BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MB Solution for ESP/ABS light coming on

Hey guys,

For about two weeks my BAS/ESP light on the intrument cluster would periodically come on, and stay on. The only performance change I noticed is that when I would make a turn, every once and awhile my ABS would engage although I was clearly not skidding.

I've heard stories of durt and such causing these sensors to make the car act funny. This made little sense as the ML was designed for some serious off-road business and a little dirt should not screw up the AWD system. So, my skepticism led me to take the car in to the dealer.

The dealer diagnosed the car by checking the fault codes (cost = $140). The result was the following:

INTERMITTENT
PREMATURE ABS ACTIVATION
LATERAL BODY ACCELERATION SENSOR

The dealer replaced the sensor (MB# 163-542-06-18) and the car seems to work fine. Total cost of repair was $360 (2/3 of which was labor).

I would like to get the MB Service CD (MB# T2700-163-05) but also the gadget which can get and translate the fault codes from the vehicle.

Can any recommend where to purchase the fault code reader and is it a cost effective investment?

Please advise. :D

BTW: I have a 1999 ML 430.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: MB Solution for ESP/ABS light coming on

Autozone and Advance auto has the gadget to read fault codes and they will do it for you for FREE!

It seems to be common to drop $400 to $500 everytime these money pits are in for service.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: 99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4

Quote:
cmitchprint - 2/8/2006 9:28 PM

Autozone and Advance auto has the gadget to read fault codes and they will do it for you for FREE!

It seems to be common to drop $400 to $500 everytime these money pits are in for service.

Autozone and Advance can only read emissions related fault codes.

Porsche Carrera 4 Cabriolet
BMW 530xi
MB W202 C230
MB W163 ML320 (SOLD)
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 2000 ML430

I also have the "Lateral Acceleration Sensor" fault code as you described... detected by my MB dealership when I took my 2000 ML430 for the CAT recall. $430 CAN but I turned down the repair. My indy guy is checking for after market sensor. Thanx for the Part # [:)] I have not noticed any performance issues even though my BAS/ESP light is on.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

The sensor is apparently located just behind the instrument cluster and is probably a DIY job (shop time was only 30 min after the 1 hour diagnosis). The part itself lists for about $150. My friend at the dealer told me that all of the new MB's have this sensor and it comes from the airline industry apparently.

My other MB is a W123 and I'm really not used to all of these electronics & required dealership visits (most of my time is spent in the parts dept, not the service dept.)

Has anyone purchased one of these OBDII scanners and what do they think about them? The cost seems to range from $50 to $2000 with $200 being the average.

I think all of us would prefer to find out what is going on with the car instead of having a shop charge us $140 to tell us each time a light comes on.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Well the owners manual says that if the ESP/BAS light is on... your ESP/BAS system will be shutdown. This may explain why you may not notice a performance difference as your driving conditions may not require it to be used.

Personally, I could care less if it is disabled or not except for when I go to Lake Tahoe. You see I really am not sure how this affects my AWD system in the snow. Since it is that time of the year... I decided to go have it fixed before heading up again this weekend.

Please let us know what happens on your quest for an aftermarket solution. With all of my discounts, the best I could get the part for was $97.

While I was waiting, a lady who owned a 2000 G-500 said she was bringing her car in for a similar problem. This made me feel a bit better as I sometimes wonder what I got myself into with the ML (lots of horror stories about them being a money-pit).
#7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CURRENT: 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet, 2002 C240 FORMER: 2001 ML320

Quote:
Benz-ene - 2/9/2006 8:55 AM
Has anyone purchased one of these OBDII scanners and what do they think about them? The cost seems to range from $50 to $2000 with $200 being the average.
Take a look at these posts:

http://benzworld.org/forums/search/query.asp?keywords=johnysales&searchforumid=29&aut hor=&days=&action=search

I bought one and I have (finally) been able to get it to work to read ECM (i.e. engine/emissions related) codes as well as instrument cluster codes. It also does a nice live data display from the ECM. I have not been able to read any codes from the AAB, ABS, ETS, D2B or other systems. Basically, if you look at the pinout of the ML’s OBDII connector, those other systems are on different pins, and the cable sold with the system only handles the “K� lines. This will also be the case with the hand-held readers used by Autozone and such. I have read online where some users have been able to re-jumper the connector on the K-line cable and get to some other system. I haven’t had time to try this yet.

There is a “correct� cable available for the Carsoft system that runs about $300 and supposedly will give access to all the systems as well as the ability to code them (i.e. enable fog lights, configure D2B components, etc.) on almost all MBZ vehicles. I found one on eBay that actually sold for under $200 but missed the close of the auction to bid. If you read one of the above mentioned threads, you will see member “killcrap� sells a Carsoft cable set for $340 and actually offered a $40 discount on a group buy with 10 members. If he’d do a little better, say $275, I get in on that.

I found a bootleg copy of the genuine Mercedes Star Diagnosis software and bought it (about $40) just to play with. I haven’t had time to install it yes (it requires some specific hard drive partitioning), but I did find that the cable for it is proprietary and goes for over $3,000!!!!

If you find anything else, let us know!

--

- RODNEY
#8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: ML320

Quote:
While I was waiting, a lady who owned a 2000 G-500 said she was bringing her car in for a similar problem. This made me feel a bit better as I sometimes wonder what I got myself into with the ML (lots of horror stories about them being a money-pit).
I think it's common w/ the newer cars.
The more "features", the more things that can go wrong.
Even the Acura MDX had its share of quirks, like eating trannies because they put a car tranny on it w/o a tranny cooler and people towed with it because it looked like it could tow :-)
Then there are the stereotypical VW electrical issues w/ the Touareg...
#9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W210 E300DT x2/w211wagon4M / Ford SD. Seeking diesel pushmower
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Benz-ene - 2/9/2006 7:04 AM

Well the owners manual says that if the ESP/BAS light is on... your ESP/BAS system will be shutdown. ...........

Personally, I could care less if it is disabled or not except for when I go to Lake Tahoe. You see I really am not sure how this affects my AWD system in the snow. ).
Logically, when you drive on the snow, turning ESP off is recommended. The system sense the over/under-steer and applies brake to the opposite wheel.
You might know, that sudden brake applications on snow never brings positive results, especially when driver is unaware about it.
Code readers is something that we never want to need, but it is nice to have it, when something happens. I used AutoZone free rental on my VW and got the advanced one. Buying something, that might be outdated in couple of years? It is your money. [xx(]
Than when you take the car to a dealer charging $120/HR by the time you finish the coffee they offer you, the bill is already in hundreds. What would you expect?
#10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
OBDII Code Scanners

The ODBII (On Board Diagnostic) port on our 163's is the ISO variant of the ODBII spec. The connecotr is the same in all cars, but only some of the pins are used in a given car. There are 3 different standards, but all you need to know is that we use the ISO standard. Most of the better $100 store bought scanners work with the ML. If a code is available, you will read it with any scanner. If a code is available, a problem of some sort exists.

There is a lot of other information available from this port, but it is not in the form of 'codes'. I have a 'Tekmate' USB scanner that connects to the car and my laptop. Software that came with it allows you to display selected info on the laptop in graph form. You can see the performance of the O2 sensors or MAF, or a whole pile of things on top of each other. It's cool only if your inclinded to think so.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class