BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: ml500 w163 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
odb ii codes

OBD-II Codes

there's a list above on the p0221 codes. basically all the codes must be the same. If you can find the actually p0221 code on the MB source you have that would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You are misreading that PDF. Code listed there is P203C not P0203. You are also overestimating abilities of generic OBDII scanners. Generic code pool is to small to accommodate modern cars so MB specific codes get remapped. Problem in not MB specific.

On Boxster generic scanner pulls code P1128 and lists it as "Rear oxygen sensors swapped" while Porsche specific scanner desribes it as "S1B1 trim at limit"

Unless you have full body scan done with MB specific scanner you will not know what got remapped to P0221.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
#23 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 03:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
RUEY220, please understand that what I had previously posted is for generic code P0221 and to the left of that number is the corresponding manufacturer's code P203 B&C, which will always prevail. Note that manufacturer codes do not have a "zero" before their codes.

Examples: 1. If M/B extracts codes with their scanner and P0300 (random misfire) is revealed, that will be the code that they work with because there is no corresponding manufacturer code to trump it.

2. Then there are manufacturer codes which are proprietary and have no corresponding generic codes. Therefore they can only be extracted using their software.

Always remember that a generic scanner will only put you in the general vicinity of the problem, but it is up to the individual to decipher the information. Because a scanner says code P0221 TPS, that does not mean that the TPS is faulty and must be changed. There are so many variables that come into play that effect the proper operation of components. This is why many members and mechanics alike, become purblind when it comes to code reading, and as in your case, the TPS replacement did not solve the problem.
#24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: ml500 w163 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sqd View Post
RUEY220, please understand that what I had previously posted is for generic code P0221 and to the left of that number is the corresponding manufacturer's code P203 B&C, which will always prevail. Note that manufacturer codes do not have a "zero" before their codes.

Examples: 1. If M/B extracts codes with their scanner and P0300 (random misfire) is revealed, that will be the code that they work with because there is no corresponding manufacturer code to trump it.

2. Then there are manufacturer codes which are proprietary and have no corresponding generic codes. Therefore they can only be extracted using their software.

Always remember that a generic scanner will only put you in the general vicinity of the problem, but it is up to the individual to decipher the information. Because a scanner says code P0221 TPS, that does not mean that the TPS is faulty and must be changed. There are so many variables that come into play that effect the proper operation of components. This is why many members and mechanics alike, become purblind when it comes to code reading, and as in your case, the TPS replacement did not solve the problem.
yes i learned that the hard way about the TPS, my mechanic didn't even mention to me there was something mapped by Mercedes on the back end. However I still think that perhaps the TPS circuit issue was caused due to the ESP being set off while the sensor monitoring if the TPS is working failed.

The problem I have appears to have been fixed by changing the lateral acceleration sensor, from what I think p0221 was coming on when the ESP was applied although it really didn't warrant to be setoff. The throttle was being closed to drop engine speed on what it thought to be a slip (lateral accel was not being registered while car was actually infact moving forward and accelerating), and I kept the pedal down while the ESP had closed the throttle maybe?
#25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: '99 ML430, '12 Silverado
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Reviving this thread since this has started happening to my truck. It stalls sometimes when I come to a complete stop - usually the first one or two stops after I start it up after sitting overnight or all day, and after the engine has started to heat up - in other words, not when it's dead cold nor when it's fully warmed up. It's done that pretty consistently the last three or four days.

Today for the first time, after one of these stalls (and key out/key in restart), the BAS/ESP light came on and it lost power. We had a huge snowstorm Monday and Tuesday and I've been driving on snowpacked/icy roads. I'm wondering if these road conditions could cause this to happen?
#26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

I think maybe road conditions do have something to do with this - since the snow/ice was cleared off the roads, this has stopped happening.
#27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2002 ML55 AMG, 1999 C280
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPPH View Post
Reviving this thread since this has started happening to my truck. It stalls sometimes when I come to a complete stop - usually the first one or two stops after I start it up after sitting overnight or all day, and after the engine has started to heat up - in other words, not when it's dead cold nor when it's fully warmed up. It's done that pretty consistently the last three or four days.

Today for the first time, after one of these stalls (and key out/key in restart), the BAS/ESP light came on and it lost power. We had a huge snowstorm Monday and Tuesday and I've been driving on snowpacked/icy roads. I'm wondering if these road conditions could cause this to happen?
Hello MsPPH,

How is your battery?

Low power voltage makes these trucks do some strange things.
#28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Hmmn, I did have defrosters and seat heaters on all times it happened.

But........I think it might also have something to do with how rough the roads were - they were so unevenly cleared that my fillings were getting rattled out. And all the stalls happened right as I bounced to a particularly rough stop.

The ice/snow melted off over the weekend, and it's once again just as cold, but the roads are now dry and smooth.......and both things have stopped happening.
#29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPPH View Post
Hmmn, I did have defrosters and seat heaters on all times it happened.

But........I think it might also have something to do with how rough the roads were -
they were so unevenly cleared that my fillings were getting rattled out. And all the stalls happened right as I bounced to a particularly rough stop.

The ice/snow melted off over the weekend, and it's once again just as cold, but the roads are now dry and smooth.......and both things have stopped happening.
Have you checked your shocks ?

... and this important discussion continues.

Dooloogssst!
#30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Stalling and BAS/ESP light

I suggest replace the brake switch, fixed one of the problems with BAS/ESP light.
Also, I replaced the crankshaft sensor and it fixed the stalling problem.
The stalling would generally occur when the car got warm.
Brake switch is quite easy to replace.
The crankshaft sensor was a little difficult as it is the rear of the engine.
This is for my 2000 ML55 AMG, i am assuming this is a typical ML problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.