ADR Venomous Rims...STOLEN

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE - Clear turn signal lenses and Ravens spare tire cover...3" suspension lift, 17x8 Xterra S/C wheels with Rugged Trails, bull bar with KC Daylighters...SOLD

2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE - VQ35 (250hp), 5 speed, 3" Suspension lift, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, Warn manual locking hubs
#10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c280parent View Post
I have a 1998 c280 with the same code P410 secondary air injection system malfunction. Would the same fuse you mentioned in your message apply to the c280 or is it a different number? Also, there are five relays in the relay box next to the fuse box under the hood. Is one of these the air pump relay? Is the air pump on the c280 on top under the engine cover also? Sorry for so many questions, but this thing has been doggging me for months, and $1600 at teh dealership still hasn't fixed it. Anuy help would be much appreciated. Thanks
c280parent
Give me till the weekend so I can get the wiring diagrams for your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.