Hesitation above 3k RPM when accelerating - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Hesitation above 3k RPM when accelerating

I own a 2000 ML320 and today there was a need to floor the gas pedal to overtake 2 cars in front of me. As I floored the gas pedal at about 60 MPH, i noticed hesitation above 3k RPM. It felt as if the gas was cutting out and as a result the car started to jerk. It does not happen when I am cruising, only when i accelerate above 3k RPM. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

charles
polousa2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Did you find out the cause of this? I have a similar problem.

princeginge@yahoo.co.uk
AdamNEUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320; 08 E350 4MATIC - P1 & SPORT PKG
Lifetime Premium Member
I get that too sometimes, but I thought that was the V6 kicking in when all of a sudden you make a switch from 40mph or less to 60mph in a split second.
lorryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
Hesitation above 3k RPM when accelerating

I had something similar when one of my coils went bad. At low rpms, it will work fine, but when I accelerated to higuer rpms, the whole engine will begin to miss and hesitate..

Use an OBDII to check which cylinders are missing, and you can change the coils to see if the cylinder number/side changes.. Make sure first that all your plugs/boots and connections are tight. If you have change spark plugs lately and did not push your boots all the way in, you may have similar simptoms.

Careful with the crooked dealers. Normally, they will string you with a list of other repairs/parts.. Normally, just one device breaks at a time.. If they come to you and want to change MAF, O2, Coils, etc.. go to another dealer because they are stringing you and can do it in different ways..

AC
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.
AC_ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Is the check engine light on? On my slk, it missed between 2000 and 3000 rpms. Turned out the MAF needed cleaning. If it is the MAF, you will get codes P0170 and p0173. Codes P0300, P030x are misfires. x=1-6

Last edited by Michael Pillay; 02-23-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Michael Pillay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by polousa2000
I own a 2000 ML320 and today there was a need to floor the gas pedal to overtake 2 cars in front of me. As I floored the gas pedal at about 60 MPH, i noticed hesitation above 3k RPM. It felt as if the gas was cutting out and as a result the car started to jerk. It does not happen when I am cruising, only when i accelerate above 3k RPM. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

charles
Search on "MAFS" or Mass Airflow sensor...
DaveN007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: ML320 CDI 2006 SAAB 9-3 Convertible 2004
I had this with my 2000 ML320 and was diagnosed as MAF going bad. Replaced and is driving like a sports car (OK, it revs cleanly right up to red line). But as was advised, get the codes checked first.
ml_saab is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class