Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 ML430 iPod Project -- CD changer AUX IN

18K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jan777 
#1 ·
I found the information in this forum very useful and wanted to return the favor by sharing my own experience. With my 2000 ML430 installation, I am able to keep my CD changer and automaticaly switch to my iPod when in play. Sorry if this is long winded, but it's sort of the history regarding how I came to my solution and may be useful to someone.

For a long time, I've been using the iTrip FM modulator to play an iPod over my car stereo speakers. (I eventually went to a tape converter, but that wasn't all that great, either. And it didn't keep my iPod charged.) I've been waiting even longer for Dension, Inc. to make an iPod conversion kit for my vehicle. I really like the look of the
Dension iPod cradle and wanted to mount it using the ProClip center mount.

I finally called Dension, and the salesman said that they had a kit for my vehicle after all. And he recommended using the I20 MB F1 kit -- Dension Ice>Link Plus for fiber optic Mercedes. When the kit arrived, the instructions did not specifically mention supporting my particular vehicle year, but the salesman insisted the fiberoptic kit would work with the 2000 ML, so I gave it a shot. Unfortunately, after several attempts to install the kit, I ended up returning it for a refund. My stereo would not recognize the Ice>Link Plus device in place of the CD changer.

After an exhaustive search for alternate iPod conversion kits, I finally settled on the Dension Ice>Link FM modulator from a dealer in the UK. FM modulators are less than ideal, but I was hoping that this device would be better than using an iTrip because it only transmits iPod signals, cutting out any other FM transmission. Plus, I would get to use the Dension iPod cradle I like so much.

When the kit arrived, I quickly discovered why this device is only available in the UK. Apparently, the UK uses FM frequencies such as 88.0, 88.4, and 88.8 MHZ. While the US uses frequencies such as 87.9, 88.1, and 88.3 MHZ. Unfortunately, my car stereo would not allow me to select any of the switched frequencies supported by the Ice>Link FM modulator. Not to be defeated, I did some research regarding FM modulators.

I found some good information on the web that described how FM modulation works. By reading these Tech Musings, I was able to open the Ice>Link FM modulator and figure out that the BH1416F FM Modulator chip was being used to generate UK frequencies. I also discovered that the BH1417F FM Modulator chip is used to generate US requencies. I then found that Futurlec, an electronic components dealer, sells these chips on line.

After receiving the new chip, I purchased a 15 watt soldering iron and removed the old chip. I simply snipped off the pins from the chip and used the soldering iron to clean up the circuit board. Referencing the BH1417F FM Modulator spec, I also switched pins 15 and 18 to generate alternate frequencies -- 87.9, 88.3, and 88.7 MHZ. If I simply replaced the existing chip, I would only have my choice of transmitting at 106.7 107.1, or 107.5 MHZ frequencies, which came in too strong -- 87.9 was free of any FM transmission.

Now that the new chip was installed, I plugged the FM modulator into the antenna of my stereo. The new chip appears to work well and I'm able to transmit at 87.9 MHZ, but the signal kept breaking up. Strangely, I noticed when the iPod back light is on, the signal was very strong and came in crystal clear. With the back light on, the voltage drops from 13v to a steady 9.0v. However, with the back light off, the voltage fluctuates between 9.0 and 10 volts. And each time the voltage fluctuates, the signal cuts out.

The Dension Ice>Link Plus instructions showed that I can connect the device ground to the common/coax shield of the audio inputs; however, I now suspect that this was incorrect. There is a specific radio ground that I probably should have connected to, but that's a moot point now. I ended up removing the FM modulator after reading this Benzworld blog about connecting the iPod directly to the audio wires from the CD changer.

This blog specifically mentions replacing the CD changer connector with a Blaupunkt adapter, providing RCA inputs. And it also provides a link to a schematic of the Mercedes-Benz M-class MY2000 MCS pinout, which shows the connections for the CD changer audio inputs. A quick test proved that I could jump these wires and play my iPod over my car stereo speakers. As long as I'm playing a CD, the stereo will output the signal from my iPod. And to omit any signals from the CD changer, I created a blank CD containing 80 minutes of silence, played repeatedly.

This solution was on the right track, but I really don't want to lose my CD changer -- I don't always have my iPod with me. Thus, I cut the audio input wires to the CD changer connector and soldered in RCA adapters. This looks similar to the Blaupunkt adapter, but without the 10 pin connector.

That said, I still wanted to use the Dension iPod cradle that came with the FM modulator, so I searched for the pinout schematic of the cradle's 8 pin Din connector. (I figured that someone must have hacked this together, already.) During my search, I came across an iLounge blog that describes how to modify the Dension cradle to work with a Belkin car charger. This would have worked well because the Belkin car charger has an auxiliary output I could use to connect to the new RCA adapters. However, I really didn't feel like creating my own cable with an 8 pin female Din connector. I could have cut a Sun/Apple keyboard cable, but I found something better.

Although it costs about $100, the Blitzsafe Universal iPod Interface uses the same 8 pin Din connector used by the Dension iPod cradle. After testing pin compatibility, I simply removed the iPod connector that came with the Blitzsafe device and plugged in the Dension cable. No custom cables or hacking the Belkin car charger required!

Now that I have my Dension iPod cradle plugged into the Blitzsafe Universal iPod Interface, the only thing left was to hook up the new RCA adapters. For now, I'm using a $15 2-way audio switch from RadioShack. This allows me to manually switch the RCA inputs between my CD changer and iPod. However, I found something even better. The Sony Auxiliary Audio Switch has unique current-sensing circuitry that automatically switches audio from the CD changer to the iPod, as soon as it senses an audio signal present at the RCA inputs from the iPod. The CD changer audio will reconnect automatically, 10 seconds after the iPod audio source is turned off.

In all, I figure that I've spent about $200+ on the Dension Ice>Link FM modulator, Blitzsafe Universal iPod Interface, Sony Auxiliary Audio Switch, and ProClip center mount. (In addition to the two weeks figuring all this out, with help from this forum.) Although, now I have a good looking cradle that automatically charges my iPod, great sound to my car stereo speakers, and I don't have to give up my CD changer.

Although I didn't actually use the FM modulator, I still have the Blitzsafe cable I can use with it -- I may give this device to someone else later. Apparently, you cannot purchase the Dension cradle without the kit, but it still beats $499 for the Dension Ice>Link Plus kit which didn't work, anyway.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are photos of the way I did it:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1231397&posts=10

In the past weeks I moved the ipod to the glovebox and upgraded the navigation unit. I really hate FM modulators as the sound quality of MP3's is bad enough without it having to be modulated into FM...

The Harman Kardon is awesome, only small problem is that the LCD is very sensitive to cold weather, so it takes longer to warm up than I do [:)]

#3 ·
To my surprise, the Dension Ice>Link FM provided good quality sound. However, I agree with your comments regarding FM modulation. Now that the iPod is connected to the AUX IN for my CD changer, the quality is much higher.

That said, I hope in describing how I came to my solution does not confuse anyone. The point I was trying to make here is that I am no longer using an FM modulator. I'm now using the Blitzsafe device to input audio to the AUX IN for my CD changer. And the Sony Auxiliary Audio Switch automatically changes the RCA signal from my CD changer to the iPod. Adding a manual switch is not required!

#5 ·
TimsML430 - 12/7/2005 7:05 PM

Hi Plan: How do I know if my CD Changer is on fiber optics? I am led to beleive the change was made in 2000. p.s. Very Good article!
So far the only cars with fiber are the new updated body style and some of the old bodied styled AMGs. If you have an 00ML your MCS is more than likely none fiber. if you have a fiber optic MCS then you should have a box under your passenger seat. I am thinking Fiber MCS came along as soon as Tele aid was put in the ML.

#6 ·
Andrew2004az - 12/7/2005 6:51 PM

So far the only cars with fiber are the new updated body style and some of the old bodied styled AMGs. If you have an 00ML your MCS is more than likely none fiber. if you have a fiber optic MCS then you should have a box under your passenger seat. I am thinking Fiber MCS came along as soon as Tele aid was put in the ML.
Actually, the D2B fiber bus was put in place for MY2001, which did coincide with the introduction of Teleaid. The MY2000 MCS actually has the fiber input and can use the Ice-Link:

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1214317

#7 ·
TimsML430 - 12/7/2005 7:05 PM

Hi Plan: How do I know if my CD Changer is on fiber optics? I am led to beleive the change was made in 2000. p.s. Very Good article!
Good question, I don't know. The only way I could find this information was to pull the radio myself. The CD changer of my 2000 ML430 plugs into the MCS unit using a 10 pin connector, but it also has a fiberoptic port. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the MCS unit to recognize my Ice>Link Plus using the fiberoptic port. However, I'm not all that disapointed because I still have use of my CD player now.

#10 ·
Hi All: I had a look for the "box" this p.m. and saw a 2" x 3" box bolted to the Passenger seat ( side plastic seat trim) with part # A163 820 19 10 stamped into it. Could this be the D2B fiber bus? It does have a 8 or 10 pin plugin at the front of the box. I also have a Bose Subwoofer A163 820 09 02 under the Drivers seat if that helps. Great forum and thanx[:)]

#11 ·
The D2B fiber bus is just that – a loop of standard fiber optic cable. It is a “ring� so there will always be a pair of cables running between each device. They will be thin, stiff orange colored wires that terminate in a black plastic plug.

The box you describe under the seat sounds like part of the NAV or integrated cell phone wiring. Even if you don’t have those options, they still have some of the circuits in place to make it an easier dealer upgrade. If you had TeleAid (which would be connected via D2B fiber) you’d have a larger box under the passenger seat – it’s almost as big as the Bose subwoofer under the driver’s seat.

#12 ·
Hi Guys: Excellent forum as usual! My CD changer is a Q6820363 which is non fiber[:(] I have not been able to determine if my MCS is fiber (I doubt it is) as I just ordered the "keys" today...$13.50 CAN and should be in 12/15/05. The I-Pod I want to hook up is Apple Model# MA003LL 60gb. I would like to be able to use my CD changer as an option. Any thoughts on this? BTW, no NAV or Single CD Player, but I do have the cassette unit (and it works! Man, does that take you back...) I tried the cassette today after I finally found my collection and had forgotten they had 2 sides![:)]
Any thoughts would be great! Thanx, Tim

#13 ·
perfect DIY aux for ML320 (no fiber)

I just finished the project, it works awesome. there is no comparison in quality between fm modulator and direct CD changer approach. FM cuts off frequencies on both sides of the spectrum so practically no good lows and good highs. Plus of course the interference from the stronger radio stations that you bump into here and there on the frequency you are using for playback.
I bought $2 (shipping included) 3.5mm AUX AUXILIARY CORD Male Male Stereo cables from ebay. see photos attached. I found little PC Male female power supply extension in my computer junk box - on ebay couple bucks. size wise they are perfect, again see photos. You need to cut the plastic housing to get the wires with metal connectors out, they have little hooks that need to be pushed in to get the metal out of the housing. (see photo) A little soldering involved between these two, use the multi-meter to make sure that connections are clean or trust your soldering skill (photo). Use black electric tape to provide insulation. This way you have a perfect direct cable tho. You need to flatten PS female connectors slightly to provide a good tight fit to the radio ISO pins. Squeeze it and try if it doesn't plug in squeeze a little more till works (photo shows round one and flat one to compere). Take the radio out using the key (I cut it out from the old credit card. It really works. Insert key into the slot, open tape door wiggle key a little puling lightly on the side of the tape deck door till you fill the radio moving out slightly, Do the same with the other side. you just need one key made. Radio pops out no problem.
Switch your radio to CD changer start playing CD if you care about whats on the display (it will display always the same state as when you unplug CD cable, use two blank CDs in CD1 and CD2 and switch between just before you unplug changer. It will display CD1 0:00 or such. Unplug cd changer plug our new made cable with 3 wires into AUD AUD AUDGRD (see photo). Run the cable down thru back. I actually had it go into the ash tray for perfect storage and clean install using steel wire to fish it out. Also you can buy a little USB port and plug it into that cigarette lighter port to have your iphone or such charged as you drive. If you ever disconnect car battery you need to go thru plug CD changer cable and unplug process again to fool the radio that CD is plugged in. Enjoy the perfect digital sound!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.